• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger and/or Obsessive compulsive disorder=Increased likelihood of addiction

oskarandri

When people have Asperger's syndrome and/or Obsessive compulsive disorder they have an increased likelihood of getting addictive or to show compulsive behaviour, like me, i'm mildly addictive to computers,food but i'm moderately(worse than mild) addictive to masturbation so i'm pretty worst in that field. But with a little discipline i can get along just fine but with masturbation that can be quite a problem.

I find that I have routines that I usually follow. I wouldn't call any of them addictive though. I think it's more about having stability in the routines rather than compulsive behavior about them.

I'm addicted to caffeine and cigarettes, if that's the kind of addiction you're talking about. Obsession with computers or anything else is part of my personality, I can't really help that. I can try to fight it if it becomes counterproductive but eventually something else will take its place.

As for the masturbation thing, there's nothing wrong with that at all. There are bigots out there who'll try to rub you wrong about it for various reasons but in reality you're doing yourself absolutely no harm. Unless it's in public...

Last edited:
I have Aspergers Syndrome and OCD. I do find that I'm rather addicted to my computer or other electronic devices (Wii, Nintendo DS, etc). A close family member of mine was an alcoholic so I wonder if I'm genetically pre-disposed to it because of those genetics plus the AS stuff.

I would have to agree with hypothesis, but I think there'd be many conditions other than Aspergers which when combined with OCD would result in an increased likelihood of addiction.

I don't know if OCD is to blame but I do believe it's easier for Aspies to get addicted and it's harder to get out of the addiction, not impossible though...

I find that, when engaged in stint-of-school at my living quarters, my Aspergers/OCD will bring about perfectionism; mania instigating my evasion of every miscue of chirography, which, in turn, precipitates the protracted lapse of time in my work.

New Threads

Top Bottom