• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD appropriate jobs

It's not for everybody, but what's worked well for me is to be an engineer for a small metal fab shop. It suits my strengths well. But most of our work is done in our in-house shop, so any errors are taken care of on site, rather than the pressure of it failing on someone else's watch. I have to talk to customers but only about the drawings I make. Sales takes care of smoothing the customer over, and service takes the heat of customers calling up with problems (often because they totally disregarded the manual).

Also, excuse me for being well, a bit snobby, but IMO working in the likes of McDonald's is for someone with no qualifications who would struggle to get a job elsewhere, except the Managers obviously, they have to have Management experience and qualifications.

Also, if you aren't fast on your feet, don't bother with the fast food industry, the customers literally want their stuff like, an hour ago.

Also, excuse me for being well, a bit snobby, but IMO working in the likes of McDonald's is for someone with no qualifications who would struggle to get a job elsewhere, except the Managers obviously, they have to have Management experience and qualifications.

Also, if you aren't fast on your feet, don't bother with the fast food industry, the customers literally want their stuff like, an hour ago.

Lol. That's actually part of why I hated it, thought I was better than that. I'm still working on my degree though, so it was good for some experience. It's actually a hard job, requires you to be resilient, and multi-task, and so on. Hard for aspies, but hard for most people, too.

As to being fast on your feet, its kind of a broken system. You just have to do your best, because you'll never be fast enough, really. Ignore the managers telling you to go faster and just do your best. It's completely about adopting the right mindset. Granted, I've only realised that now, after quitting, but I think its true. Still wouldn't go back there to work.

I can only work for myself. Now that I know I’m AS I have finally stopped beating myself up about that. I’ve had a few different businesses but have decided to focus on writing now.

I'm a chef and it works for me. I like to keep a lot of things in my mind at one time and plan out what I'm doing. The pace keeps my mind occupied so my anxiety doesn't have room to take hold. I like that I can present something and people appreciate it. I can organize all the dishes and when different things have to happen to them. It feels like I am in Cooking dash (food management game)in real life

New Threads

Top Bottom