• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and Art

I don't know if this is helpful as you didn't include guitar, but this is a tool to help people play the guitar. It might make a difference for someone with dexterity or hand injury issues. It may not be applicable or useful for you at all but I wanted to bring it to your attention just in case. :) ChordBuddy Guitar Learning System

Thanks... guitar is my instrument, but I can't do any fine movements with my hands at the moment without their going numb. I'm looking into surgery though, so maybe someday. :)

When I draw they are mostly comic book or anime style,been doing it since I was a kid and trying to get myself back into it at the moment.

I love art and music. I sketched and wrote stories almost constantly when I was a child, and loved to play on my dad's keyboard.

I would like to do more of it now. I just get kinda obsessive about my programming job, but I should stop that... they only pay me for 40 hours anyway. People have always thought I was artistically talented.

When I draw or paint, I focus on intersecting sterile, man-made concepts (like spheres, lattices, perfect geometric patterns) with "imperfect" nature. One of my favorite sketches of mine is a woman with each side of her face with perfect proportions and perfectly geometric makeup, but each side of her face is different, and she looks sad... probably because she is skewed, I guess.

I also like to write sci-fi stories. I have a habit of taking things that people say or do and in my head following these things to their logical conclusion. Often this is a nasty thing... people don't like it when you launch into the historical reasons and societal implications of something they said offhandedly. Sci-fi gives me an outlet. I can take cell phone addiction, lack of privacy, arbitrary cultural attitudes that for some reason exist, things like that that people don't usually want to give a second thought to, magnify them, and then explore the future that inevitably results. Suddenly, I've created something that's kind of interesting and beautiful to people, and my relentlessly logical and obsessive nature looks more like a talent than an inconvenience or disability.

Anyway, art is cool.

I'm a carpenter, I also do flooring, tile work , custom closets, trim work , furniture...the list is long. My work is often art brought to life. Here is a sample of wall tile that is 5 inches wide and 20 inches long, I worked around this size to create what looks like an end of a crate for the space under a desk. I work for myself.. I work with my own designs. I have talents that can not be explained...I choose what I want to do and who I want to do it for and how much.

Attachments

• 11012703_985141264853721_1483157823053552224_n.jpg
    11012703_985141264853721_1483157823053552224_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
It's rather strange because I was very creative as a child, loved arts and craft class, but kinda forgot about for 20 years when I got busy creating a career instead and making money. When I chose my education I went to science as the place for better jobs and wages. I did well on the outside but was always sick so I obviously was not thriving.

When I finally created a stress meltdown of a size to make me step away from the cooperate world, my creativity came rushing back. I have been writing, painting, sewing, drawing, jewelry making and now photographing. It seems my art might be connected in a more optimal way to the way my brain is wired (the autism spectrum). When at my best I go into the zone in a way I never did when using the logical parts of my brain.

I am still in survival mode, though, from a long hard winter, taking care of my daughter and hardly bring myself to take images, edit or submit, all things I usually love. It will come back to me. The only project I'm working on right now is illustrating/following my life with my daughter since October, working title "Caving In". Here is one of the images, "The world is outside my window"

DSC_4061.jpg

Seeing as I have been told, concerning my lifelong habit of stimming by drawing and painting, everything from "it's time for you to drop that silly worthless hobby and get a real job," to, "You could go to New York right now and start earning a lot by selling your work," I have simply given up on the thinking of myself as an artist and am trying to open the heart of it and let it out. Either for free, or for sale. It is the process that matters now. The person who told me to go to sell my work in New York was Wayne Theibaud, a successful and altogether amazing artist. It made me feel and think of myself in a positive way, so I very much appreciate the value of his advice. I never used his letter of introduction, it is still sitting in my file cabinet.

I write poetry to my wife, and she loves it. I also write new lyrics to existing music for church sometimes. I encourage a full spectrum of artistic expression in church where I am pastor, although few take up the offer.

Music has shaped my identity more than anything, and I connect very deeply with it. Songs get stuck in my head all of the time, for both better and worse! I am very much who I am due to the music I have encountered in life.

I prefer to create art rather than simply enjoy it when it comes to writing, although I love to read nonfiction. If I could play guitar then I would probably have no other hobby than writing songs. Alas, I am too clumsy to play guitar! I was really good with the recorder in 4th grade, but I never got into music and now at 28 I don't have the time or money to invest in learning to play music. But secretly I would love to learn to play something!!

So sweet! I had a boyfriend who wrote poetry to me. They were wicked clever!

Too bad few have taken up your offer, but that's understandable.

Ja, I connect to music, too. 80's child, with the likes of Simple Minds and Depeche Mode. Now I play a lot of modern classical, goth, trance, acid jazz, rock, electronic and yep, still Simple Minds; anything that creates vast soundscapes with many layers of instrumentation.

Had to learn the guitar, and hated it. Learnt Irish Dancing too, which was way better, and did wonders for my balance, but I wasn't much good at that, either.

I like the old masters, military scenes and portraits in particular. Each has a story, and it's too bad that for most, we don't have them, just the portrait.

I drew all the time and made up stories all the time, but I grew up in a household where fiction was nonsense and of course, once I realised how mediocre I was, I gave up on both for years. I now draw characters in realistic style, many from novels I'd written, some yet to be. I dunno if they would ever get published, but that would be nice.

I wanted to be a cartoonist when I was a kid and use to draw heaps,but sadly I had a dad who like to criticise my pictures and said once if it something that doesn't make money than its worthless,I am getting myself to draw again starting with just doodling on my iPad but I prefer to draw on paper with pens and markers but my psychologist said something recently about me criticising myself she said that is actually me repeating my dads words to myself and realised that my dad made me believe what he use to say to me,now I'm teaching myself that ever time i draw it doesn't need to be perfect and realise im only drawing for my own enjoyment and basically to stop being hard on myself.

I'm teaching myself that ever time i draw it doesn't need to be perfect and realise im only drawing for my own enjoyment and basically to stop being hard on myself.

That's good for you, keep strong. I had a similar experience with my own dad. What I liked and wanted to do were impractical and bound to lead me to a life of poverty, or so he said. So, of course I listened to him, and kept on "listening" for years after he died. I struggled with that for a long time, still do at times. But even though I did go a more practical way, I still managed to develop a career where I use my creativity and ingenuity. Not quite what I really wanted to do, and not that far above poverty, really, but it's alright. I have a lot of flexibility, and am largely self directed.

I like art and photography but I can't draw from imagination or memory I always have to look at what I'm drawing I have. An art account in deviantART naniloke - DeviantArt. And a photography account knightwrainbow - DeviantArt. But I'm not very good at either lol

I also have difficulty drawing from imagination. Most of my imaginative drawings are landscapes, buildings, and they follow a rather predictable pattern. I guess that could be my style. I really enjoyed the drawing classes I took in architecture school (not technical drawing). They taught me how to really look at what I was drawing, but we were looking at inanimate objects, not nude models, which was a relief to me!

A great deal of my childhood free time was spent drawing and as I got older I started painting too, first in watercolors and then in oils. I wrote poetry, short stories and roughed out several ideas for novels. One day, not so long ago, I woke up and it was as if a switch inside my head had been flicked to off. I dawned to the realization that I no longer had interest at all in being creative anymore. I've never drawn, painted or written anything since and I doubt that I ever will. Now, when I look at drawings and paintings that I once produced or read poems that I once wrote it feels as though I'm looking at material produced by someone else. I feel no connection to any of it at all.

Last edited:
I used to spend most of my days doodling and drawing very abstract shapes with no particular meaning when I was young.

Now I am obsessed with whatever has the term "computer science" attached to it. I spend most of my days practice/improve my programming skills, specially with C++. Times change.

Speaking of old days, here is a part of my 2012 demo reel, which was my final project for college (This Youtube account belongs to my college). Later in summer 2012, following my graduation, I made some 3D modeling for a mod maker. He then posted a video of my work (with authorization).

After this, my obsessions everything turned on to computer science related and what not.

lately I've been taking monophonic recordings of Elvis, and using techniques of DCS [Digitally Constructed Stereo] and DES [Digitally Extracted Stereo] to turn them into stereophonic recordings with discrete instrumental placements.

What do you call "art"? What kinds of art interest you?
A lot of things! I'm particularly interested in writing.

Were you artistically expressive as a child in any way(s)?
I wrote and sung as a child and I do so today.

What role do any of these art forms play in your life today?
I write, I sing, and I'm slowly but surely learning how to draw.

How has artistic expression helped to shape your identity?
I was a born humanities major. I've kind of resigned myself to it, even though I'm not in college yet. It's one of those frustrating things, because I have barely even the slightest grasp on things like mathematics.

Do you prefer to create art (write, paint, dance, sing, etc.) or do you prefer to enjoy art produced by others?
Love creating art and consuming it. Both have their virtues.

If you had the ability, what kind(s) of art would you pursue, given plenty of time, resources and energy, even if it is not likely to happen in this lifetime?
I long to write novels one day.

I love drawing with graphite or pen. I can only draw from a photograph. Feel too much pressure with still life. I want it to be as real as can be so my drawings I tend to scrutinise quite often. I can go a year without drawing because I can't draw when exhausted. I love poetry but my poetry can be quite dark and very deep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 202
I can't paint or draw but I like looking at art, my favourite is Impressionist Art. I find it hard to get to grips with abstract art. I love looking at sculpture. I enjoy singing. I sing in a big choir because I like the classical music but find the break in the middle excruciating. Everyone else seems to know how to talk to each other and I feel very lonely. I also sing in my mother's small church choir. These are people who've known me all my life but it is still hard going. I listen to classical music and jazz.

I draw and paint. Growing up I was picked on a lot, and had very few friends. We moved from state to state almost yearly, which made making friends even harder.
I spent five years in Tennessee, the longest we lived in any one place, and I remember the mean kids saying I was a dog, (because I preferred to talk to dogs). One of my two friends said "draw, Cindy, draw", and I would draw dragons eating and breathing fire over little flaming people. It was how I expressed my frustration. One of those nasty kids was introducing a new boy to the class one day on the bus. When he got to me, he said, "That's Cindy. We don't know what's wrong with her, but if you're not nice to her the things she draws will come to life and kill us."

It's still my outlet. I lost my last job when the managers found out I was sketching them being eaten by giant rats.

Now I'm trying for disability, with my long track record of failed attempts at keeping a job; and I'm trying to sell paintings. I just have to get motivated. I've been spending all of my time online, reading about Asperger's.
migraine1.jpg Smile-Dragon.png

My Facebook art page:
https://m.facebook.com/CLLewisArt/

migraine1.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom