• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asking for opinion on noise issue

Edgar Swanson

I live in an apartment and have enjoyed it for the most part, but there is one issue with the person who lives below me. The person is mostly quiet but once a day, there is a slam that is so loud I almost think it is intentional. I am unsure if this would qualify as something where I could file a noise complaint with management as it is only once, but extremely loud. I do not wish to confront the person as I have left a note asking politely not to make such a loud slam and that worked for a week. What are some suggestions others may have to deal with noise issues?

You might first want to check your lease's fine print to see if the management even will acknowledge the transgressions of other tenants. I know in my own case, it's contractually my responsibility to resolve such an issue with the tenant, and/or law enforcement. Not the landlord.

Sadly I've dealt with people in my building slamming their front doors for years. I have no idea why they feel so compelled to do such a thing, yet I have the distinct impression that they don't care in the least that it may bother other tenants. At least this person below you doesn't make other noticeable noises. It could be worse.

Unless your landlord takes on such a role, I don't think there's much you can do. Moving might solve the issue temporarily, but it all comes down to the luck of what tenants live around you. Which frankly is probably more than a long shot than anything else.

Hello, it is not at the same time each day it is at random, but usually at night. It's usually only once a day and there are other noises from other neighbors surrounding me, but those noises aren't loud enough to be a concern, just that one very loud slam from the one below that is loud enough to nearly give someone a heart attack. And yes, it's happened for a few years. Thank you for your reply.

You might first want to check your lease's fine print to see if the management even will acknowledge the transgressions of other tenants. I know in my own case, it's contractually my responsibility to resolve such an issue with the tenant, and/or law enforcement. Not the landlord.

Sadly I've dealt with people in my building slamming their front doors for years. I have no idea why they feel so compelled to do such a thing, yet I have the distinct impression that they don't care in the least that it may bother other tenants. At least this person below you doesn't make other noticeable noises. It could be worse.

Unless your landlord takes on such a role, I don't think there's much you can do. Moving might solve the issue temporarily, but it all comes down to the luck of what tenants live around you. Which frankly is probably more than a long shot than anything else.

Yes, it is very frustrating, I am as quiet as a mouse and if someone left me note about a certain noise I was making I would certainly stop and would never forget. That is one reason I dont just walk down there and knock on the door, because of this persons lack of consideration for others, I would assume I wouldn't really like what he had to say. :tongueout:

I will look over the lease more carefully, thanks for suggesting that.

it is not at the same time each day it is at random, but usually at night.
  1. My first thought is that he might be coming home drunk and has forgotten his commitment to you.
  2. If the door latch isn't working correctly, he might have to close it harder to get it to catch...

If the door latch isn't working correctly, he might have to close it harder to get it to catch...

You may be onto something...lol. ;)

Maybe if someone sprayed a little WD-40 around the outside of the lock, striker and door knob the tenant might not have to slam it so often. Something I discovered with my own apartment door. All that desert dust does a real number on parts that need far more lubrication than they get.

Though up until this moment I haven't given any thought to sneaking around and doing the same to other tenant's doors. Hmmmm. Maybe the OP could consider that. Would make for a great non-confrontational solution if that was the real problem. Assuming of course the tenant in question realizes they may no longer need to slam their door. :cool:

Yeah, the maintenance folks are supposed to be on top of those things, but it's like pulling teeth in reminding them. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You may be onto something...lol. ;)
The reason that I suggested that there might be other factors is (according to the OP) it only happens once per day, not every time he goes through that door. Something must be different at "slam" time...
full

The reason that I suggested that there might be other factors is (according to the OP) it only happens once per day, not every time he goes through that door. Something must be different at "slam" time...
full

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yeah. If it's a matter of attitude or temperament, that could be a bigger problem.

Being a neighbor to a fellow tenant is par for the course. But we can't be their psychoanalyst. :eek:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yeah. If it's a matter of attitude or temperament, that could be a bigger problem.

Being a neighbor to a fellow tenant is par for the course. But we can't be their psychoanalyst. :eek:
The rest of the time, he is seeking to honor his neighbor's request (at best) or has quieter habits (at worst).

Guess you could look at it logically and spray something on hinges.
Or come down and talk face to face. It maybe they have no idea how loud it sounds.
Are you loud? Is this a reaction to noise coming from somewhere else?

Are you loud? Is this a reaction to noise coming from somewhere else?

Indeed.

It would be terribly ironic if the other tenant was forcefully reacting to the noise of yet another tenant. That the OP may not be the only person in the building so sensitive to the noise of others. Anything's possible. o_O

Reminds me of a tenant that once lived above who used to ritually drop their shoes to the floor at the same time late at night. "Creatures of habit", sometimes those that they aren't even aware of.

Last edited:
Thank you for all for you replies, I just wanted to give an update, I did come up with a solution (for the most part). I had someone else with good people skills go down and talk to him and now everything is worked out. It turns out this guy below me actually works for the HOA!! He does know his window is a problem and will be more careful when closing it, but not to be upset if he accidentally slips. It's one of those huge windows that slides shut sideways and it is hard to close apparently.

He said he would have talked to me but I don't look very approachable, I am very shy and might look like I'm avoiding any interaction with people and I am trying to work on that. He also said I was very good about keeping noise down from my end. If I cross paths with him I will be friendly and a conversation with him.

Thank you for all for you replies, I just wanted to give an update, I did come up with a solution (for the most part). I had someone else with good people skills go down and talk to him and now everything is worked out. It turns out this guy below me actually works for the HOA!! He does know his window is a problem and will be more careful when closing it, but not to be upset if he accidentally slips. It's one of those huge windows that slides shut sideways and it is hard to close apparently. He said he would have talked to me but I dont look very approachable, I am very shy and might look like I'm avoiding any interaction with people and I am trying to work on that. He also said I was very good about keeping noise down from my end. If I cross paths with him I will be friendly and a conversation with him.

Well done, Edgar! :)

Indeed.

It would be terribly ironic if the other tenant was forcefully reacting to the noise of yet another tenant. That the OP may not be the only person in the building so sensitive to the noise of others. Anything's possible. o_O

Reminds me of a tenant that once lived above who used to ritually drop their shoes to the floor at the same time late at night. "Creatures of habit", sometimes those that they aren't even aware of.

Retaliating by making more noise is very immature and its the wrong way to approach it. It will just make them angry and they will certainly not stop after you piss them off, I know because I've tried this before with people across from me. A better approach would be to knock on their door and when they answer say, "Is everything okay? I heard loud banging and I'm just checking on your well being." It is courteous and they will realize they are making too much noise without being angry at you. And if they happen to be very unfriendly people, they probably dont want any visitors so that will be more incentive to keep the noise down.

Retaliating by making more noise is very immature and its the wrong way to approach it. It will just make them angry and they will certainly not stop after you piss them off, I know because I've tried this before with people across from me. A better approach would be to knock on their door and when they answer say, "Is everything okay? I heard loud banging and I'm just checking on your well being." It is courteous and they will realize they are making too much noise without being angry at you. And if they happen to be very unfriendly people, they probably dont want any visitors so that will be more incentive to keep the noise down.

Good points. It's always better to try to resolve a conflict in a more friendly way when possible, with mixed results. Hostility usually just escalates things in the wrong direction. Though sadly over the years I've witnessed just about everything when it comes to tenants who either try to get along, or are utterly indifferent to everyone around them.

And it's always a crapshoot in terms of what neighbors you get, whether you move or they move. I like to think that I've found some middle ground in it all, trying to be more tolerable of outside noises, while keeping a pair of ear protectors close by just in case.

New Threads

Top Bottom