• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's or Not--On Gift-Giving Skills...

Gift giving for me is an important part of life because I have problems showing I care otherwise. So when I know that through social rules there is a gift required to a certain event, I will most likely participate. The amount of money I invest in it varies. I'm kind of cheap, but believe a present has to be worth a certain emotional value so I can't really be cheap with presents by my own rules. So having a lot of obligated gift givings does annoy me when it is about people I don't particularly care for (aka donating money for an office present). But for someone I care about I will go above and beyond in coming up with good gifts.

I don't particularly care receiving gifts from others unless they're close to me (again, colleague presents). My SO forgetting our 5 year anniversary (even though I reminded him like 10 times) really pissed me off though. Also indifference on receiving gifts will make me mad. Like I stopped sending gifts for my SO's niece and nephew cause I never hear from their mother whether she even received them. Nor does she ever thank me. And these are gifts I put effort into. Combine that with some other things that I've experienced with her and I just broke off contact with her. Which makes me sad, cause I do enjoy giving gifts and putting effort into them. :(

What do you all think about failing at gift giving on special occasions, but being an excellent life partner and doing little things here and there throughout the year? Which is better? Especially for you girls, what do you appreciate your significant other doing most? Do you get bothered if that person is lazy and doesn't get you anything at all?
I do not care whether somebody gives me gifts. What I do care about, is how somebody treats me every day. In my family, there was a family members that would be just nasty all year round, then when somebody's birthday came around, he would all the sudden pretend to care, pretend to be nice, but it was just for that one day. Yeah, I'd choose consistently kind treatment over gift-giving, without hesitation.

Whether it's a "special occasion" makes no difference.

I'm female. I only mention that because you said you were particularly interested in hearing from females.

New Threads

Top Bottom