• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism - digestion relationship

mw2530

Hey All,
I've been reading a lot about about the relationship between digestive problems and sensitivity and autism. More specifically how eating foods with gluton, sugar, and msg can cause all sorts of problems for those who have sensitive digestive systems. Dairy products often cause problems as well.
The more I thought about it, the more this made sense based on my experiences in my life. I have high-functioning autism (self-diagnosed) and have always been very skinny my whole life. The funny thing is that no matter how much I ate, I would never put much extra weight on. I always had a larger appetite than most of my peers, yet I was way skinnier than them. It seems to make sense that I may not be getting the nutrients I need because my intestines cannot digest the food well enough. Therefore, my brain and body are actually STARVING. I've also had other digestive system problems - I have had daily problems with food getting stuck in my esophogus and having to literally stop eating until my body remembers how to work properly again and send the food to my stomach. Sometimes it does not work and I have to spit up a little bit. Talk about gross. Just another thing to worry about when having a meal with others. I can barely get through the conversations at the meal and then in the back of my mind I'm hoping my esophogus does not act up.
Have any of you tried any gluton free, sugar free, msg free, and/or dairy free diet? I have read stories of it helping with young children, but I was wondering if it may work for adults or if it is too late. Many of the children were not cured completely from autism, but many experienced great improvements. I imagine the diet will be difficult to implemant since so many of our foods have the above ingredients, but if there are benefits, it is more than worth it.

Last edited:
Hey All,
I've been reading a lot about about the relationship between digestive problems and sensitivity and autism. More specifically how eating foods with gluton, sugar, and msg can cause all sorts of problems for those who have sensitive digestive systems. Dairy products often cause problems as well.
The more I thought about it, the more this made sense based on my experiences in my life. I have high-functioning autism (self-diagnosed) and have always been very skinny my whole life. The funny thing is that no matter how much I ate, I would never put much extra weight on. I always had a larger appetite than most of my peers, yet I was way skinnier than them. It seems to make sense that I may not be getting the nutriets I need because my intestines cannot digest the food well enough. Therefore, my brain and body are actually STARVING. I've also had other digestive system problems - I have had daily problems with food getting stuck in my esophogus and having to literally stop eating until my body remembers how to work properly again and send the food to my stomach. Sometimes it does not work and I have to spit up a little bit. Talk about gross. Just another thing to worry about when having a meal with others. I can barely get through the conversations at the meal and then in the back of my mind I'm hoping my esophogus does not act up.
Have any of you tried any gluton free, sugar free, msg free, and/or dairy free diet? I have read stories of it helping with young children, but I was wondering if it may work for adults or if it is too late. Many of the children were not cured completely from autism, but many experienced great improvements. I imagine the diet will be difficult to implemant since so many of our foods have the above ingredients, but if there are benefits, it is more than worth it.
I'm surprised I have not gotten any replies on this yet. I guess maybe it is because I never really asked what others thought. Have any of you tried a specific diet to try to alleviate symptoms of autism? Has it worked?

The only diet I would recommend is a diet consisting of balance and a lot of variety, such as is recommended by actual Nutrition Experts.
There is not real evidence that people with autism/aspergers need an unusual diet like a gluten free one.
I always feel healthiest and overall best when my diet is varied, and corresponds closely to the opinions that are most common among actual Nutritionists.

As far as the children mentioned, probably other types of intervention were being attempted as well, and there is no way to know what improvements came from diet, and what from intervention. In fact the improvements could have just been the result of the children getting older. All children change drastically as they get older.

I'm vegan, so completely animal product free. I was vegan years before I found out I had Aspergers. Lately my stomach has been having a lot of problems again (it seems to come and go with large amounts of stress). Gluten could very well be a part of the problem too. When I was in middle school I went gluten free. I don't recall having in stomach trouble in that time and I loved it! I'm one of the weird people that love the way most gluten free things taste. Ha

From most of the stomach problems I've researched stress is a huge part of it. So you may want to try and cut as much stress and toxic relationships out of your life as you can. Try yoga. Meditation. It all helps.

And thanks for bring up the topic. I'm seriously considering cutting out gluten again. :) Hope you get to feeling better.

You are on the right track my friend. Along with eliminating the problem foods, you must also include the good ones. Vegetables are a staple, and fruits in moderation can be helpful. We are all different and have different needs. I live the diet you describe. I eat meats, nuts and beans everyday to get the nutrients I need, and to perform the digestive needs of my body.
Chemicals like perfumes and stimulants like caffeine also have an effect on us.

Stomach aches, wicked bad stomach aches. Up until my mid twenties, so bad I blacked out a couple times. No one could ever figure what was wrong. I remember pacing around the house for hours cause it was the only way to help the pain.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of you input. I agree, that simply having a well balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables is key along with minimizing the processed foods. Also, getting plenty enough fat is important as around 30% of our calories should come from fat. Despite what the media tells us all the time, a moderate amount of fat is good!

I've found that when I eat a low-gluten diet, my menstrual cramps are far less painful, I feel less bloated, and I have less problems with my blood sugar (I have reactive hypoglycemia). Removing processed sugar from my diet helped with insomnia.

We found Sue Dengate's 'Fed up' useful. But if you want to test the effects of different foods, you really need to do an elimination diet. Lots of books on this topic now.

I've never though of gastro-intestinal issues as part of being an aspie, maybe it's because the issues I had were way before I was diagnosed.

In my youth I had reflux that would lay me out screaming in pain. Doctors weren't much use and despite several investigations nothing was resolved. When I was 25 I dated a girl who was vegan, she looked at my diet and asked me to make changes. Since then I am predominately a protein/veg man, I avoid things like MSG or processed foods. I also avoid dairy, soda, aspartame, fluoride, and add a few supplements that I know I'm missing because of my life style. Not really had a problem since.

I have IBS so I know about digestive issues. I have had the whole heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, const...., diarr.....etc.etc. Not cool but I have heard there was a link too to AS.

I have IBS so I know about digestive issues. I have had the whole heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, const...., diarr.....etc.etc. Not cool but I have heard there was a link too to AS.

I heard a theory that some of the stims autistic children do could be related to digestion issues. I know some of mine were. Also these issues are more likely to be related to anxiety rather than autism itself.

New Threads

Top Bottom