• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you hyper?

I think its attention deficit hyperactivity disorder it's probably just co morbid with HFA

Not to be too contentious or too much of a contrarian, but I do think people are too quick to default to this kind of assumption. Just because a person has more nervous energy than normal and seems to rush through life doesn't necessarily indicate some kind of attention deficit at all.

While I realize everyone is their own kind of snowflake it doesn't mean everyone has to have a mental disorder or even a comorbid if there's a hint of one. It bewilders me how often people talk about having a comorbid or even a bunch of comorbids, because even though I'm certain there really are people with them (obviously having comorbids is a prominent thing amongst people on the autism spectrum and sensory processing disorder happens to be a comorbid that so many of us have it's considered synonymous with autism or even like a criteria), I tend to think it must be prohibitively rare for a person to genuinely have as many comorbids as some folks like to claim.

There's a lot more awareness than there was in the past about mental illness but people still have a long way to go so far as understanding the difference between "she's socially awkward, maybe she has Asperger's" and "oh, that's what it's like for someone who legitimately has it".

Last edited:
Not to be too contentious or too much of a contrarian, but I do think people are too quick to default to this kind of assumption. Just because a person has more nervous energy than normal and seems to rush through life doesn't necessarily indicate some kind of attention deficit at all.

While I realize everyone is their own kind of snowflake it doesn't mean everyone has to have a mental disorder or even a comorbid if there's a hint of one. It bewilders me how often people talk about having a comorbid or even a bunch of comorbids, because even though I'm certain there really are people with them (obviously having comorbids is a prominent thing amongst people on the autism spectrum and sensory processing disorder happens to be a comorbid that so many of us have it's considered synonymous with autism or even like a criteria), I tend to think it must be prohibitively rare for a person to genuinely have as many comorbids as some folks like to claim.

There's a lot more awareness than there was in the past about mental illness but people still have a long way to go so far as understanding the difference between "she's socially awkward, maybe she has Asperger's" and "oh, that's what it's like for someone who legitimately has it".
I never default to anything I research what I say ,it's you you just like to argue

On a sort of related note... has anyone with ADHD/ADHD-like symptoms tried using an activity tracker (those things you wear around your wrist)? My sister bought me one as an early birthday present this week and it's absolutely brilliant! It's designed as a heart rate and exercise tracker, so counts steps, tells me when my heart rate is too low/high, beeps at me to move when I haven't left my desk for an hour, tracks my sleeping patterns, diet, etc. But it can also be set with reminders/calender events, so I've been using it as an extra brain for all the things I usually forget to do! If you have a modern-ish smart phone then you can also link it up to that to do extra bits and pieces like read text messages (although mine is too old). I wish I'd bought one of these years ago when they first came out! I would strongly recommend it to anyone who has issues with hyper focusing and forgetting everything else. I don't think I'm ever going to take this off! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom