• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aspies on the workplace. any special problem?

alien girl

i was bullied a lot and had a problem multi tasking, also problems with social phobias and great shyness whenever approaching customers. what happened to you?

alien girl,

I never had bullying issues, but with regard to multi-tasking, I can definitely relate. I remember once at Walgreen's....I was stocking a shelf and a customer came up and asked me for help, but I was so focused on what I was doing that I snapped at the customer. And, I got reprimanded for it--and told that if it happened again, I would be terminated. So a few weeks later, I was at the front counter running the cash register, and was in a bad mood because of some personal issues I was going through, so I barely said a word to all the customers that came up to the cash register while I was there--I figured the safest thing, since I was already in a bad mood, was to just keep my big mouth shut. Sure enough, though, a couple of days later, I got called on the carpet by the store manager, and told that I was being terminated, effective immediately.

Only 2 of the 15 jobs I have had accepted my aspie qualities and were enjoyable the rest were a nightmare.

I have only technically had one paying job my whole life I work at a grocery store. Its not always nice but its union so it takes a lot to get fired or anything but I've had trouble in internships that I have had for social work which is what i have my degree in. I find that interviewing is the hardest. Once people actually get to know me then its much easier for them to understand me. I tend to be overly nice to people and my feelings get hurt easily because I want everyone to be happy so I end up in meltdowns because a customer was mean to me...or I don't understand something and can't get out of my scipt enough to help them. I find that it seems more frustrating for the parents...my mom gets really frustrated with the fact that I am sooo intelligent but can't seem to nail an interview to get into my field.

a nightmare? want to tell what happened? why was it a nightmare?
Well simply because they always expected me to be an NT. I have never been able to multi-task and my fastest work pace is
the average low end of my peers barely meeting the minimum standard of most companies.:unhappy: So I was in a never ending state
of stress and anxiety.:bruised: The 2 jobs I did enjoy were slow paced and enjoyed my skills more than social ability:happy:

I did certain things too slow and other things too fast (I was a commission paid auto mechanic) I felt rushed most of the time and it resulted in poor work. If I do something enough it almost becomes muscle memory for me so some things I excelled in and others not so much. The problem I had was my inability to tolerate un-fairness, it often infuriates me. Another problem is I would find myself "playing people" like a chess game...it blew up in my face mostly lol can't make everyone happy...something I have trouble accepting.

New Threads

Top Bottom