• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie B/F ignoring me after I suggested he may be on the spectrum

Early in this thread it was suggested to you that your BF might see your behaviour towards him as abandonment, and since this appears to be the case, you really need to think out his reactions as his conditioned response to being abandoned rather more than how that has hurt your feelings.

Thus of course it has more to do with his wounds than anything else - how could it not be?! From my own perspective, being abandoned is just about the worst kind of betrayal possible, because it only happens as a result of someone who matters greatly walking away, and leaving nothing of themselves behind. If that happens once in a lifetime it's capable of causing a trauma, but if it happens many times, it could well condition everything that is subsequently understood about relationships and how they fail rather than flourish. For me, it would mean - has meant - that at all times in all relationships, I have been waiting for failure and abandonment again.

It isn't a healthy way to exist, it isn't a way to build good relationships, and it isn't rational, but is and has been unavoidable.

So, deep breath, and then decide what you want to do. This relationship may have nowhere to go if he won't cooperate with you now at all, or if you think it is too hard or too much work. If either of these, it's time to call it a day and perhaps just confirm to him that you're done.

Otherwise, if you want there to be any hope of rescuing the relationship, if I were in his shoes, you would have to convince me that you didn't walk away, and that you won't ever do that. Primarily, overcoming my fear of abandonment would be the only way to reach me and make me think.

If you are going to do that, whatever else, I'd suggest you don't try it by text. I don't know about him, but if that was me, I despise trying to manage emotive issues in a relationship by text. It's distant, impersonal and frustrating - not least because I find it hard to type, particularly on smartphone keyboards. I'd say you would likely best go back and talk to him, and try and reassure him about the future of the relationship, while doing your best not to react negatively to what he may say, or interject your opinion or how you feel about what he has said or done. It isn't that you don't have a right to an opinion or your feelings, but right now if you want to rescue the relationship, doing exactly that is the priority.

Thank you so much AO1501 for your wise and wonderful words, it is as though you are reading my mind. Intellectually I understand it’s his wounds talking but my heart is hurting & I feel very unloved. This taps into my wounds of having no father & mum never making me a priority or showing love. The other thing he threw into the mix was that we touched on living together several months ago and he said last night that he had decided he didn’t want to do that with me. That really stung! Again he could just be wanting to hurt me the way in his mind I hurt him by going home that night.
I am so disappointed about the holiday & the cruel way he insinuated he hadn’t invited me in the first place that at this point I couldn’t imagine reassuring him about my feelings & security of the relationship. Time will tell but he is emotionally stunted & I need a partner who is willing to communicate & meet me half way when issues arise. I feel he’s punishing me for all the collective abandonment he’s experienced....

Your feelings are understandable, and I wouldn't say that you are wrong in being upset and reacting as you have, and do, but in reality it isn't likely that he's trying to hurt you or punish you - doing either isn't rational. I would suggest that it is his way of protecting himself, and that he simply has no view of how you react to that because he doesn't connect to the relationship in the way that you do - primarily emotional for you, but not for him.

The telling thing to me is that you say you need a partner who is willing to communicate and meet you halfway when issues arise.... sadly, that isn't likely to be an Aspie, and seems even less likely to be this particular one. It isn't that we don't communicate and can't meet our partners half way, but the way our perceptions work is so different from yours that we often will not even see the issues you do, but will see totally different ones that you don't. And out forms of communication often miss your expectations too because they are not always on your radar.

You can only assess your needs - because for you, your needs are the priority - and decide what works and doesn't for you. A relationship with an Aspie is not usually easy, but can sometimes be very rewarding, but if you are looking for those rewards in a different direction than is potentially on offer, this doesn't seem likely to be for you.

Your words make so much sense and it’s precisely for those reasons that I decided to go home that last time. Was starting to feel like I was walking on egg shells around him and his tiredness, crankiness and basically not feeling nurtured. Possible Cassandra syndrome add to that alexythemia! The sweetest man on the planet but maybe it’s all for the best it came to a head....I think you’re spot on about him protecting himself.....

New Threads

Top Bottom