• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

are you sensitive to pain?

are you sensitive/numb to pain?

• very oversensitive to pain

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • somehow oversensitive to pain

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • somehow numb to pain (most pains, anyway)

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • very numb to pain

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

alien girl

i'm way oversensitive to pain and every checkup that supposed to be painless hurts a lot. i've heard many aspies are half numb to most pain. how many out there are like me? it bothers me, because i'm very anxious before getting regular checkups, and people say it doesnt hurt, but it does - a lot, so i dont know what to expect. this is annoying.

I'm also very oversensitive to pain. Everyhting that shouldn't hurt at all hurts like hell for me. Because of that I have a huge fear of pain. That's why I'm really wary person. I'm afraid that I will hurt myself in some way. :(

Highly hypersensitive. It led to people in elementary school continuously poking me because they thought it was hilarious that it hurt me.

I am very sensitive to almost any kind of pain to my head. Even a simple headache (not a migraine) can stop me from functioning normally. The strange thing is that when i go to the dentist and I have to get an injection into my gum it doesn't really bother me at all, but when I'm getting a tooth drilled it is almost unbearable. One kind of pain that really hurts bad is when I stub one of my toes but it only seems to last a minute or so and then I'm fine.

This is a weird one for me. Things / people touching me hurts a lot. But things that should actually be painful, like cuts, punctures, blunt-force-trauma, are either impossible to feel or amount to no more than a "oh! Well, that was a surprise. What was I doing?"

It's an interesting contrast not being able to stand the lightest touch from someone, but I have gashed my arm nearly half an inch deep in multiple places with no sensory feedback whatsoever (I never did find out what I cut myself on that day).

I'm mostly numb to some pains, and overly sensitive to others.

For example, I love getting tattoos, and piercings don't bother me. If I have some small injury, I usually forget about the pain and don't feel it again until I think about it.

On the other hand, I have a bulging disk in my spine and scoliosis, and that's simply a pain I can't ignore. Any doctor I go to finds it hard to believe I'm in that much pain and refuses to help. So that's something I've had to learn to put up with. And then there's something else I've noticed that's kind of weird...When my husband and I are snuggling, sometimes he'll rub my upper arm with his thumb really lightly, but it actually hurts a little. I don't mind it too much, it just seems odd to me.

Yes and no. There are places where the slightest touch hurts badly, but others where I could get a deep cut and barely notice it. I can pick up extremely hot things with my bare hands (example: metal pans out of the oven), yet I can't handle a hot shower without slowly bringing up the water temperature from lukewarm. If I get the slightest scratch on my legs, I feel as though I am being sliced up with a knife.

When I have meltdowns I punch and myself in the head because it relaxes me.
I like punches and I don't like light touch so I would prefare if somebody punches me rather then resting there hand on my shoulder. I also hit my head when i'm exited but it's very light compared to my meltdowns. I had a meltdown the other night because it was the third night that I couldn't sleep(I had an exam at 7 in the morning) and I punched myself in the head untill I was relaxed.

I don't go to the dentist anymore, if that tells you anything. I do not like having my teeth polished, and I'm not sure I can be civil to the next floss nazi that calls me a "big baby".

My sense of pain is... just as weird as I am. I grew up barefooted, and even now when the callouses are long gone, I can mostly walk on gravel roads and other unpleasant things with much less yipping than other people. Because I also ran through the woods, I've got a really good rolling step when my foot hits something bad that I can keep my balance and immediately get pressure off so I don't drive something in deeper. Very useful when you had to dodge pine cones, sweet gum balls, and briars! I've also left massive bruises on myself when accidentally bumping into something. But cold feels like a very special fire and burns to no end when I come in contact with too much of it. And I want to bite anybody that gets near my teeth with those evil tooth polishers.

I'm somewhat numb to typical pains, like a headache or injury or from feeling sick or whatever. Doesn't mean I enjoy those things, but it doesn't get me down like it seems to do with other people.

However, there are a couple of pains that really bother me, like needle sticks. Can NOT stand needles. And touching a wound or even an old scar is very painful, even if it shouldn't really hurt. I know this is more psychological, but that's what I feel.

Light touch really bothers me, too. I wouldn't call it painful, more just EXTREMELY irritating. Tickling is painful, though.

Weird, I just wanted to post something about pain :) I think I have pretty high pain tolerance. Location also matters. It's harder for me to deal with pain caused by infection. For me stomach and teeth are the most sensitive areas pain wise.
My older son is hypersensitive to pain, I can barely brush his hair, he doesn't really like showers. But I think his sensitivity depends on how overwhelmed he's in general.

I actually wondered if somebody ever felt... kind of comfortable with their pain. I've been in some sort of pain my entire life and eventually it became a part of my everyday living. I only become concerned when pain becomes very strong, if I develop fever or start shaking (in the most severe cases). This morning I had some neck pain, I didn't know whether it was due to migraine or something else. I was driving in a car thinking, how would it feel if I didn't have any type of pain for a long time? And do I want to try to achieve it. Do I want to feel no pain at all, no headaches, no stomach issues? And where would I want to compromise? I am slowly getting myself on a diet that may solve some issues, but how much would I be willing to give up? What about medication. I know what my neuro is going to say, do I want to take a new medication, and then another medication... and another. No, at this point I don't want to take anything. And then I realized how content I am in my pain, as my pain is like a torn dirty but familiar blanket for a little kid. It's like it became a part of me, and it's hard for me to imagine myself without pain...

Last edited:
I'm not numb to pain in that I feel numbness, but there are some kinds of pain and discomfort that I don't seem to feel as strongly as other people.

I'm sensitive to light touch and can really feel seams and labels on my clothes against my skin, prickling, itching or digging in, or somebody touching me, but but I seem to get all sorts of bruises and scratches, and I have no idea where they came from because I can't remember ever hitting myself or bumping into anything.

New Threads

Top Bottom