• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Architecture for the Week

View attachment 81985
This is Schloss Wöffenbuttel: first recorded in 1074 and is the second older surviving castle in Germany

This is one of my favorites, Neuschwanstein Castle in southwest Bavaria. I could easily live there. :cool: I would like to take a tour of all the castles in Germany, get a pic of myself infront of all of them. They have over 25 000 so it would take a while. The Germans know castles.

1658244493382.png

Last edited:
This is one of my favorites, Neuschwanstein Castle in southwest Bavaria. I could easily live there. :cool: I would like to take a tour of all the castles in Germany, they have over 25 000 so it will take a while. The Germans know castles.

View attachment 81996

Wow, that is so incredibly beautiful!!! Germany is so cool. I would love to tour all the castles there too, and the mountains.
Don't worry, I'm still coming to see Norway too eventually :D

Wow, that is so incredibly beautiful!!! Germany is so cool. I would love to tour all the castles there too, and the mountains.
Don't worry, I'm still coming to see Norway too eventually :D

And how about this one, Schwerin Castle. :cool: I could easily live there too. It would be so fun to do a German castle tour.

1658246271400.png

This is one of my favorites, Neuschwanstein Castle in southwest Bavaria. I could easily live there. :cool: I would like to take a tour of all the castles in Germany, get a pic of myself infront of all of them. They have over 25 000 so it would take a while. The Germans know castles.

View attachment 81996
I didn't know we had 25 000 :eek:
Every count, knight or lord had to build himself a worthy residence.

The number sounds about right, almost every town has a castle or fortress. Some might only be a loose collection of stones these days...
Only few castles remained intact through wars and centuries.
In the Historism period nobles and investors started to restore ruins to their former glory to preserve the cultural heritage (for example Wartburg castle, only the remains of one tower were left in the 19th century)
This also included new building projects based on historical references.
Neuschwanenstein was the life project of the Bavarian king (who either commited suicide or was murdered, it remains a mystery). If he hadn't been a king he would have gone bankrupt, he even got declared legally incapable to save him (and Bavaria) from his debts.
He based Neuschwanenstein on Wartburg Castle.
So basically, we have to thank wasteful kings and historism for German fairytale castles :D

The number sounds about right, almost every town has a castle or fortress. Some might only be a loose collection of stones these days...
In the Historism period nobles and investors started to restore ruins to their former glory to preserve the cultural heritage (for example Wartburg castle, only the remains of one tower were left in the 19th century)
Neuschwanenstein was the life project of the Bavarian king (who either commited suicide or was murdered, it remains a mystery). If he hadn't been a king he would have gone bankrupt, he even got declared legally incapable to save him (and Bavaria) from his debts.
So basically, we have to thank wasteful kings and historism for German fairytale castles :D

Another one where I could easily live, the Burg Eltz castle. :cool:
We should all thank Germany for the wonderful castles.

1658252220422.png

1658252244819.png

We know a thing or two about German nobility here, the reigning royal House of Norway is a branch of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg branch of the House of Oldenburg, founded in 1101, originally from Schleswig-Holstein in Germany. Such fancy names. :) It's oozing royalty. It's also the same royal house as the Danish royal family.

Last edited:
We know a thing or two about German nobility here, the reigning royal House of Norway is a branch of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg branch of the House of Oldenburg, originally from Schleswig-Holstein in Germany. Such fancy names. :) It's oozing royalty. It's also the same royal house as the Danish royal family.
All of European nobility is related by blood :eek:

Brutalism at its ugliest. City Hall, Boston, MA, USA
1658255752318.jpeg

As compared to the much older beauties in the area:

1658255806568.jpeg

Trinity Church, Boston

1658256032585.jpeg

Firehouse, downtown Boston

1658256069871.jpeg

North End, Boston

One of my favorite places, Kistefos Museum & Sculpture Park. The museum building itself is a piece of art called The Twist. It's a bridge, a museum and a sculpture. Special architecture.

1658267393241.png

1658267315236.png

1658267243733.png

bridge.jpg

1658267553297.png

Last edited:
Here's some architecture that stands out for the wrong reasons. Imagine you are sailing up the Oslo fjord and then you are met by this sight. It's called "the Barcode", someone built those hideous things not long ago and said "yeah that looks nice". Nothing about it makes sense. Two and a half million square feet of ugly. Modern architecture... it leaves much to be desired.

View attachment 81986
4834A70B-53CC-4B58-8C03-DC0A2B271A55.jpeg

Try to guess what this is for

New Threads

Top Bottom