• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you tell me how to upgrade PC parts?

Just an educated guess here:

The one thing that may be of significance as far as upgrading your CPU to an i7 may be that VR Gaming might involve an element of multi-threading. One particular feature that lacks with the i5 CPU as opposed to an i7 CPU. Something to my knowledge that isn't an issue when it comes to more conventional games.

Came across one comment online that may validate this question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8xul4f/more_cpu_threads_worth_it_for_vr/

Thank you Judge. I just read the thread and bookmarked two of the links so I can read them later. I am sorry I am late in replying, sometimes I need time to catch up.

Yeah, VR does seem to require pretty good hardware. Even so, a lot of it feels a bit like "early access" to me.
My wife loves Beatsaber though. lol.
I have yet to find a game in VR that I think really makes VR hugely worthwhile over just playing on a PC... Maybe that'll be Alyx: Half Life, but I have yet to try that one.

I got Alyx: Half Life a few days ago during the Steam summer sale. I also got Zero Caliber which is astonishing. I hope you get to try it. I have not started Alyx yet. I am a little intimidated by its complexity. I do not know if it will run on my i5, a little worried about that.

There have been so many amazing things in VR, I have been simply astonished. Google Earth VR is so incredible that if there were nothing else in VR, I would think the whole system I got, the PC and Oculus, worth it. I have traveled the world, seen people, and relived memories.

I wish everyone would try VR and see what it is like. No one could have described it to me, it has to be experienced. It is not like looking at a screen. Maybe you and most people already know that but I did not. One of the most remarkable things I have done and I was told about it here on aspie central. The nature program I have lets me go to a beautiful sunny quiet place all by myself, it is transcendent.

The OP in the thread about VR said they thought VR could be especially good for autistic people and I think so. It has been for me. I wish there were a program that would give me a virtual A.I. friend. I would visit them every day.

I got Alyx: Half Life a few days ago during the Steam summer sale. I also got Zero Caliber which is astonishing. I hope you get to try it. I have not started Alyx yet. I am a little intimidated by its complexity. I do not know if it will run on my i5, a little worried about that.

There have been so many amazing things in VR, I have been simply astonished. Google Earth VR is so incredible that if there were nothing else in VR, I would think the whole system I got, the PC and Oculus, worth it. I have traveled the world, seen people, and relived memories.

I wish everyone would try VR and see what it is like. No one could have described it to me, it has to be experienced. It is not like looking at a screen. Maybe you and most people already know that but I did not. One of the most remarkable things I have done and I was told about it here on aspie central. The nature program I have lets me go to a beautiful sunny quiet place all by myself, it is transcendent.

The OP in the thread about VR said they thought VR could be especially good for autistic people and I think so. It has been for me. I wish there were a program that would give me a virtual A.I. friend. I would visit them every day.

I'll give Zero Caliber a look see too!
I get sick from a lot of the games that have thumbstick movement though. So, not sure if Alyx will work for me at all. I'm hoping cause the graphics are higher end, it might...?
We'll see I guess.
I have a Quest 2, my wife has the Rift S. We both like our own better. She finds the Quest 2 terribly uncomfortable, but it doesn't bother me. I can't stand the cable on the Rift S, it always gets in my way.

"I'll give Zero Caliber a look see too!"

I would like to know if you enjoy it. I love being able to use a scoped rifle to hit targets and teh action is so real.

"I get sick from a lot of the games that have thumbstick movement though. So, not sure if Alyx will work for me at all. I'm hoping cause the graphics are higher end, it might...?
We'll see I guess."

I really hope so. I have gotten very sick. So sick I thought I would need to run to the bathroom. It has gotten better with experience but it still happens. There is a glitch that happens sometimes with my Rift S, suddenly the whole screen will move with my head movement, instead of me being able to look around. That makes me sick in a 10th of a second, to see a whole room heave like that. I have learned to instantly close my eyes and unplug and plug back in my headset, that fixes it.

"I have a Quest 2, my wife has the Rift S. We both like our own better. She finds the Quest 2 terribly uncomfortable, but it doesn't bother me. I can't stand the cable on the Rift S, it always gets in my way."

The cable on my Rift S bothers me a lot too but I was told that I could play more and better games using it and connected to a PC than the stand-alone Quest. I am very curious about the Quest though. I would love to be able to be away from the cable. I see that they no longer sell the Rift S and that concerns me because I cannot replace mine when the time comes. I hope they come out with a Quest 3 that is as good as the Rift S.

PC Part Picker is great if you want to know if everything you have will fit with everything you’re keeping - and it’ll also tell you if your case is too small.

Based on your level of knowledge, though, I think it’s a bit risky for you to take instructions from someone online and just try it. I suggest a lot more research and, ideally, a competent friend to help with the installation.

PC Part Picker is great if you want to know if everything you have will fit with everything you’re keeping - and it’ll also tell you if your case is too small.

Based on your level of knowledge, though, I think it’s a bit risky for you to take instructions from someone online and just try it. I suggest a lot more research and, ideally, a competent friend to help with the installation.

Thank you for your advice. I have so far replaced the RAM sticks and installed a second SSD. I read articles, watched videos and got advice. The RAM was not so complicated the SSD was very difficult. I thought the connector supplied both power and transferred data but it did not and I kept trying different things to get the PC to recognize it. It was pretty tough.

I finally discovered I needed to also give it a separate power connection. There was a bundle of wires and connectors in my PC case. I looked at Google images for the connector used for this kind of SSD and then matched that with what I saw in the case. I connected that and the PC saw it. Then I had to follow a Youtube video on the set up including formatting the disc, which I still don't know what that is but it all worked and I followed another video to transfer some files and set a Windows Restore Point. Not sure what that is either.

I have not figured out how to put a copy of my Windows OS on the second drive.

I just bookmarked PC Part Picker. My other idea was to upgrade the CPU but everything has been working fine and I do not think I need to. Also it seems a little tricky. I will wait for now.

The help here has is how I have been able to do all this, thank you everyone :)

I thought I was supposed to because my first drive could fail. I have no reason of my own. I saw it mentioned in a video. Is it not necessary?

Don't see why it would be necessary - especially because space is at a premium on SSD’s and it would take up a large number of GB. Also, you can’t really practically boot two OS at once.

Just do a system restore disk, if you don’t already have one, and back up your important data to somewhere.

Any drive can fail - but having a whole other installed OS isn’t really the solution. Backups are the solution - not least because your OS is basically a purchased product anyway. Your backup for that is your installation disk / system restore disk. Those don’t contain your settings or data, though. You’ll have to do those separately.

Don't see why it would be necessary - especially because space is at a premium on SSD’s and it would take up a large number of GB. Also, you can’t really practically boot two OS at once.

Just do a system restore disk, if you don’t already have one, and back up your important data to somewhere.

Any drive can fail - but having a whole other installed OS isn’t really the solution. Backups are the solution - not least because your OS is basically a purchased product anyway. Your backup for that is your installation disk / system restore disk. Those don’t contain your settings or data, though. You’ll have to do those separately.

I don't have any discs. My PC did not come with any. What is a system restore disk?

I have Windows 10 Home version. I have no DVD or CD drive in the computer but I have an external DVD I could use.

What is a system restore disk?

This should explain everything: 3 Free Ways to Create Windows 10 Recovery Disk or USB Drive

Basically it’s a disk or drive that will allow you to boot your OS from that drive (rather than the installed OS on your PC) in case of needing to do major repairs / reinstall. It’s specifically for times when you may not be able to boot your device at all - which would mean that you couldn’t access the internet for other kinds of repair or to redownload Windows.

In the dark, distant past, people bought their OS on CD anyway - and the installation disk doubled as the system recovery disk. Since those days are gone now, it’s always wise to make your own.

Since you don’t have a DVD drive in your PC, I’d recommend making the USB boot drive - just in case your external DVD drive requires anything further than plug-and-play while in the bios.

This should explain everything: 3 Free Ways to Create Windows 10 Recovery Disk or USB Drive

Basically it’s a disk or drive that will allow you to boot your OS from that drive (rather than the installed OS on your PC) in case of needing to do major repairs / reinstall. It’s specifically for times when you may not be able to boot your device at all - which would mean that you couldn’t access the internet for other kinds of repair or to redownload Windows.

In the dark, distant past, people bought their OS on CD anyway - and the installation disk doubled as the system recovery disk. Since those days are gone now, it’s always wise to make your own.

Since you don’t have a DVD drive in your PC, I’d recommend making the USB boot drive - just in case your external DVD drive requires anything further than plug-and-play while in the bios.

Thank you for the instructions. I have bookmarked the page you linked to. I cannot do the work right now but I will as soon as I can.

New Threads

Top Bottom