• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and avoidance

Ocarina

I seem to have spent a great deal of my adult life trying to avoid "feelings" to keep myself in a state of equanimity, avoid feeling overwhelmed and vulnerable - particularly in relationships where the closeness to another person tends to trigger all these things and results in my withdrawal either emotionally or physically or both.

In some ways this has been a success but in others I now see that it has limited the way that I live, that I have created a shell of self protection around the real me which is exhausting to maintain.

How much of this is something that comes with the ASD territory and how much is a response to the multitudinous small rejections that come from being different, from not being accepted during childhood?

I am hoping to gradually learn to sit with my emotions, to stop running from discomfort and to find real freedom.

i'm living the same question, i've been told that i have entirely dissociated my aware self from my emotions, but that doesn't mean that the emotions aren't happening, they supposedly are, i'm just not actively aware of them, regrettably that way they are never processed and fester in my subconscious, the cumulation supposedly leads to a bunch of my psychosomatic medical problems, my constant fatigue and why i sometimes overreact or am overly defensive to certain situations, which just reinforces people not getting me

I definitely suppress emotions - when i realise i ammstarting to become aware.
Often painful and would the awareness of the emotions mean that i would have to act and change things that i am not perhaps happy with?

But being 'new' to feeling emotion would i judge it badly?

Not exactly new to emotion but keep them down as they are often too strong to deal with.
A history of being beaten down when i do try to express.

As ocarina said equanimity.

I seem to have spent a great deal of my adult life trying to avoid "feelings" to keep myself in a state of equanimity, avoid feeling overwhelmed and vulnerable - particularly in relationships where the closeness to another person tends to trigger all these things and results in my withdrawal either emotionally or physically or both.

In some ways this has been a success but in others I now see that it has limited the way that I live, that I have created a shell of self protection around the real me which is exhausting to maintain.

How much of this is something that comes with the ASD territory and how much is a response to the multitudinous small rejections that come from being different, from not being accepted during childhood?

I am hoping to gradually learn to sit with my emotions, to stop running from discomfort and to find real freedom.

This link has a search response on a site that close to 200 posts related to what you said you would like to learn to do. I am not sure the approaches they use on this site will suit you. If not, just use what you want to learn to do as keywords on a search engine.

This link has a search response on a site that close to 200 posts related to what you said you would like to learn to do. I am not sure the approaches they use on this site will suit you. If not, just use what you want to learn to do as keywords on a search engine.
Thanks Alaska I will have a look - without and active emotional life I find I often feel kind of numb - and whilst maybe that's preferable to feeling bad I think I would benefit greatly from accessing the hidden depths that the others on this thread have mentioned.

Thanks Alaska I will have a look - without and active emotional life I find I often feel kind of numb - and whilst maybe that's preferable to feeling bad I think I would benefit greatly from accessing the hidden depths that the others on this thread have mentioned.
Oops - can't find the link Alaska could you paste it please? Thank you

I have to wonder if emotions will happen anyway? And whether or not it's the feelings surrounding an emotion that some people are afraid of.
Attachments, memories and so on.?

I think that being more aware and being able to recognise and sit with emotions would actually bring freedom and choice - often when we're avoiding things we think we're advocating for freedom but actually getting tangled in a web of our own making just by trying to escape from whatever it is we don't want to confront. From a psychological point of view it seems they need to be experienced and allowed in order to lose their power rather than suppressed or ignored leading to physical and mental health issues.

So much of the rubbish in life seems to stem from avoiding - the overspending, alcohol abuse, compulsive overeating - isn't that a reaction to not wanting to feel what's already there or to filling a feeling of emptiness?

I believe that tolerating discomfort and allowing it to be there and then choosing a course of action would be real freedom.

Gracey I am not sure what is frightening or whether there's a difference between emotions and feelings - maybe it's the meaning we attach to them that is the problem because in essence all they are is fleeting bodily sensations to which we ascribe names and meaning. Let go of the latter and perhaps they would flow more easily.

Emotions are brought about by neurotransmitters causing physiological changes in the body releasing hormones that affect action/mood.

Feelings are what we think about those emotions.

As a child, crying would result in punishment for me.
I wanted to cry, it being a perfectly natural emotion.
My feelings surrounding the act of crying were negative (memories and associations)

I agree emotions are normal - but for some reason - whether this is asd or suppression, I often struggle to actually process recognise and experience the emotion, let alone get as far as feelings...

I agree emotions are normal - but for some reason - whether this is asd or suppression, I often struggle to actually process recognise and experience the emotion, let alone get as far as feelings...
What it usually is is a mixture made of autism suppression and trying to live with the two at the same time

Sorry Ocarina. Trying the link several ways again:

Dealing with Uncomfortable Feelings & Creating Positive Ones

The site is named Tiny Buddha. The post is about dealing with emotions. There are lots more posts on this site on the subject. This one seemed almost made to order for what you mentioned in your post for starting this thread.
Thank you so much Alaska - this could have been written exactly in answer to my question. The methods described in the article are just what I would like to explore. I'm interested - have you or anyone else tried anything similar?

I used to feel emotionally dead - as though I didn't really have emotions at all, but nowadays I don't think this is true they just seem to be buried somewhere.

I'm here instead of at work right now because my emotions not being acknowledged by myself lead to a meltdown. I've made a Dr appt for med review, but my suppressing/not being aware of emotions definitely needs to be addressed. Emotions suck, but not dealing with them tends to lead to bigger problems, in my experience.

I'm here instead of at work right now because my emotions not being acknowledged by myself lead to a meltdown. I've made a Dr appt for med review, but my suppressing/not being aware of emotions definitely needs to be addressed. Emotions suck, but not dealing with them tends to lead to bigger problems, in my experience.

Difficult stuff - and sorry to hear you're going through this. At least you're aware of the fact that you're not dealing with this - and that it's adversely affecting you. I often find I have physical signs or reactions to emotions I'm not even aware have happened - like the emotion goes under the conscious radar but the body still recognises what's going on. Yoga is helping - as is mindfulness/ meditation practice and just asking myself at regular hours throughout the day "How do you feel?"

Not sure about anyone else but I have emotions kind of sneak up on me - and then show up in one big pile- not exactly a meltdown in my case, more a sudden overload of whatever it is that has been building up eg inconsolable sadness which is triggered by a relatively minor event but reflects years of of pain that has built up.

Maybe I'm just weird...

Difficult stuff - and sorry to hear you're going through this. At least you're aware of the fact that you're not dealing with this - and that it's adversely affecting you. I often find I have physical signs or reactions to emotions I'm not even aware have happened - like the emotion goes under the conscious radar but the body still recognises what's going on. Yoga is helping - as is mindfulness/ meditation practice and just asking myself at regular hours throughout the day "How do you feel?"

Not sure about anyone else but I have emotions kind of sneak up on me - and then show up in one big pile- not exactly a meltdown in my case, more a sudden overload of whatever it is that has been building up eg inconsolable sadness which is triggered by a relatively minor event but reflects years of of pain that has built up.

Maybe I'm just weird...
My psychiatric nurse said it's common for children to cut off their emotions when they are Young, it's a primal instinct to protect the mind.
The problem is the neuronal connections in a child's brain become hardened at about four years old.
So having to process the emotions years later Will be distressing.
But we are not designed to be just an intellect

Thank you so much Alaska - this could have been written exactly in answer to my question. The methods described in the article are just what I would like to explore. I'm interested - have you or anyone else tried anything similar?

I used to feel emotionally dead - as though I didn't really have emotions at all, but nowadays I don't think this is true they just seem to be buried somewhere.

I have a problem related to trauma. It is called Disassociative Disorder. There are several versions of it. Mine is the one where you can lose touch with what is happening to your body. When this thing kicks in, a Dr. can ask me where something that should be very painful, hurts, and I can't answer that question. There may be a long pause before I can manage to answer, or might not be able to answer at all until several days or longer, have passed.

Other Aspies/Auties on here have mentioned something similar happening to them. I am not sure whether it is the same as my Disassociative Disorder or no. I have been wondering whether Disassociative Disorder is something that comes with Autism Spectrum or it is something different.

Your not feeling emotions sounds like it is possible you also have Disassociative Disorder. When I start recovering from DD, my emotions begin to return also.

I have a problem related to trauma. It is called Disassociative Disorder. There are several versions of it. Mine is the one where you can lose touch with what is happening to your body. When this thing kicks in, a Dr. can ask me where something that should be very painful, hurts, and I can't answer that question. There may be a long pause before I can manage to answer, or might not be able to answer at all until several days or longer, have passed.

Other Aspies/Auties on here have mentioned something similar happening to them. I am not sure whether it is the same as my Disassociative Disorder or no. I have been wondering whether Disassociative Disorder is something that comes with Autism Spectrum or it is something different.

Your not feeling emotions sounds like it is possible you also have Disassociative Disorder. When I start recovering from DD, my emotions begin to return also.

I recognise this at least to some degree - it can take really some time to be able to locate and vocalise what's going on.

I found this quote earlier:

"When your feelings are under-responded to as a child (CEN), you grow up pushing away, questioning, or numbing out your own emotions."

I wonder if because as children many of us were not quite the norm, we as a group, had less acceptance of feelings by others - perhaps less acceptance in general and that as a result all this avoidance whether conscious or not, we learnt that to be OK we needed not to express or recognise feelings and to somehow lose ourselves. I'm sure that some of the difficulty I find in connecting to others comes from this - that being out of touch with emotions renders it difficult to form a close connected relationship with another person.

I recognise this at least to some degree - it can take really some time to be able to locate and vocalise what's going on.

I found this quote earlier:

"When your feelings are under-responded to as a child (CEN), you grow up pushing away, questioning, or numbing out your own emotions."

I wonder if because as children many of us were not quite the norm, we as a group, had less acceptance of feelings by others - perhaps less acceptance in general and that as a result all this avoidance whether conscious or not, we learnt that to be OK we needed not to express or recognise feelings and to somehow lose ourselves. I'm sure that some of the difficulty I find in connecting to others comes from this - that being out of touch with emotions renders it difficult to form a close connected relationship with another person.

I think you are spot on, Ocarina.
I recently read about CEN (Childhood Emotional Neglect) via

https://drjonicewebb.com/about-emotional-neglect/

and I must say that as much as ASD struck a nerve, so did CEN.
Children require emotional support and nurturing to develop healthy responses and their ability to identify and understand and ultimately handle their emotions and responses as functioning adults.

"Children who are emotionally neglected then grow up to have a particular set of struggles. Because their emotions were not validated as children, they may have difficulty knowing and trusting their own emotions as adults. They may have difficulty understanding their own feelings, as well as others’. Because an important part of themselves (their emotional self) has been denied, they may find themselves feeling disconnected, unfulfilled or empty. They may have difficulty trusting or relying upon others. Many describe feeling that they are different from other people; like something is wrong with them, but they’re not sure what it is."

How similar the outcome from CEN and ASD? Children without the added 'complication' of ASD who experience CEN also grow up emotional detached and unable to identify, understand and respond appropriately to their emotions as adults, which leads to troubled relationships.

What about kids with ASD who already feel alienated?
We do not (typically) exhibit an excess of emotions or initiate physical contact. Many are adverse to hugs or the more typical displays of affection. Parents may not know how to show their ASD child affection that their child can interpret and understand as affection and emotional support, and ASD kids don't know what they are 'supposed' to do, as they look for cues and patterns of 'correct' behaviour. There is a disconnect between parent and child.

The lack of emotional support during childhood had an enormously detrimental affect on me. I did not receive adequate knowledge about emotions. Emotions were not identified so I did not know what I was feeling. Any emotions I did express were not validated.

I believe my ASD wanted me to fit in and not cause issues in the family. I was also prone to taking the first instruction as to apply to all subsequent situations. In effect, this meant if one emotional response was not validated, I would expect all subsequent emotions of that nature to also be ignored. And they were, which only further confirmed my interpretation.

It is incredibly painful as a child to feel that you do not fit in or understand the world around you and to feel like an outsider in your own family where you are supposed to feel accepted and safe. When you already feel the world is confusing and you feel out of place and out of step, trying to connect with family members for reassurance only to be ignored or dismissed by them also... no wonder we cut off all attempts to identify emotions and 'feel', choosing numbness instead, presenting an unemotional mask to the world - which includes to those who we should be safe to be ourselves and be vulnerable.

Upon reading more about C.E.N it seems we can reverse the blockage but not the damage. Essentially we become our own parents. We go back to our childhood and identify the incidents that hold pain and we tell that child what should have been said and done by a supportive parent at the time. Re-wiring our emotional memory and in turn validating our emotional response at the time.

"Awareness" is also paramount in accessing our emotions.
All emotional responses we have are valid.
Anger, confusion, pride, excitement, sorrow... no one can dictate how or when or why we should feel a particular emotion. We must give ourselves permission to simply feel. Once we are used to noticing when we feel an emotion, the next stage is to see if we can identify what that emotion is. Always remembering that there is no such thing as a correct emotion. The one you are feeling is correct. Asking ourselves what triggered us to feel that particular emotion is the self-analysis stage. If you are stuck, talk to a trusted source for guidance. Talking through our emotions is what we were deprived of.
Not being able to identify an emotion and not being provided with guidance on how to do so contributed to stunting our emotional development. No wonder ASD are often referred to as 'Spok' or 'cold' or 'emotionless'. We have them...oh we have them, sometimes all at once... but are often unable to identify and express them safely.

I think Emotional Neglect is also lack of support of individuality.
Society simply wants everyone to fit in. More so when you stand out.
When you do not feel your choices are supported, that also causes one to shut off and turn inward, further isolating, alienating, and exacerbating the situation. Until society embraces individuality, we are fighting more than an internal battle.

If you already feel alone and then your experiences teach you that feeling is correct, how do you overcome that? I guess it boils down to support.

New Threads

Top Bottom