• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being brave and posting...

Roxy

OK, here goes... my first proper post :shocked:

I'm still getting used to my diagnosis (AS). It was only 2 weeks ago although I was told I was on the autistic spectrum a couple of months ago. Seeing it in black and white was amazing, like I'd finally found my place in the world. It explained so much. I'm 47 but have struggled all my life... now I know why.

So... I'm getting used to a new way of living. Now I don't have to be hard on myself for the things I struggle with because I know why. Maybe I can learn to work through those things (with help).

Hopefully life won't be so hard from here on.

I am 57 and was diagnosed officially with Aspergers 3 years ago. It has made a big difference in my life. I am learning how to be me.
Its a whole differenct world now that i understand Aspergers.

Hai and welcome.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat - I received my official dx in late July, although my psychologist had been battling to get my ASD recognised since 2009. My current psychiatrist had been adamant for around a year that I didn't have ASD at all, but then suddenly decided that he would change his mind. That was quite the backflip.

Since then, I've been coming to terms with that that formal badge of recognition means and how it impacts on my view of myself. Sometimes I wonder if my autism is showing, sometimes I wonder if I am autistic, sometimes I wonder if I'm acting more autistic than how I acted before. It can be quite a change and ultimately I think understanding ourselves is going an interesting journey, to say the least.

Thats great you have been diagnosed now. Better late then never. Im 43 and still waiting for an official diagnosis of aspergers,thats if funding is available so says my psychiatrist. Like you i have struggled with so many things other people take for granted. I just hope i dont have to wait anymore years!

Thanks everyone

Since then, I've been coming to terms with that that formal badge of recognition means and how it impacts on my view of myself. Sometimes I wonder if my autism is showing, sometimes I wonder if I am autistic, sometimes I wonder if I'm acting more autistic than how I acted before. It can be quite a change and ultimately I think understanding ourselves is going an interesting journey, to say the least.
Occasional Demon - that's exactly how I feel. I think a lot about whether or not people can see it, whether or not the other kids could see it when I was a child (I was bullied throughout my school life). I guess it doesn't really matter, I just need to accept who I am.

I've been with the mental health team for 8 years but it's only recently I started talking to the psychologist about the things I find hard. If only I'd started telling them 8 years ago :rolleyes2: But I'd spent 47 years hiding it all, it was hard facing up to it.

New Threads

Top Bottom