• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Those on the Autism Spectrum More Prone to Phobias than Others?

When it comes to phobias, I have . . .

• One or more that I strictly adhere to.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Some, but I’m flexible about them.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No phobias at all. Everything is just fine to me.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Phobias about phobias.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As far as I know, I used to have a whole toss up between being OCD and autistic, even now I'm not sure. I have a tendency to repeat actoins such as flipping light switches, focusing on every crack in the path and stepping over in the 'correct' numerical order, even words and so on I use to deal with break downs, sometimes random facts as well. I don't know, perhaps I do have OCD and not autism, then again that wouldn't explain everything like autism does... Ah, such confusion. I suppose I'll find out when I get my diagnosis now won't I? Can one have both autism and OCD?

OCD is a common concurring trait amongst people with austim. Whereas NT folks treat OCD with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) is used for people with autism. Why is OCD so Common in Children with Autism?

I love snakes (except when one startled me unexpectedly out in the woods). I love insects and spiders except not keen on those tarantulas kept in terrariums (had an experience with one the boyfriend kept next to our bed), or cockroaches (except the big Madagascar hissing ones- they are sorta very cool. I used to live right next to sewer and gigantic river rats right outside my door...they do creep me out big time. I do have a fear of heights, even climbing up on a 8 foot ladder gives my stomach butterflies bit it’s gotten better over time. I nearly drowned in 7th grade, and so I am scared in the water without protective gear on. I doubt any of thes are phobias though. Life is full of scary things, and I have been forced to deal with them.

I have a fear of stray dogs after a particularly nasty incident with them - it got so bad that I couldn't pass a stray dog on the street, and if it started to bark or run towards me, total panic. Strangely enough, pet dogs are generally ok - I even have a dog! It seems to be very specific behaviour in dogs that trigger a panic attack.

For years I've had really bad emetophobia.:mask: It's not as severe now, but in my late teens and 20's it was as if my whole world revolved around my fear of throwing up, seeing other people throw up, and having to be around people with stomach flu. It's more common than most people think, but they really don't understand it at all.:pensive:

I have a fear of stray dogs after a particularly nasty incident with them - it got so bad that I couldn't pass a stray dog on the street, and if it started to bark or run towards me, total panic. Strangely enough, pet dogs are generally ok - I even have a dog! It seems to be very specific behaviour in dogs that trigger a panic attack.

I used to be a bit like that, even though for most of the first half of my life I lived with 2 dogs at home.

Big dogs don't bother me though, it's the little ones that are a bit more scary, a friend of my Mum's used to have a Yorkshire Terrier that was possibly a bit evil... And my Dad's late sister had a Cocker that always used to bite me, because apparently when I was little I always used to tread on him because he was small and I didn't know he was there.

I see many have anxiety and panic attacks, so I would think phobias would be common.
But, maybe no more than all humans.
Dealing with the panic attacks is something I fear in itself.
The attacks take over all reason and all I can do is feel fear and the hyperventilation from feeling I can't breathe.
Guess that only proves my biggest fear is that one last final step into the unknown we call death.
Built into our primordial brains for the purpose of survival it was meant to be a strong fear.
I've worked with a lot of NDEs for research purposes and those who have experienced it say they no longer fear it. But, the ones I've talked with had out of body experiences in surgeries or while flatlined.
Had they truly died, they wouldn't be around to talk about it.

Only a few life phobias for myself: Spiders. The brown recluse has migrated from it's origins in Florida
up to visit with @Chance , as I see from his post. We do still have some here though.

Lightening. Plenty of that in Florida. Anyone who isn't afraid of 60,000 degree plasma energy that can travel for many miles to hit some random place/thing must not be afraid of anything IMO.
1,000 + strikes per hour in a thunderstorm here is not uncommon.

And I do have a phobia of flying. Crowded in with other people, experiencing turbulance and probably
a panic attack with no where to go... no thanks. Glad I don't need to use flying for business or such.

The only thing I have a genuine phobia of is roller coasters. Which fortunately can be alleviated by taking xanax.

Lightning doesn't bother me, only time it did was that time nearly 20 years ago when I was online on a 56k Modem, and a Lightning strike fried the Modem! Unfortunately AOL wouldn't do anything because apparently Lightning is classed as an "Act of God" (anyone remember that movie from a few years back where Billy Connolly tried to sue God?)

Lightning doesn't bother me, only time it did was that time nearly 20 years ago when I was online on a 56k Modem, and a Lightning strike fried the Modem! Unfortunately AOL wouldn't do anything because apparently Lightning is classed as an "Act of God" (anyone remember that movie from a few years back where Billy Connolly tried to sue God?)
Sorry, I don't remember that movie.
But, yeah, "Hey, God...hand over a couple million for my tuition to the school of hard knocks here!"
I was struck over a phone line once over 20 years ago.
Lightening can be pretty and it's something not fully understood even today.

With sound sensitive ears, I find it "shocking" in the noise department as well as the true shock of
the idea of being struck.
I know it is 60,000 degrees of plasma energy and when it hits something, that object can explode
since the fluid inside interacts with the lightening much the same as a microwave oven heats by
vibrating the water molecules in the food.
Here next to the gulf, lightening to ground strikes of 200 + per minute in an isolated thunderstorm...
well that's scary enough for me. :(
Long exposure camera photo...pretty though.
long-exposure-tree.jpg

Death, loneliness, heights, losing my pets, rejection, and no offense I'm afraid of little people, and those with Down syndrome, and those babies with their brain showing.

Edit: and those with Progeria.

I'm sorry don't hate me these are real fears.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me. I have stretches of time where my Autism symptoms are more prominent and it turns my anxiety into OCPD-type behaviors (constantly checking the door is locked or the oven is off etc)

New Threads

Top Bottom