• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie-friendly Career Field!!

Naturalist

Some of you have heard me list the merits of my current career (natural history collections management) but I wondered if it was limited to my own institution; well, I have proof now that it isn't!

I just spent a week at a professional conference and found that not only was the nature of the work (cataloging, database, photography, taxonomy) very well suited to Aspies, but the people are very welcoming of neurodiversity in the workplace. One young man presented on his very positive experiences offering special interactive collections tours for kids on the autism spectrum, and said (my summary), "these kids would make awesome collections managers: extremely thoughtful, perceptive and attentive". Another professional from the Smithsonian was very complimentary of an intern he had worked with, who had Asperger's syndrome, and who he regarded as a valuable asset to his team. Everyone made it clear that being awkward in social matters shouldn't be a hindrance either, because "the majority of us are like that"!

If anyone has an interest in museums or the natural world and wants a good career, I would encourage you to seek out, and start volunteering with, a natural history collection in your area. Or try citizen science: Welcome to ZOONIVERSE.COM has opportunities in astronomy, history, and biology (including my favorite, Notes From Nature) which is all volunteer activity which you can add to your resume, because it is relevant experience. Happy to share some of my resources if anyone wants them.

Wish I was American and living in your vicinity. That sounds both awesome and is in the field I did my masters in. :D

I have always thought that what I have always done for a living was well suited to me. I have always been a field service technician working on electric vehicles, batteries and battery chargers. I got to work with one of my special interests and, more importantly, I got to work alone. Any time a Aspie can work alone, that is a good thing.

I think that my skill is most suitable for Aspies.
General lapidary, gem cutting and jewelry. Comfortable, self regulated, unsupervised and rewarding at any level. Requires focus and and some training. I have taught kids of 8 yo and folks with Parkinson's.
I will set the right person up with training, some tools and materials. Have instructed at college extension school level. Give it some thought, this is a sweet career.

Naturalist - I clicked the link, but think that it is not right. (?)

Hmmm, I copied it directly from the site, but I can't see the URL now so if you search "Zooniverse" you should find it, they have a lot of projects for citizen science on a variety of subjects, and also history and archiving.

New Threads

Top Bottom