• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best grammar books for adults

Shiznown

I am teaching myself English from the ground up, since I was never taught properly in school. Can anyone recommend me some good books? I'd like books that provide a good amount of example sentences.

I am teaching myself English from the ground up, since I was never taught properly in school. Can anyone recommend me some good books? I'd like books that provide a good amount of example sentences.

How has that been working out for you?
I see no recommendations here.

I liked Strunk & White's Elements of Style, myself.
It is more about...style than grammar, though.

Did you continue to study English on your own?

Grammar Land by M. L. Nesbitt was recommended to me. It is available as a pdf to download for free. There is also a youtube video of it being read aloud.

How has that been working out for you?
I see no recommendations here.

I liked Strunk & White's Elements of Style, myself.
It is more about...style than grammar, though.

Did you continue to study English on your own?
Well I am in an English class and could still use some help on grammar. College doesn't teach you English, they just have you write essays. Thank you both. I honestly forgot about this thread.

Grammar-land by ML Nesbitt mentioned above is excellent for an understanding of the parts of speech and their roles. It's presented as a courtroom story with each presenting their case. Definitely aimed at kids, but still a fun presentation. It has an exercise at the end of each chapter to help reinforce the point in that chapter.

We're in the process of moving. I'll try and remember to dig out some other recommendations once I find my text books (can't remember the exact details).

New Threads

Top Bottom