• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

British spelling

I'd be in a lot of trouble I went about spelling everything like a may pronounce it. :eek:

I prefer plenty of Us and I like to replace my Zs with Ss. And I prefer "theatre". American spellings don't bother me, most of them I find amusing. It's kind of cute how America is the rebellious little teenager trying to stand apart from Britain by measurements, driving on the wrong side of the road, spelling and word definitions, but then so much like Britain in the sense of meddling all over the place. I don't know if we've done something as drastic as the India/Pakistan thing, but I wouldn't be surprised!

Random note, I'm surprised Alabama didn't have more green for pee-can. I hear a lot of talk about eating pee-can pies (and then plenty of giggling in my family because we don't fancy slop jars as a pastry).

There's a few places spelt differently than it's pronounced, like...

Cockburn (co-burn) ... this is amusing when tourists say it wrong. I used to think it was Cockburn too. Ouch! lol

Tolquhon (taw-hon)
Berwick (berrick)

To name a few!

American spellings are always right because Americans are the only people who know how to speak the One True English. Agree with us or our bloated military will come bomb you.
What? The Americans are more English than the English? I doubt it. I thought that was the Kiwis! :p
Ok, so how do you say Brougham?
Nothing annoys me more than Americans following a 'rout' instead of a route! But maybe your last sentence explains it :)

To those complaining about the spell checker, why not just change the default dictionary? Come on, you're aspies, you can do this!

Last edited:
I am British, but have had to produce documents for American customers in the past. I generally try to produce things in the version of English that is appropriate for the recipient.

However, once I let a 'Britishism' slip through, and was told by an American customer: "I see you've used English English there." My reply: "We just call it English - the clue is in the name!"

Joking aside, the biggest advantage of British English over US English is that we use the word 'Autumn' rather than 'Fall'; this leads to the beautiful word 'Autumnal', a lovely, smooth, round sounding word.

New Threads

Top Bottom