• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you a plant killer?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
I've never really had a green thumb. I grew up in a family who avoided gardening as much as they could. Not a lot of plants survived in my family and even animals got some weird diseases and died... well, maybe if my parents brought them to a vet, they would survive... anyway...
I tried to have plants. I hoped I didn't inherit my parents "curse" but somehow, every single plant I got (even cactus) died very quickly. Our backyard looks like wild woods. Trees love us though. It's like they grow legs in the middle of the night, abandon their previous locations and just move in with us. Trees grow like on steroids around our house but not gentle little flowers...
So now I got Norfolk Island Pine, 2 of them, cute little beings and one of them seems to be dying already! I printed out a nice article about the pine care. It says they don't like dry air (and our humidity is very low) so in case of dry air you need to spray them with cold water and water them thoroughly when soil is completely dry (during winter), it also says that when branches fall, the tree doesn't regrow new ones in the same spot!!! I spray and water. One that stands near air vent is still breathing, the one next to the window - loosing branches! It's still fighting for its life but I don't know how long it has. I want them to survive but, honestly, I'm not sure if it's possible. ..

How about you? How are you with plants?

After killing a lot of indoor plants, I moved on to the more forgiving cacti. I kept some of them alive for years, my favourite one would often bloom with small pink flowers. I've been considering buying new ones. Now I've got a small fir for Christmas that I'll try to keep alive in 2015.

I have a little Jade Tree that's about three inches tall now, started off as a single tiny leaf I found on the floor a few months ago. I have no idea why I picked it up or thought to look after it, but it's doing great now. Normally I don't have plants inside, preferring them in the garden where Mother Nature can tend to them.

I have a little Jade Tree that's about three inches tall now, started off as a single tiny leaf I found on the floor a few months ago. I have no idea why I picked it up or thought to look after it, but it's doing great now. Normally I don't have plants inside, preferring them in the garden where Mother Nature can tend to them.
You are a lucky guy! And maybe it picked you for some reason :) you never know...

After killing a lot of indoor plants, I moved on to the more forgiving cacti. I kept some of them alive for years, my favourite one would often bloom with small pink flowers. I've been considering buying new ones. Now I've got a small fir for Christmas that I'll try to keep alive in 2015.
Some people, I guess, just have the touch. I had 2 friends with blossoming cacti. I actually got one with a flower and some time later it turned into something that looks like old smelly pickle...

I love gardening, I can grow all kinds of things outdoors- flowers, trees, fruit, veg.... Anything inside is doomed though, I can never remember to water them. Then I water them too much and they die.

Yes...while I do love plants, and gardens, I tend to get in to the bad habit of getting too distracted with other things, that a plant will likely be neglected. I start out with good intentions :p Perhaps, if I had more of an interest in gardening, my plants would have more of a chance of surviving.

“About a month ago I got a cactus. A week later, it died. I was really depressed because I was like, 'Damn! I am less nurturing than a desert.”
― Demetri Martin (stand-up comedian)

How much research do you do on a particular plant species before starting to grow it?
None :) [emoji52] I usually get plants as gifts. I rarely buy them myself. The Norfolk seemed like pretty easy plant to take care of... so I thought... I read today that it needs about 16 hours of sunlight [emoji15] so at this point I don't know how long it'll remain alive. We don't get a lot of sunlight in our house.

How much research do you do on a particular plant species before starting to grow it?

Point taken. Here in the desert you have to do your homework to get the right plant to grow. Otherwise you're just raising a crop of weeds.

I did a test on Better Home and Gardens website to see what plants might be the most suitable for me. The result is below. .. even though I'm still hoping I can keep Norfolks alive (they are supposed to be the easy plants to take care off [emoji5] [emoji15]

" It sounds like easy-care, drought-resistant types, such as snake plant (Sansevieria), ZZ plant (Zamioculcas), and corn plant (Dracaena), are best for you. These varieties all tolerate low light well and are great picks for growing in the office under desk lights."

Sansevieria_trifasciata_Laurentii_pm_4.jpg

zz-plant-809.jpg

NEA1198-ZM-1.jpg

I killed a ginger plant that I grew from a bulb with a garlic bulb, and that attracted flies and had to be disposed of x_x Other than that I've been pretty good at accumulating healthy plants.

My only talent when it comes to plants is to kill them no matter how hard I try but to be honest I very often forget to water them or know I will forget, over-compensate and drown them essentially through over watering. So I'm as far from having green anything. Including my plants. They're all brown and crispy looking.

The last time we tried to grow a indoor plant, it turned into a stick. Now days all the indoor plants are plastic. They look good with very little maintenance, just dust them off every month or so.

I do prefer live plants over plastic. I don't mind beautifully crafted silk flowers but I look at them as at art pieces rather than plants :) my younger son likes plastic plants apparently. He chose a sunflower vine ... a new kind of plant I guess in a plastic plant kingdom :) it's hanging on top of his window curtain now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420161197891.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420161197891.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 171
I don't even bother with plants anymore. I once had a cactus and realized I was less nurturing than a desert and the cactus died out.

New Threads

Top Bottom