• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you afraid of the dark?

I can't ever remember a time when I was afraid of the dark. I am a night owl by nature and love the dark, especially being out and about in it. On foot, in a car, didn't matter. I'm somewhat older now so not out late like I used to be, but I still enjoyed the peace and relative solitude.

The problem with me is that I have no boundaries as NTs tend to have. If they are told that something is true or something is false they act like robots and say ok it must be that way. I don't care of what people say I have to create my own opinion and up to this point I think everything can change. Maybe I wake up one day and gravity won't be working who knows, we are moved by custom, which is useful but not intrinsecally the best manner of procedure.

how do you keep the boogymen at bay?o_O
If you mean supernatural ones, that's easy. I have no belief in the supernatural at all. If you mean human ones, which are certainly real enough threats, I take reasonable precautions. Though a legitimate and rational concern about the risks from the actions of human criminals is not the same thing as fear of the dark.

Because of my fertile imagination and my sensibility to the world around me, I was always a very impressionable person. For me, being in my room at late night isn't always scary, but when it is, it can be very problematic. I have a bad habit of staying awake at night, using the computer when everyone else is sleeping, and when I do it, I always have a good chance of finding something online that makes me scared.
It doesn't even have to be something scary, it could be a serious information, some bizarre imagery or even a simple overanalysis. Just to give you an idea, I used to be scared of things I had read in Cracked articles, to the point of being scared of these things even on broad daylight!
And when I'm scared, I get very paranoic. I can't stop thinking that a monster could appear anywhere in my house and I start to constatly look back and around me, light up all rooms I can see, watch out for jumpscares on computer and television screens, and generally stay alert at all times. Naturally, I have trouble going to sleep in those cases, so I stay awake for even longer, sometimes only managing to sleep at 3:00 AM or so.
And worst of all, I cannot use logical thinking to avoid being scared, simply because I can't use logic to proof to myself that a monster coudn't appear out of nowhere and attack me. My only confort is knowing that if I were really attacked by a monster, I couldn't do anyting about it besides keep myself calm and wait.

New Threads

Top Bottom