• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being inflexible

Money issues? Might be true but....most piano teachers just want their students to become concert pianists. Then they teach by forcing the students to play etudes or crazy czerny without any understanding at all.
Repeat Czerny exercices a lot and you will become a concert pianist.
I guess just repeat something is not workng for me. The worst is the singing teachers who just ask me to sing while they play the piano. My current teacher says I need ear training so she makes me sing first with piano and then without. She says it's not an aspie issue at all. The aspie issue is communicating what you need and understanding what you need.
My teacher also uses acting techniques. Singing is all about taking you speaking voice into singing.
What do you think is the aspie issues? Don't we just say that everything an aspies struggle with is an aspie issue?
The question is always: wjat is asperger's syndrome?
I say this: having issues that you must work with in a very concrete way. Aspies ussually have difficulties with working memory so don't woek with too many things at once.

You have a point. Frankly, I know little about teaching instruments myself. I teach languages to kids that long before coming to me learn to hate the subject, not to hobbyists and potential musicians.

Although, in my experience, many things need to be learnt simply through repetition. This is how I learnt guitar and drawing. What else can you do but repeat and try to do it better each time? I can't really imagine a different way of learning these things but through regular exercises of similar pieces. But then, maybe that's exactly what you speak of when you mention autism. A very specific way of doing things.

Never heard of a different one. What other ways are there? What else could be done?

What else can you do but repeat and try to do it better each time?
I agree with that!
Most people tell me that if I find something difficult I need to do more repetition instead of trying to understand what is difficult. This is the issue. Sure we must repeat something but we sometimes need something more as well.
There is no "aspie way of learning" other than most aspies need to focus more on the fundamentals and how different skills relate to eachother.

Last edited:
I agree with that!
Most people tell me that if I find something difficult I need to do more repetition instead of trying to understand what is difficult. This is the issue. Sure we must repeat something but we sometimes need something more as well.
There is no "aspie way of learning" other than most aspies need to focus more on the fundamentals and how different skills relate to eachother.

Ah, relations between different skills in different fields. I always had problems with that which was why it is difficult for me to create a project based on multiple fields, such as mathematics, physics and biology. It's overwhelming. It's challenging. That's why I like it which probably sounds illogical.

But yes, I always had to take more time than others to understand simple things, the fundamentals and how they related to each other. As a student I could for example solve complicated exercises in one unit, but found it especially challenging to use the same methods in a different unit while connecting it with something else. My brain would just label a skill as useable in that specific set of instances and later I would have trouble understanding that it can be used outside of it as well. It wasn't as obvious to me as it was to others. I had to be taught that things can relate to each other and are very rarely lonely islands they seem to be due to the way they are taught at school.

New Threads

Top Bottom