• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's parent

gamecaco4

Hi! My 10 year old son has an official Asperger's diagnosis. We have been through a lot in the past few years in regards to his mental health and feared for his life several times. On top of the AS diagnosis, he also has depression, anxiety disorder, OCD, sensory disorder, social (something something) disorder, ADHD, and ....wait. Maybe that's it.

Anyway, we also have a 7 year old son who seems to be neuro-typical. I'll get into more of our older son's story as I get to know the forums more, but wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. I hope to get to know some of you and not only receive but give support where I can. This is a hard road and we all need some guidance at times.

a lot of those things you listed are often misdiagnoses and the root cause is AS itself. That's how it was in my case at least. I don't know the specifics of your son's situation but just some food for thought

btw hi

a lot of those things you listed are often misdiagnoses and the root cause is AS itself. That's how it was in my case at least. I don't know the specifics of your son's situation but just some food for thought

btw hi

I completely agree. All of the things listed under AS are the dx used for specific psych services he receives. Most people don't know that all of these things all fall under the AS umbrella. No matter if they are diagnosed or not, he still shows the symptoms and signs. We just have to wait for all of those people who don't understand AS from a psych standpoint to catch up.

Hi and welcome gamecaco, it could well be that they were working on the symptoms
and not the cause. I hope you can find the root cause of the problem, then you will
make more progress.

It's good that you understand this. Your son will indeed benefit from knowing that the natural everyone expects of each other is not his natural. I grew up not knowing what I had and by the time I was an adult, there was nothing left of my individuality and I knew no better. Knowing what I know now, it's a horrible feeling that my parents didn't pick up on it.

Hi there and welcome to AC :)

I'm sure you will find people here to talk to, as it's a really great community! :D

Sounds like you are really on the ball with wanting to help your son, which is wonderful to see. Speaking as one of the many adults with Aspergers who missed the whole boat of doctors even knowing Aspergers existed at all, I think it's great that parents can help their kids with this nowadays. I can speak from experience that you will be making a massive difference in his life by doing what you are doing now - getting more information and understanding to help guide him as he grows up.

Hi...my oldest daughter was formally diagnosed last week with ASD Level 1. She was diagnosed with expressive-receptive language disability when she was 5. That seemed to explain most everything up until this year. She's received a lot of help, but not for ASD symptoms. We'll start all that once school is out.

Hello and Welcome!! :)

If you don't mind sharing, what exactly caused you to fear for your son's life?

Hello and Welcome!! :)

If you don't mind sharing, what exactly caused you to fear for your son's life?

He has been hospitalized twice in two years for "suicidal ideations". Not only did he simply say he wanted to die or kill himself, he had ways. He told the doctors and us that he would make it look like an accident - "If I kick the top bunk of my bed hard enough, it will fall on me." Or, he would unlock his bedroom window so it would be easy access for a kidnapper - "Someone could come take me and I'd be annoying so he would kill me." All of the ways he had were so it would look like an accident or by someone elses hand because he didn't want it to be his fault. He didn't want us to be mad at him when he died.

So there ya go. That's the last two years in a nutshell.

New Threads

Top Bottom