• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistics literally view the world differently

For the record, I do this. Particularly with faces, I find myself focusing on someone's nose rather than eyes or mouth.

Noses don't tend to be very expressive :p

I have this trait but I don't know why the whole prerequisite for non verbal communication necessarily always has to do with the eyes. I mean people are hung up on the whole thing of autistic eyes. I do have an issue with eyes in that they r very intense, bit body language is more than eyes. Tone of voice. How I hold my arms. Smiling and knowing when to smile. Not having any idea what another persons movements mean, holding my mouth in the correct position, an ability to not drop everything, walking normally, the truth of clumsiness, staring at people and knowing when to quit staring, laughing appropriately, accidental yawning etc etc. They are all body language, all befuddled, but people are obsessed with the eyes and the eyes. I have a hard time with eyes. But even a harder time with laughing or smiling at the wrong times. Or with severe clumsiness--if clumsy is a type of body language. This thing about eyes is real I know. Bit for me it's more pervasive and hs to do with how I navigate the physical world between myself and others. Eye contact is part, but not the only part, of the ritual anxieties that go with becoming more known

New Threads

Top Bottom