• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bizarre warning on "Post a photo of your current (appropriate) desktop wallpaper" thread

Sportster

Aged to Perfection
V.I.P Member
I saw something I didn't understand. I'm using Google Chrome and windows 7. I click to access the thread, but that weird warning pops up; it doesn't even go to the thread, it just pops up the red screen and warning. I have never visited the site that's supposedly dangerous, so I haven't a clue what it is or who they are. I'm going to run my checkers again to see if something got on my machine, but I find it odd that the thread in question is the only one I'm having a problem with

Last edited:
Hi Sportster,

This screen has nothing to do with Aspiecentral. It's your browser: A googlechrome warning, "The “Deceptive site ahead” security error message in Google Chrome is a security protocol that blocks you from landing on deceptive websites."

Read the rest here: http://botcrawl.com/deceptive-site-ahead/

I've checked 99wallpaper.com and it may have a browser redirector or malware, so it might be a good idea to find another wallpaper site to use.

By the way, it does not mean that the current wallpaper on your computer is a problem, simply means that the 99wallpaper site has become problematic, it's indicated on ten spambag lists, so it may be compromised.

Last edited:
I just wonder how Google is parsing this. Whether or not it's simply detecting onload event handlers that automatically redirect, or something far more sinister from that particular domain?

With Firefox redirects are always prompted. I seldom click ok on them unless I'm already familiar with where they redirect.

Interestingly enough, just googling that domain doesn't seem to list any links overtly warning people of hostile redirects. A browser false-positive, perhaps?

Sportster, do you get the same warning if you just access this domain directly, or only when going/coming from this domain?

This is what keeps popping up on my screen when I try to access the "Post a photo of your current (appropriate) desktop wallpaper" thread:

View attachment 25418

Any idea what the heck is going on or has anyone else seen this? It will not let me past on that thread only. I use MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, but I have never seen such a warning appear with either of them.

The exact same warning comes up for me too, when I try to view that thread.

But have either of you attempted to access this domain directly? Not from within this domain.

Just trying to isolate what might be the source of the issue.

I have not. As I mentioned, I have never visited the site or know anything about it. And frankly, if it's stirring up some issues, I'd rather not visit the site. I tried again a little while ago to access the thread but got the same response; the crazy red warning popped up.

This is mere speculation from a layman that knows squat about computers, but is it possible that someone posted a desktop on the thread that our machines are detecting as a problem? I was going to post my latest desktop, but it won't let me get past the warning. I can go anywhere on AC except that particular thread.

If this aspect of your browser is functioning properly, I'd think accessing the domain directly would generate the same warning. And keep you from actually accessing the domain in question.

The result of a browser database being updated that is aware that someone within that domain has created a hostile redirect. If not, then it may well just be a false-positive between what it reads inside this domain and something pertinent to the other one.

The fact that Google's search engine has nothing to warn people about makes me think false-positive more than anything.

Last edited:
I am seriously wondering if someone posted a desktop that has an embedded link or something that Chrome is seeing as a problem. Any ideas on that theory?

Google's own "safe browsing site status" delivers the same warning. Current status= "dangerous". "We last updated our information about www.99wallpaper.com on May 2, 2016."

It might also reflect something else...like low quality advertising networks. They might be referring to ads linking to websites distributing malicious code. I'm just not sure how discriminating Google chooses to be beyond their competition.

https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/safebrowsing/diagnostic/index.html#url=www.99wallpaper.com

Sheesh, life was easier and made more sense before computers and the internet.:eek:

It just bothers me that if you go searching for the issue, the only thread that comes up about this from users is yours from this domain and no others. What gives? Yeah...I have no idea if this is a false-positive or not. :confused:

It would be nice if Google was more specific about it.

Are you running an ad blocker when accessing that domain? If you have it turned off...turn it back on and see what happens.

Yeah, it's strange. Vinca had the same problem, but no one else it seems. I just checked the thread and it allowed me access, so it makes me think that by clicking to allow access it placed a cookie on my machine. I haven't a clue. It's bizarre whatever it is. Maybe Brent will see this thread and look into it.

Are you running an ad blocker or have it turned off? Sounds most likely the warning pertains to a hostile ad link...but I can only really guess at this point. I have read that this filter can pick up hostile links relative to ads though. Probably more likely than the wallpaper files themselves or that the site has been compromised. But there's no point in risking accessing that domain until the warning is gone.

Using the same diagnostic page for this domain shows all is well.

Whatever the offending code is, involves the other domain. :)

Last edited:
But have either of you attempted to access this domain directly? Not from within this domain.

Just trying to isolate what might be the source of the issue.

Erm... I'm not sure what the word 'domain' means or what accessing a domain directly means. :confused:

I was using the Google browser when the 'Deceptive site ahead' warning appeared. I'm not sure what my setting are for ad blockers or Google browser.

When I try visiting the thread now, the 'Deceptive site ahead' warning isn't there anymore.

Erm... I'm not sure what the word 'domain' means or what accessing a domain directly means. :confused:

I was using the Google browser when the 'Deceptive site ahead' warning appeared. I'm not sure what my setting are for ad blockers or Google browser.

When I try visiting the thread now, the 'Deceptive site ahead' warning isn't there anymore.

A domain (name) is a website address. A component of a universal resource locator. Such as aspiescentral.com.

If it has stopped showing, that can reflect only one of two things. Either the offending link was deleted by the host, or that this was in fact a false-positive that Google has since fixed themselves.

If there ever really was an offending link to malware I'd think other sources and search engines would have eventually provided the same warning...which always made me suspicious that it was just a false positive. It happens....and yes- can be frustrating for users.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom