• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Blurred vision anyone?

OrdinaryCitizen

When i watch some ASD infomercials i get feeling that they over exaggerating how people with ASD feel, this blurred vision for instance, someone here ever get blurred vision at any point?

Keep in mind, these are dramatizations. The creators of the video are trying to show something visually that does not in fact exist in a purely visual form. Since they cant exactly shove internal sensations and thoughts into the minds of viewers, they have to settle for trying to "simulate" it with visual and audio effects during the video.

Which is part of the problem really. These videos can do an okay job at giving an NT person an idea of what this stuff is like, but only a bit. They cant REALLY get an understanding of it without experiencing it... that's part of what makes it so hard to explain to people.

That's kinda weirdly similar to schizophrenic simulation videos. It seems demented almost. I guess she's non-verbal? I feel like the attempt to convey sensory sensitivities wasn't completely terrible though.

I get blurred vision similar to what the video is depicting when I have migraines or become intensely upset about something, but it is far from a constant occurrence. I would say that the video is somewhat consistent my view during these times, but it it is misleading in that it does not emphasize how infrequently such events occur. That being said though, I suspect this is probably much more characteristic of migraines than ASD.

I very rarely get blurred vision, but the glare and sound are accurate for me. The video is difficult for me to watch because of these effects, a lot of documentaries are difficult to watch for the same reason.

That dramatization appears to me most like what I feel and how things look and sound when I get
an anxiety attack. It is called depersonalization or derealization which is the brain's way of actually
trying to protect itself through a type of dissociative sensation.
It feels awful, but, getting to yourself and away from everything or if you can actually lay down and rest
for a while, it goes away.

Anxiety can create blurred or even somewhat double vision due to the chemicals released during anxiety.
Cytokines and histamine causes the eyes to become dry or overly teary and adrenaline will dilate the
pupils. IF the anxiety is almost constant the optic nerve will eventually become inflamed.
The reason some people have experienced total loss of sight from trauma.

It's somewhat exaggerated but fairly accurate depiction of me at a restaurant, except blurry vision and the derealization at the end. Just watching this got my adrenaline pumping.
Sensing all those little sounds from a distance...totally.

At what time interval in above video they show derealization?
Well, it's not at the end, more like a half of the video starting around 1.26 where everything gets slow and floaty. I think it's what they are trying to show. I had a little of it here and there and it's impossible to depict really.

I do when especially overwhelmed. Then everything just shuts off and I can't understand a thing, quite like in the video really. I would say it's as close a portrayal as a short video could get...

Anyone, you saw the eyes of the people? The judgmental eyes? 'What's wrong with her' and 'Of course, like always' eyes? Nasty. They always make me feel so ashamed of myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom