• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

can someone help me understanding my current behavior

D'Andre

so i wanted to type this during this behavior so you guys can maybe educate me. i'm

*rocking in a zoned out way (head tilting back with eyes rolling back) no pain. it feels like its' helping something.
*my hands (though they can type) are lacking coordination and clapping, flapping.
*i feel like pressure is building in my head and my chest, but when i let myself zone out like this, it's relieving.
*im also mouthing incoherent words that that make my mouth feel stretched
*I tried rocking side to side with my head hanging/swinging.

this is a bit embarrassing but it it helps me understand what it is, it's worth it. is it stimming? i'm also very tired after work
it feels like the most natural thing (almost to the point of euphoria) but my mind is present. please offer any confirmation or perhaps
another reason. its much better than those clinched up, imploding moments curled up writhing and feeling swallowed up and often crying out and hitting myself.
please excuse the nuttiness in this post. i want to be as real as possible because you guys keep it real.

Hi @D’andre, just curious, are you saying this behavior you described is precipitated by feeling stressed or tired?

It sounds like very familiar behavior to me, I do many of the same things. Usually I start doing it unconsciously; it also calms me down in times of stress or sometimes boredom… Or sometimes for no particular reason at all.

so i wanted to type this during this behavior so you guys can maybe educate me. i'm

*rocking in a zoned out way (head tilting back with eyes rolling back) no pain. it feels like its' helping something.
*my hands (though they can type) are lacking coordination and clapping, flapping.
*i feel like pressure is building in my head and my chest, but when i let myself zone out like this, it's relieving.
*im also mouthing incoherent words that that make my mouth feel stretched
*I tried rocking side to side with my head hanging/swinging.

this is a bit embarrassing but it it helps me understand what it is, it's worth it. is it stimming? i'm also very tired after work
it feels like the most natural thing (almost to the point of euphoria) but my mind is present. please offer any confirmation or perhaps
another reason. its much better than those clinched up, imploding moments curled up writhing and feeling swallowed up and often crying out and hitting myself.
please excuse the nuttiness in this post. i want to be as real as possible because you guys keep it real.
Yup, that's stimming alright.

Agree with stimming.

Physiologically, the brain is in a hyper excitable state. Stress and emotions can be triggers. Sometimes it's an underlying "baseline" state. Essentially, it is when the brain has an imbalance of excitatory neurotransmitters and not enough inhibitory neurotransmitters. The brain is firing across the neurotransmitter and then there is insufficient uptake/inactivation,...so that chemical just sits between the two neurons and keeps stimulating,...resulting in "repetitive" and "stimming" behaviors. The most common ones in the brain are glutamine/glutamate/glutamic acid (excitatory) and GABA (inhibitory). You can purchase GABA over-the-counter as an oral "vitamin" supplement, but unless you have a "leaky" blood-brain barrier (BBB), very little of it is going to cross over and do it's job. L-theanine does cross the BBB and blocks the glutamate at the post synaptic membrane,...essentially allowing for more GABA to remain,...improving the excitatory:inhibitory balance. B6, methyl B12, methyl folate help with the metabolic processes of neurotransmitter production and re-uptake. A better way to do this is with a L-theanine + caffeine + B6, methyl B12/folate "stack".

Just a few articles on the topic. If you do a search for "autism and methyl B12" "L-theanine and caffeine and autism", "B6 and autism" and then limit the search to the past 5 years or so, you will find several articles explaining it's effects on the brain.

I do not have issues with obvious stimming behaviors,...but this stack helps keep my mind clear throughout my stressful days at work. You may find it difficult to find L-theanine and methyl B12 at your local vitamin shop/market,...I get mine on-line. For reference, I am using 400mg L-theanine in the am, 200 in the pm,...so, a lot more than what is found in green tea,...but that's me,...and I am not going to make any suggestions to you with regards to dosing,...that's up to you.

Use of Nutritional Supplements Based on L-Theanine and Vitamin B6 in Children with Tourette Syndrome, with Anxiety Disorders: A Pilot Study

Hi @D’andre, just curious, are you saying this behavior you described is precipitated by feeling stressed or tired?

It sounds like very familiar behavior to me, I do many of the same things. Usually I start doing it unconsciously; it also calms me down in times of stress or sometimes boredom… Or sometimes for no particular reason at all.
I have times when I go full force after being in public or family for an extended period of time. Or when I'm excited about something, also when I'm anxious. I guess the intensity depends on the sensory "level"? And for years I didn't know how to relieve that "energy" and I got upset, but man has it brought relief.

Agree with stimming.

Physiologically, the brain is in a hyper excitable state. Stress and emotions can be triggers. Sometimes it's an underlying "baseline" state. Essentially, it is when the brain has an imbalance of excitatory neurotransmitters and not enough inhibitory neurotransmitters. The brain is firing across the neurotransmitter and then there is insufficient uptake/inactivation,...so that chemical just sits between the two neurons and keeps stimulating,...resulting in "repetitive" and "stimming" behaviors. The most common ones in the brain are glutamine/glutamate/glutamic acid (excitatory) and GABA (inhibitory). You can purchase GABA over-the-counter as an oral "vitamin" supplement, but unless you have a "leaky" blood-brain barrier (BBB), very little of it is going to cross over and do it's job. L-theanine does cross the BBB and blocks the glutamate at the post synaptic membrane,...essentially allowing for more GABA to remain,...improving the excitatory:inhibitory balance. B6, methyl B12, methyl folate help with the metabolic processes of neurotransmitter production and re-uptake. A better way to do this is with a L-theanine + caffeine + B6, methyl B12/folate "stack".

Just a few articles on the topic. If you do a search for "autism and methyl B12" "L-theanine and caffeine and autism", "B6 and autism" and then limit the search to the past 5 years or so, you will find several articles explaining it's effects on the brain.

I do not have issues with obvious stimming behaviors,...but this stack helps keep my mind clear throughout my stressful days at work. You may find it difficult to find L-theanine and methyl B12 at your local vitamin shop/market,...I get mine on-line. For reference, I am using 400mg L-theanine in the am, 200 in the pm,...so, a lot more than what is found in green tea,...but that's me,...and I am not going to make any suggestions to you with regards to dosing,...that's up to you.

Use of Nutritional Supplements Based on L-Theanine and Vitamin B6 in Children with Tourette Syndrome, with Anxiety Disorders: A Pilot Study

So kind of you. I will check them out

You only said you want to understand your behavior. Do you have any desire to alter it?

You only said you want to understand your behavior. Do you have any desire to alter it?
Only if its unhealthy, otherwise I'm OK, it actually brings some relief. So I guess I needed some feedback of where it could be coming from. I've started allowing myself to stem in public minimally and in smaller scale around loved ones, its time to put my comfort before critical people. Its not hurting anyone

New Threads

Top Bottom