• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asking a girl i like out over text. Good idea or bad idea?

Samuel

I'm a male teenager with asperger syndrome and i just finished my sophomore year of high school about two weeks ago. Ever since January of this year i've had a pretty big crush on this girl who was in one of my classes at school. Despite my social interaction issues we actually managed to become pretty good friends and have quite a bit in common, but i really have no idea if she likes me back.
I still haven't built up the courage to ask her out on a date but since school is over I'm thinking about just asking her out over text because she asked me for my phone number a little while ago, but she's known to be very nice to a lot of people so i didn't take it as a sign that she liked me at all.
The two main reasons i want to ask her out over text is because 1 since it's summer we won't be talking to each other in person unless we mske plans to hang out or something and 2 i'm worried that if i ask in person I'll get really anxious and make a fool out of myself, and she'll probably find my lack of confidence unattractive and therefore say no.
But anyway, do you guys think i should ask my crush out over text? Why or why not? Btw, if it helps at all i'm pretty sure she doesn't know i have aspergers.

Texting is just too "distant" socially speaking. Nope, if you want to ask someone out, either call them or ask them in person. Show this person that they are very meaningful to you.

Do you already text her often? If not, first start doing that. If so, then build up to your question through normal conversation.

I wouldn’t ask a girl out via text, but my generation operated differently. The rules have changed and she probably won’t mind, especially if you don’t regularly see each other in person.

Of note, break ups should still be done in person. There is something to be had for learning to have hard conversations. It is a necessary life skill.

I agree with chocoholic that you should call if you are able (I have so much phone anxiety I couldn't). Or maybe ask her through Skype, Facetime, Facebook video call, or a similar service.

Pretty much everyone I know asks each other out using text. (I'm 19). I'd definitely text her, just keep it casual. A simple "I was wondering if you'd want to hang out sometime" would probably do. That way you avoid rejection because you can play it off as platonic and keep things from becoming awkward, although you'll probably have to admit your feelings at some point in the future if things go well.

If you can work up the courage, ditch the text and give her a call, you obviously have her mobile number if you were going to text.

Plan something fun and low investment (Both time and money). Don't play it up like you guys are going to get married or going on a date. What does she like? Try to figure out something like that. Otherwise, just go do something that you would enjoy (I'm talking stuff girls also like, obv). Then just ask if she would like to go do x or go to x on x day. No movie dates, dinner, etc. Too much investment. You are both going to be stuck with each other for an hour or more, bad situation.

Texting = low commitment. Calling = higher commitment. It's not a black and white issue or a huge deal. The overall vibe you give is more important, but calling really sets you apart. That could be in a good way, or in a bad way. Old farts such as myself are usually better off calling (old fart texting = technogrampa vibe, not good).

The girl asked for your number. Now, unless she does that to everyone (You didn't ask her, did you?!) that's a pretty strong sign she likes you, either as a friend or more. 5 months though... geez. Well maybe that's ok if you are really hot.

And remember you are just hanging out for now. There is no confession other than "This was fun, we should do this again some time".

Worst case scenario she wants to be friends and you guys can go shopping together. Shopping is awesome.

@Samuel
Texting sounds like a good idea to me. :)

Older people favor the more formal methods
(telephone or speaking face to face)
but if you have been texting with this girl, that
would be a natural way to bring up the idea
of you two hanging out together.

If you haven't been texting each other much or
at all, though, work up to asking gradually.
Don't just jump in her face, so to speak. First
establish that texting between you and her is
a comfortable way to talk, now that school
is out.

Pretty much everyone I know asks each other out using text. (I'm 19). I'd definitely text her, just keep it casual. A simple "I was wondering if you'd want to hang out sometime" would probably do. That way you avoid rejection because you can play it off as platonic and keep things from becoming awkward, although you'll probably have to admit your feelings at some point in the future if things go well.
It's funny that you say that because i actually already asked her if she wanted to hang out sometime a couple months ago and she gladly agreed and said we can hang out anytime, but we haven't even made plans as to when and where we should hang out believe it or not. Though the thing is is that even though i was just asking her to hang out, i still managed to make things pretty awkward because i just can't help but get really anxious when i talk to good looking girls like her. I'll just talk to her about setting up a date to hang out and then I'll see how everything goes from there. Thanks for your response!

New Threads

Top Bottom