• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Speaks

Autism Speaks 1

Things I don't trust about Autism $peaks (and I'm not even in the US):

They endorse a clinic that recommends electric shock therapy

They say we're an epidemic

They say we've been 'kidnapped' by autism

They've let people decide bleach enemas for autistic kids are reasonable

They don't listen to autistic people - the founders of A$ were disowned by their autistic daughter

I am not so familiar with Autism Speaks as others here, but need I comment on the profound irony and hypocrisy of their name? How could they choose such a name and then presume to speak for autistic people, rather than including their voices? What have read on their website came across as incredibly condescending, casting the autistic as suffering saints in need of protection from their neurotically saviors.

Gross.

I maintain (as does Asperger's Network - run and owned by myself who does have AS) that Autism Speaks has... well... no idea.

And that is why I came up with this gem for April Fools

Honestly, Autism Speaks reeks of charity fraud. I've spent the last couple of hours reading up on them and it became pretty obvious that they don't care about Autism, except as a money source. Why insist on researching vaccines after so many studies have proven them innocent without a doubt? They only changed their stance last year. This says a lot about their research focus and the effectiveness and quality of that research. Why such an emphasis on fundraising, rather than their programs (which appear to have shockingly low funding for an organization with such a large revenue)? Despite constantly stating that families with Autistic children need support (the founders wife even mentioned how expensive it can be to care for a low-functioning Autistic), they provide little to no assistance. Not financially or resources. Why does the administration have such high salaries compared to other charities of their size? To top it off, according to Charity Navigator, they don't have a 'Records Retention and Destruction Policy.'

I don't think Autism Speaks is into eugenics, or that they want to destroy anyone, or anything close to like that. I honestly think they're a sham that's out to exploit a group extremely easy to exploit.

Just my 2 cents.

New Threads

Top Bottom