• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

I might have already said something about it... dunno... I've never smoked weed, some people who smoked it frequently report they have problems with short memory... I also think it should be legal in all the states... but, I have trouble remembering what happened a day before, sometimes I don't remember what just happened... :) sooo... maybe pot isn't a good idea for me personally :)

I am a 21 year old male who has aspergers. I take a lot of medications and they seem to work and then stop working for me completely in about 3-4 weeks. So I am trying medical marijuana since i live in ca and have been through a lot these past 2 years, and i have to say it really helps. I had two appointments with my counselor this week and she even noticed a difference. She said "the apserger's traits seem to disappear almost completely," which gives me much hope and i have to also say that it is working also as an anti-depressant, i am replacing one of my anti-depressants with this and i feel as though it works better! It just helps me enjoy life substantially better. I am re-taking interest in Golf, that i used to love and play everyday, now i only play once a week but i feel like getting out more now.
I wanted to post this because of how well i feel the medical marijuana is working and helping me deal with my symptoms. And my symptoms have been getting the best of me for the last 2 years. Until now i feel better, like i can participate in life more fully and enjoyably.
I want to hear some responses, what people think and if people are going to try this out!
We as people use many plants to our advantage, this is no different. Pay no attention to the nay sayers. If you don't like it, don't do it. It IS useful for many things. If the smoking scares you, look up how to make a tincture, a liquid form, or bake it in something. You are the best person to know how it affects you.
If your goal is to feel better, and this is the best tool you have found to achieve this, then why not use it? Have a nice day.

My personal experience with the marijuana was that it was an introduction into a subculture of social dyslexics individuals that allowed me be my abnormal self without drawing too much attention to my social dyslexia. So it did work for me. Later I became addicted to it and other drugs, including alcohol, and recovery from my addiction led me to another subculture of social dyslexics in Alcoholics Anonymous, There Iearned some social skills and coping mechanisms from another group of non-nuerotypicals. All and all I wouldn't wish addiction on anyone.mI survived, but so many do not. if marijuanabworks for you, more power to you, but you may be creating an even bigger problem than AS. That is the nature of addiction. It temporarily solves a living problem, but in the end the price paid for the temporary relief is quite steep!!

I took DARE at school a few years ago and the police officer/leader said that any sort of marijuana was bad for you, and that medical marijuana was the same thing as the illegal stuff, and that people get fake prescriptions from doctors to get their pot.

Not trying to cause an argument, this is simply just a statement.

Just an update since I last posted here in April/May:
I stopped smoking all day everyday and felt leaps and bounds better. I was still smoking anywhere between 2-3 times a week to daily (after work) and recreationally up until 2 months ago. I have not smoked marijuana since then and have noticed a HUGE increase in my social anxiety, in how many times I wake up at night, and find my energy levels to be laughable. I do not know if these things are connected but I was not feeling this way as a regular smoker and am not going to rule it out. There have been other changes in my life but they have all been positive and I honestly can't find another explanation. If I do start smoking again I will let you know what happens.

This thread is very "explosive" so I will word it really carefully....

There are a couple of points I'd like to make, which I feel are really important to do incase anyone impressionable reads this thread.

1) Autism isn't a disease, it's a condition. A way of life. No drug (legal or otherwise) is going to "fix" you.

2) People try many different ways to cope with their condition, or the problems brought about by their condition. Not all ways help, some do, and some lead onto more problems. There are many different ways to cope with your condition and/or issues arising from it.

3) Any substance you ingest from a legal source has had some measure of quality control legally applied to it (Quality control is not someone you know saying that this is "good stuff").

4) Any substance you ingest from a non-legal source may contain a cocktail of chemicals which you aren't aware of. These chemicals may vary from harmless to lethal, and you cannot find out which they are. People who supply you with substances will not know either.

5) What you do to yourself is your own choice, and you can choose to be influenced by other people if you want to.

6) People can vary in experience of using illegal drugs from a scale of "it didn't to anything to me" through "wow, i feel great" to "oops, I don't feel well" (followed by a trip to the morgue).

7) Whilst there are many different types of substances out there, and the public perception of them might be anything from "it's highly addictive, stay away" to "it's not that bad really", everybody has a different reaction to everything and you won't know what your reaction will be until you try something (at which point it is too late to change your mind).

---

I don't want to cause any arguments, but these points are, I think, valid and should be made clearly in a thread open to anyone to read of any age and experience with the world.

I am not going to be drawn into a pro/anti stance on this topic, because I want to just point out the reasons why I am always suspicious of anything offered to me by people not from the medical profession. This includes the substance being talked about here as well as a variety of other legal and illegal methods suggested to "help me".

I think that my post is valid because we have kids reading this, and a very balanced message about ingesting any substance needs to be put across.

I took DARE at school a few years ago and the police officer/leader said that any sort of marijuana was bad for you, and that medical marijuana was the same thing as the illegal stuff, and that people get fake prescriptions from doctors to get their pot.

Not trying to cause an argument, this is simply just a statement.
No problem. I was just sharing my experience. Itsnnot universal. Most people who drink don't become alcoholics, but my experience will help others weigh the choice in a different light. In hindsight, I actually see benefits marijuana that afforded me in regards to AS. If it helps someone, great! I believe in legalizing marijuana. Its been around long enough for people to weigh the pros and cons of using it. But for me, that ship sailed, crashed and burned.

I can't take marijuana because I zone out completely and I find it hard enough trying to stay in this world when I haven't taken anything. My friend was addicted to marijuana like I was with tobacco. He smoked it every day and I noticed that his memory was getting worse because he couldn't remember things he did the day before so I do think that people should smoke weed in moderation just like anything else.

Sure, I didnt know you worked for pharmaceutical company. Are you a sales rep?

I gave you one huge reference. A famous neurosurgeon. Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who did a well documented special on national television, about the politics vs the actual patients. Beyond that, Im not going t spend the time to give you citations, like i am trying this is going to be professionally published.

Im not just talking out of me @ss . This came up after a minute or two google searching..
Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed - CNN.com
GWPharma - Cannabinoid Compounds
10 Pharmaceutical Drugs Based on Cannabis - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org
Buy It Now, It’s Legal - Medical Marijuana Cannabidiol (CBD from Industrial Hemp) | Dr. Sircus

Im in a Master's program right now, I understand the importance of proper citation, but I thought this was a more relaxed forum, where people could talk openly and express their opinions.

My Brother in Law has M S. I do some volunteer work for the MS society, He is SOOOO grateful for medical marijuana. I can personally see it helping him. I also have many close personal friends and professional ties to some of the dispensary here in Colorado, that I have spent a bit of time in them, doing photography and some other odd jobs. MMJ has become a big part of Colorado economy. I have personally witnessed cancer patients and the terminally ill,coming into dispensaries and be so geratful for medical cannabis . I have heard countless stories from my brother in law, and dispensary owners about genuinely sick people being helped by this. Just because some pharmaceutical behemoth isn't growing fields of pot to synthesize into pills, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Now that it has been legalized, everyone thinks its just a big party in Colorado, but I assure you that Marijuana absolutely helps people. Sure there are people that abuse it, and use it recreationally, so what. Its still better than booze and cigarettes .

Ok, maybe "chomping on the bit" was a bit hyperbolic. Maybe they are not chomping on the bit, but it absolutely helps people. And that is all i was saying.

But WOW. I have already stopped talking about politics and religion in here. Can i not disagree with anyone in here, without a cited bibliography. Are people really this sensitive to having their views challenged? This is twice today that I was just trying to have a thoughtful conversation and people get offended over what seemed to me, to be nothing. I know we all have thin skin in here, I can respect that, but I think it feels like twice today people have used a very confrontational tone with me in here, and i dont think i deserve that. WHy are you the only one that is allowed to be offended? I was really liking talking to yall, but if I have to walk on eggshells in here. I really dont need a forum to feel akward and offensive to people. I can do that on my own just fine. Maybe i should take a break from this place. Sorry, i didnt realize i was such a grade A, jerk , thanks for clearing that up.
It has been a while since I have visited here as I was getting so angry with all the holier than thou attitudes thanks.

It effects everyone different. I'm not honestly interested enough to argue about it, but a lot of people in the comments have a lot of dated and very misguidedinformation about MJ. I am not what many or even I would consider a "stoner" (I certainly don't fit everyone's perception of what one looks like stereotypically,) I think mm most people are surprised to find out that I do. But I do have to smoke it to function in social events. A lot of the time I'll do it before I leave the house. And you don't need to smoke it, they have vaporizers for this now. I also live in Washington where we have more education about MJ and it's legal. I had my medical card before it was. But I will not agree that pot will work the same for everyone. All medication effects humans in different ways. We all have different dna and our bodies will react chemically to whatever, and it may not be a good one. So be careful.

I'm not sure if I should even think about smoking it as pot caused me to be psychotic. Well there might be contributing factors like the drug dealer adding some extra ingredients to the bud or I might be the the few who get extremely paranoid when smoking the stuff.

The last time I smoked it, before being dropped off to live with my dad, I nearly went insane. The environment I lived in was hell and I couldn't believe the fight I caused with my Aunt's boyfriend because of my childish behavior and his instability and alcoholism. I'm actually so lucky to be alive today. I don't think I could smoke the stuff really unless it was really really weak and I only did it rarely.

Now-a-days I don't smoke it as much and prefer beer over pot. I'm glad I stopped drinking liquor and that might what has been making psychotic too ...

I'm not sure if I should even think about smoking it as pot caused me to be psychotic. Well there might be contributing factors like the drug dealer adding some extra ingredients to the bud or I might be the the few who get extremely paranoid when smoking the stuff.

The last time I smoked it, before being dropped off to live with my dad, I nearly went insane. The environment I lived in was hell and I couldn't believe the fight I caused with my Aunt's boyfriend because of my childish behavior and his instability and alcoholism. I'm actually so lucky to be alive today. I don't think I could smoke the stuff really unless it was really really weak and I only did it rarely.

Now-a-days I don't smoke it as much and prefer beer over pot. I'm glad I stopped drinking liquor and that might what has been making psychotic too ...
Alcohol is a very bad drug, In a beverage it may be an unavoidable ingredient, as in good wines and good beers. But as a drug it will mess you up. A simple test can you go a week without it, if you can't quit.
As far as weed unless you can obtain medical grade you have no idea what has been done to it. Even then unless you have taken the time to find out which cannabinoids will be of benefit to you (there are 9 so far ) and the strains which contain them (and there are 100's of lab checked strains ) you may not benefit by using it. Oh yeah aside from its ability to help lift depression THC the dominant cannabinoid( the one that gets you stoned ) is not the most important medically, which your local dealer probably doesn't care about.
After having stated the obvious I will also say that if it will benefit you it is so much better than the crap the drug companies make.
The moral of this story: if its not a medical grade strain its not medicine.

Last edited:
Alcohol is a very bad drug, In a beverage it may be an unavoidable ingredient, as in good wines and good beers. But as a drug it will mess you up. A simple test can you go a week without it, if you can't quit.

I usually only drink to have a good time and or relax. My preferred drink is a Joose, which has only 12% alcohol. I never really drink when I'm depressed and prefer to drink when I'm playing old Nintendo games or modifying the ROM's ...

As far as weed unless you can obtain medical grade you have no idea what has been done to it. Even then unless you have taken the time to find out which cannabinoids will be of benefit to you (there are 9 so far ) and the strains which contain them (and there are 100's of lab checked strains ) you may not benefit by using it. Oh yeah aside from its ability to help lift depression THC the dominant cannabinoid( the one that gets you stoned ) is not the most important medically, which your local dealer probably doesn't care about.
After having stated the obvious I will also say that if it will benefit you it is so much better than the crap the drug companies make.
The moral of this story: if its not a medical grade strain its not medicine.

I was really stupid back then and made a lot of stupid choices :( To be honest when I left school I still had the mentality of an immature child and had issues with people treating me like one. I hated being told when to smoke pot or when to drink or when to do something.

This is what probably lead to many fights and nearly being killed by an unstable alcoholic who had anger issues and is known to be dangerously violent. I'm not really proud of the way I acted back then and when I do look back, I become ashamed of myself.

Why do you and everyone else continue to act like you guys have a better understanding of the way the world works then I do ?

Was I misdiagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome ? Maybe the doctors were thinking of something else like my IQ being below 60 or 50 :(

Last month, my boyfriend's mother told me about a story that she'd heard about a guy in California (I think) that killed his wife after allegedly eating 30$ worth of marijuana edibles. My boyfriend's parents are extremely anti-weed and I just know that they were so elated to now have that story under their "Weed is the Devil" belt. All of us who actually have a grip on reality know that 30$ worth of edibles is barely enough to get you stoned and absolutely does not cause violent tendencies. We don't know anything about this man's past mental health or abusive nature, yet everyone is so quick to blame the marijuana. Literally Reefer Madness. Literally.

Last month, my boyfriend's mother told me about a story that she'd heard about a guy in California (I think) that killed his wife after allegedly eating 30$ worth of marijuana edibles. My boyfriend's parents are extremely anti-weed and I just know that they were so elated to now have that story under their "Weed is the Devil" belt. All of us who actually have a grip on reality know that 30$ worth of edibles is barely enough to get you stoned and absolutely does not cause violent tendencies. We don't know anything about this man's past mental health or abusive nature, yet everyone is so quick to blame the marijuana. Literally Reefer Madness. Literally.
Alexa, that story took place here in Denver after a couple of days in the news it was not in the news. Basically the guy who killed his wife just killed his wife the medibles were only incidental and not actually the problem, he was just an SOB.
I would not recommend collecting a few violent drunk stories share them with your boyfriends mother, then offer her some lemonade as you wouldn't want her to go all drunk and psychotic if she had a mixed drink. Maybe she'll see the stupidity of it all.

Alexa, that story took place here in Denver after a couple of days in the news it was not in the news. Basically the guy who killed his wife just killed his wife the medibles were only incidental and not actually the problem, he was just an SOB.
I would not recommend collecting a few violent drunk stories share them with your boyfriends mother, then offer her some lemonade as you wouldn't want her to go all drunk and psychotic if she had a mixed drink. Maybe she'll see the stupidity of it all.

Thank you for the clarification :). I have just accepted the fact the most people are so in to the way they think that they won't even consider anything that challenges their beliefs. I like open minded people. Not the opposite.

Thank you for the clarification :). I have just accepted the fact the most people are so in to the way they think that they won't even consider anything that challenges their beliefs. I like open minded people. Not the opposite.
Ask your boyfriends mother if any of her contemporaries were ever beaten up by their alcoholic husbands. And then ask if she knows anyone beaten up by a pothead

Ask your boyfriends mother if any of her contemporaries were ever beaten up by their alcoholic husbands. And then ask if she knows anyone beaten up by a pothead

It's not even worth it trying to convince her otherwise. BUT I am very well versed in that subject actually. My alcoholic stepfather is abusive towards my mother. Plain and simple, alcohol is like fuel for the hostility, rage, and violence. No one seems to listen to me though, not even my own mother. So I continue to just live in my own world, it's a pretty chill and happy place.

I have severe depression and it helps me out. Its absolutely true, drugs, and all things in our environment , affect everyone differently, even identical twins. I've been prescribed plenty of drugs by psychiatrists that had awful side effects, you stop taking it and move on. I would like yo see it legal and regulated.

I have severe depression and it helps me out. Its absolutely true, drugs, and all things in our environment , affect everyone differently, even identical twins. I've been prescribed plenty of drugs by psychiatrists that had awful side effects, you stop taking it and move on. I would like yo see it legal and regulated.

That's already happening in two out of fifty states, unless you count the ones that have legal medical marijuana :D

New Threads

Top Bottom