• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brain on and off switches

Pats

V.I.P Member
So, apparently I still forget that everyone else's brains don't work like mine. :) I was talking to my sister and I was going to tell her how sometimes my daydreams will actually affect my heart rhythm (like getting overly excited trying to take a perfect photo of a moose in front of the Tetons). Yes, my heart will start racing with excitement. So, anyhow, I was saying, "Have you ever, when you daydream....." I stopped and then asked, "Wait. Do you day dream?" She said no. I said, Oh, okay, then never mind. I thought everyone day dreamed.

So I was looking up to find interesting articles on autism and daydreaming. I found one titled Autistics and non Autistics daydream differently, so I was reading it and it was talking about some tests they've done - measuring or watching the brain on MRI's or whatever. It was saying that the NT's at rest, one part of the brain kind of shuts off and another part of the brain starts, which is the "at rest" part of the brain turns on. Autistics don't change, don't go to the "at rest" part of the brain. There's no on and off switch and it's like our brain stays in that active mode with no 'at rest' mode.

It actually answers questions I've had about NT's being able to think about nothing _ which I can not grasp. And why our daydreams are so vivid and have an impact on us. (hopefully, good impacts ) :)
I do know that daydreaming has helped me get through a lot of times that would have been impossible otherwise. Like at work - daydreaming as I work. I did call my sister back and was explaining all this to her. She responded to this with that she could not work Math problems while day dreaming about Johnny Depp. I told her, "Yes she could, she could be showing him how to do the math problem." So I found a meme of him doing a math problem in his head and sent it to her. LOL

"...the resting network of autistic people does not fire up or switch off - it just keeps ticking over.

The researchers conclude that autistic people, whose resting network is not fired up while resting, do not daydream in the same way non-autistic people do.

They also found that those whose resting network activity levels differed the most from the control group's were precisely the ones with the most abnormal levels of social behaviours. There was a clear correlation between low levels of activity in the resting network during rest with difficulties in social behaviours.

Kennedy said it is very hard to know what autistic people are thinking when resting, when the mind is allowed to wander. The higher the severity of an individual's autism is, the more repetitive his/her thoughts tend to be while resting - they are drawn by stereotyped thoughts, such as calendars, schedules, maps, computers - fixed, rigid things."

Autistic Individuals Do Not Daydream Like Non-autistic People Do

So, apparently I still forget that everyone else's brains don't work like mine. :) I was talking to my sister and I was going to tell her how sometimes my daydreams will actually affect my heart rhythm (like getting overly excited trying to take a perfect photo of a moose in front of the Tetons). Yes, my heart will start racing with excitement. So, anyhow, I was saying, "Have you ever, when you daydream....." I stopped and then asked, "Wait. Do you day dream?" She said no. I said, Oh, okay, then never mind. I thought everyone day dreamed.

So I was looking up to find interesting articles on autism and daydreaming. I found one titled Autistics and non Autistics daydream differently, so I was reading it and it was talking about some tests they've done - measuring or watching the brain on MRI's or whatever. It was saying that the NT's at rest, one part of the brain kind of shuts off and another part of the brain starts, which is the "at rest" part of the brain turns on. Autistics don't change, don't go to the "at rest" part of the brain. There's no on and off switch and it's like our brain stays in that active mode with no 'at rest' mode.

It actually answers questions I've had about NT's being able to think about nothing _ which I can not grasp. And why our daydreams are so vivid and have an impact on us. (hopefully, good impacts ) :)
I do know that daydreaming has helped me get through a lot of times that would have been impossible otherwise. Like at work - daydreaming as I work. I did call my sister back and was explaining all this to her. She responded to this with that she could not work Math problems while day dreaming about Johnny Depp. I told her, "Yes she could, she could be showing him how to do the math problem." So I found a meme of him doing a math problem in his head and sent it to her. LOL

This sounds like me. I resonate strongly with the various descriptions of "maladaptive daydreaming" but I don't consider mine maladaptive...it doesn't seem to harm me or interfere with life at all, and I don't know what I would do without it, because in three decades I've literally never not had a movie of sorts playing in my head for more than maybe 15 minutes. I think if I suddenly stopped doing it I'd feel like something was broken.

My daydreams definitely affect my emotions, heart rhythm, etc. I even jump or twitch if I'm imagining participating in sports, for instance.

"...the resting network of autistic people does not fire up or switch off - it just keeps ticking over.

The researchers conclude that autistic people, whose resting network is not fired up while resting, do not daydream in the same way non-autistic people do.

They also found that those whose resting network activity levels differed the most from the control group's were precisely the ones with the most abnormal levels of social behaviours. There was a clear correlation between low levels of activity in the resting network during rest with difficulties in social behaviours.

Kennedy said it is very hard to know what autistic people are thinking when resting, when the mind is allowed to wander. The higher the severity of an individual's autism is, the more repetitive his/her thoughts tend to be while resting - they are drawn by stereotyped thoughts, such as calendars, schedules, maps, computers - fixed, rigid things."

Autistic Individuals Do Not Daydream Like Non-autistic People Do
Yea, I think I've kinda got 2 similar topics going here. One being daydreaming - the other being non resting brain mode. :)

This sounds like me. I resonate strongly with the various descriptions of "maladaptive daydreaming" but I don't consider mine maladaptive...it doesn't seem to harm me or interfere with life at all, and I don't know what I would do without it, because in three decades I've literally never not had a movie of sorts playing in my head for more than maybe 15 minutes. I think if I suddenly stopped doing it I'd feel like something was broken.

My daydreams definitely affect my emotions, heart rhythm, etc. I even jump or twitch if I'm imagining participating in sports, for instance.
I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. :)

Not at all. I always felt kinda crazy until I got involved with the autism community and learned that it's actually incredibly common (among people on the spectrum, maybe not so much in general.)

The twitching when you are daydreaming! Yes! And it is so embarrassing. Usually it's me cringing about something painful.

The twitching when you are daydreaming! Yes! And it is so embarrassing. Usually it's me cringing about something painful.

If it makes you feel any better (or it's just a cool fact) I've seen figure skaters do the same thing when they're mentally reviewing their routine before the olympics!

I am shocked to learn that other people don’t physically experience emotions/physiological state changes like heart rate increase as they daydream about experiencing emotions/physiological state changes.....I don’t even understand how that is possible.

My brain has no "off" switch. It's tiring. The best I can do is focus my attention on something interesting. I had a conversation with my brother today about liking or disliking resorts. I find resorts boring. He said that I was missing out on a lot of relaxation. My response was to rationalize my lack of interest in swimming pools, massive buffets, cocktail bars, and moon-lit seascapes. It's fun for a short while (20 minutes), but I wouldn't want to spend more than a day at such a place. He felt sorry for me not being able to relax to the point where I can just enjoy the "relaxing nothingness" among luxurious convenience and opulent surroundings. I agreed with him, but that doesn't change my original attitude about doing nothing but laze around. I've tried it and I don't like it. I'd be happier on a hike, or on a road trip where the scenery is new to me and changes all the time. I like visiting cities for their architectural variety and ambiance. Nothingness bores me, but my only recourse is to remain attentive to interests and activities. What I enjoy is the same thing that tires me out. I don't see it as a choice. I need the mental stimulation.

New Threads

Top Bottom