• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Atypical allergies

Dadamen

So, as the title said, I have allergies which is a quite common problem, but mine are highly atypical and doctors don't know what to do with me.
So, it started 4 years ago as what I thought to be getting cold often. But, then the symptoms became constant and after seeing multiple doctors a Pulmo-allergologist made allergic testing and found moderate to severe dust mites and mild grass allergies. She gave me standard treatment - nasal corticosteroid and antihistamine. But, even with all possible treatments tried I still have allergy symptoms. What makes it more interesting, it gets worse when I am outside and is worse on the country than in the city, despite tests showing that dustmite allergy is far stronger than pollen one. One more strange thing is that it is the worst in September and October when no grass pollen is longer present, just ragweed pollen that is negative. I'm thinking about allergy shots.
Anyone else with that problem?

My mom was allergic to grass. I was allergic to grass, and dust also. We also had a dog that shed a lot. My allergies got worse before l outgrew them at age 45. It took forever. I had a horrible case of sinusitis that popped up after living in Hawaii. So you may eventually outgrow this. I went for the sensitivity. test. I started going in for the weekly allergy shots and dropped out without telling my parents. They were upset, when the clinic sent a letter saying l hadn't been there for a year during high school. Oh boy.

My mom was allergic to grass. I was allergic to grass, and dust also. We also had a dog that shed a lot. My allergies got worse before l outgrew them at age 45. It took forever. I had a horrible case of sinusitis that popped up after living in Hawaii. So you may eventually outgrow this. I went for the sensitivity. test. I started going in for the weekly allergy shots and dropped out without telling my parents. They were upset, when the clinic sent a letter saying l hadn't been there for a year during high school. Oh boy.
I think that today there is an alternative to shots, by taking the allergen as drops under the tongue.

The immune responses of an autistic individual can be altered.

1. There are several research articles on the topic of "autism and cytokines". Most of the cytokines in our bodies are what we call "pro-inflammatory mediators" or "mediators of inflammation". Several lines of evidence suggest that autistics can have elevated levels of these cytokines. The effect is that we may be more susceptible to a more pronounced and prolonged reaction to allergens and tissue injury. Personally, I do not have significant issues with allergies, but I did have a several month "long CoVID" experience. If I work out hard in the gym, my body will remain sore for a week or more. I have had a few minor surgeries that resulted in a significant amount of tissue swelling. I have hormone pellets inserted into my hip every 3 months, and I have to have corticosteroids injected at that time to reduce the significant amount of swelling I would have if I didn't get this injection. In summary, the immune response of the autistic does not suggest that we get sick more often, or have any more allergies than anyone else, but what it does suggest is that if/when we do have these health issues or injuries, the body tends to "hyper respond" to the trigger. This is not often known by health care providers.

2. There are several research articles on the topic of "autism and oxidative stress". Another key terminology is "oxygen radicals". The autistic brain is often under oxidative stress, but oxidative stress also influences the immune responses to allergens and bacteria. The macrophages, your white cells, actually uses "chlorine bleach" to kill bacteria. It engulfs the bacteria, releases the "bleach" from organelles in the cell, it then kills the bacteria, and the macrophage. The resultant "chemical spill" needs to be chemically "inactivated" by chemicals with anti-oxidant capabilities. If a person is under oxidative stress, that implies that there are low levels of antioxidants in the body. There is an imbalance.

In summary, the autistic individual may have a more pronounced and prolonged "event" or may be more "chronically" effected. So, in the model of someone with an underlying allergy issue, elevated cytokine levels and oxidative stress will exacerbate the issue.

Inhaled steroids, leukotriene blockers, cytokine blockers, etc. should be part of the management regimen for those with an asthma condition.

Last edited:
The immune responses of an autistic individual can be altered.

1. There are several research articles on the topic of "autism and cytokines". Most of the cytokines in our bodies are what we call "pro-inflammatory mediators" or "mediators of inflammation". Several lines of evidence suggest that autistics can have elevated levels of these cytokines. The effect is that we may be more susceptible to a more pronounced and prolonged reaction to allergens and tissue injury. Personally, I do not have significant issues with allergies, but I did have a several month "long CoVID" experience. If I work out hard in the gym, my body will remain sore for a week or more. I have had a few minor surgeries that resulted in a significant amount of tissue swelling. I have hormone pellets inserted into my hip every 3 months, and I have to have corticosteroids injected at that time to reduce the significant amount of swelling I would have if I didn't get this injection. In summary, the immune response of the autistic does not suggest that we get sick more often, or have any more allergies than anyone else, but what it does suggest is that if/when we do have these health issues or injuries, the body tends to "hyper respond" to the trigger. This is not often known by health care providers.

2. There are several research articles on the topic of "autism and oxidative stress". Another key terminology is "oxygen radicals". The autistic brain is often under oxidative stress, but oxidative stress also influences the immune responses to allergens and bacteria. The macrophages, your white cells, actually uses "chlorine bleach" to kill bacteria. It engulfs the bacteria, releases the "bleach" from organelles in the cell, it then kills the bacteria, and the macrophage. The resultant "chemical spill" needs to be chemically "inactivated" by chemicals with anti-oxidant capabilities. If a person is under oxidative stress, that implies that there are low levels of antioxidants in the body. There is an imbalance.

In summary, the autistic individual may have a more pronounced and prolonged "event" or may be more "chronically" effected. So, in the model of someone with an underlying allergy issue, elevated cytokine levels and oxidative stress will exacerbate the issue.

Inhaled steroids, interleukin blockers, cytokine blockers, etc. should be part of the management regimen for those with an asthma condition.
I'm taking singulair, I think it is an interleukine blocker. This is the only drug that has made it better for some time.

New Threads

Top Bottom