• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Atypical

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
What does everyone make of this?
I feel really sorry for Sam?
He has got it bad.
I thought I had struggles socially :(
Dunno if it reflects autism, as each person on the spectrum is different.
It doesn't reflect me, I was odd but in a different way.

I liked the first two seasons but I was disappointed in the third. I liked the fact that especially in the second season there were actors with autism that comprised Sam's autism support group.

I don't have high hopes for the fourth season but I hope I'm wrong.

I find Sam to be a amalgam of too many extreme traits. I had heard about the season 1 bedroom scene where he pushes the woman off the bed when she touches him. An obvious misinterpretation of sensory issues. There were also other scenes just as mistaken in season 1.

I find Matilda from Everything's going to be OK to be a realist autistic character. Great that she's an autistic actress. Unfortunately, I didn't like anything else about this series.

I hope the next series can do better. Kayla Cromer showed that casting an autistic for the role is a good idea.

There was also a scene in Atypical that seemed counter to what I believe most autistics would do and it bugged me: Sam's mom Elsa was staying with a friend and the friend's son (Christopher) who was also autistic, had his electric train set in the room and was frustrated that he couldn't use his train set. Sam and Christopher seemed to be ambivalent about each other at best. Sam went to see his mom and turned on the train set. While the train was moving around the track, Sam purposely knocked the train off the track and smiled impishly or even sadistically as if he enjoyed doing something mean. I don't think that was believable and it was even misrepresentative in my opinion.

I find Sam to be a amalgam of too many extreme traits. I had heard about the season 1 bedroom scene where he pushes the woman off the bed when she touches him. An obvious misinterpretation of sensory issues. There were also other scenes just as mistaken in season 1.

I find Matilda from Everything's going to be OK to be a realist autistic character. Great that she's an autistic actress. Unfortunately, I didn't like anything else about this series.

I hope the next series can do better. Kayla Cromer showed that casting an autistic for the role is a good idea.
I like the way you described Sam.

New Threads

Top Bottom