• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Building Online College Search Database for Autistic Students

I am writing today because I am looking for input from autistic students (high school and college) and their parents.

I am working on creating a searchable database to help autistic students choose a college where they can be successful as the current databases available online don't seem to include any information specific to autistic students. It will be a FREE resource when I am done.

But I am only 1 parent and don't want to create what I 'think' other parents/ students want to see.

I am offering a chance for parents and autistic college students to work with me to help decide what information to include in the database.

Right now I have an excel spreadsheet with over 3000 colleges and universities listed. It has basic address information and a web link. I have added web links for autism support services for ~80 of them. I am not sure what other information to add before I turn the spreadsheet into something easier to use online.

I am will use your feedback and ideas to build a beta version and then offer a preview in March/April to get more feedback. Then officially launch in May.

If I could create the 'perfect' online searchable database, what information should it include?

Thanks for your feedback.

I thought I would give an update on what I have done so far.

I have an excel spreadsheet of over 5000 colleges and universities across the country with their basic address, phone and website information.

I am working through this and adding a link to any additional services they provide, either themselves or through a 3rd party vendor (I am only including those that have links.)

I am going to upload this spreadsheet into my website using software that will turn it into a searchable database.

Obviously I only want to have to do this exercise once if possible, so I am wondering what other information to include?

Tentatively I plan to include:
Majors
Degrees available (i.e. certificate, associate,bachelors, masters)
On Campus Housing; Yes or no
Public or Private college
Link to financial aid for the college

What else is important to include?

Thanks for your help.

New Threads

Top Bottom