• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autism is an ability not a disability...it is a superpower": Children blog about living with autism

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Nikita, Lorie and Mirie Shanks have written blogs for ITV News Central about what life is like living with autism. These are their views which they are sharing with us.

Nikita's story
stream_img.jpg

Being Autistic doesn’t bother me but I don’t like to tell people as soon as I meet them in case they judge me on it, I prefer to wait until I know them a little better so they know me as ‘me’.

I don’t really focus on the fact that I’m autistic, although there are times when I do something and wonder if it’s because of my autism, especially if it’s something I don’t see other people doing.

I don’t remember being told that I was autistic, I just grew up knowing I was and talking about it to my mum. It really helped me to know because I could ask questions and understand myself better and work things out.

I still find communication hard but I’ve learnt strategies that help me and I’m not afraid to ask now as I’ve become more confident. Sometimes people will use sayings that I haven’t heard before which I find really confusing, but people don’t mind explaining what they mean.

My one wish would be for people to understand that autism isn’t the huge disability for most of us that people think it is and give us more opportunities to show our unique talents. Attitudes really do need to change!

Lorie's story
stream_img.jpg

When you hear the word autism, think honestly, what springs to mind? A boy? A troubled child with a tendency to cause a scene when in public at the worst possible moments?

Someone who struggles socially and finds it difficult to make friends. Has difficulty with a certain smell, texture or taste? If that’s what you think when you hear the word… You aren’t the only one.

But did you notice those points are all negative or stereotypical? Why has this perception of Autism become so negative? Something I truly live by in life is you have a choice. The way you think is a choice. You can think something positive is negative and vice versa.

When I was told I had Asperger’s Syndrome I was 5 years old. I remember the moment clearly. My mother sat me down on the sofa and explained what autism was and what it meant.

My mum made the whole experience so positive that I was incredibly proud to be autistic. If it weren’t for my mother explaining to me at such a young age something that made me who I am with such passion and happiness I don’t think I’d be who I am today.

Autism is an ability not a disability. I am proof that autism if nurtured and understood positively, is a superpower.

Mirie's story
stream_img.jpg

When I get asked to explain "What is Autism?", I never have any clue how to answer. Autism affects everyone in completely different ways, making anyone with autism completely unique.

I know in my head what I struggle with, but find it extremely difficult to put into words. Hence why I'm currently struggling to explain what I personally find difficult.

I think I also can't differentiate what are autistic traits or just normal everyday struggles for every human being.

Something I can tell you, is how I usually feel in social or new situations. I'm good at showing that I am completely calm and understand what's being said me, but deep down inside, I'm screaming.

I wish I could give a more defined answer as to what autism is and how to deal with it. But to be honest, I really struggle to put that into any sort of description.

But if anyone ever needs any help, I'm here with an open hand and ears to listen.

Source (with video): "Autism is an ability not a disability...it is a superpower": Children blog about living with autism

Would anybody know of any groups and/or organizations (on-line or other) that go by the philosophy above?

Autism can be a pain, you can see this on this forum posts, by higher risks of something bad happening, lonliness, people without jobs and friends family etc, i guess some people get a better 'autistic trait lottery' than others. idk.

It’s both? It’s different things to different people?

There’s certainly plenty that struggle (some of that struggle is behind closed doors - not seen by friends and colleagues etc)

Life would be easier if we had the right support, from work, from society, from the government.

Even if every autistic person had the right support, would they all have a super power, I’m not sure. I’d like to think so, but not sure it’s true.

If I go around saying autism is a superpower, does that diminish the struggles a lot of autistic people have?

I get the need to start talking positively about autism and wider neurodiversity especially when it comes to workplaces, just think it needs to be a balanced conversation and remember to think about people’s needs.

Autism is a neurotype not a superpower. Tell an autistic how super it is when they are in the middle of a meltdown due to a sensory overload. Being in so much physical pain all you can do is lay there and cry, wishing you could just disappear into the earth.

80% of autistics in the US are either underemployed or unemployed. The suicide rate is 3 times higher than our neurotypical peers. 66% of autistics have a comorbidity with depression. 40 - 60% have ADHD.

Just because we can do some really cool things because of our neurotype does not negate the struggle autism presents. Everyday tasks, communication, social gaffes, etc.

It is an operating system we are born with, neither good nor bad, but glorifying it as a 'superpower' infantalizes the condition and minimizes the struggles many face on a daily basis. It is like calling someone differently-abled. These are cutesy pop culture terms created to make disabilities more palatable to the public.

All cases presented are also ASD 1 and the ASD spectrum goes up to ASD 3.

As female ASD 1 with gifted level intelligence I have a much easier time passing as NT or charming people with novelty skills like massive memory, witty movie quotes, or a well timed pun. It is all part of a mask no one sees behind.

Things like this bother me because while there is an archetype within the autistic spectrum for the traits like this; it becomes a sterotype type in society. And if an autistic doesn't fit into that box or cannot mask well enough to stay mostly within the lines the fall out can be huge. Ever had a meltdown in a public place? Try it. Then explain why it is a 'superpower' to the autistic community.

10 - 33% of the autistic community deal with a measurable intellectual disability. Even on this forum, we see much more ASD 1 and/or Asperger's subset of the spectrum than any other section of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Life would be easier if we had the right support, from work, from society, from the government.

This is definitely true. Society isn't very accepting of our differences.

How can we talk about our differences without pathologizing them?

New Threads

Top Bottom