• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone knows books like this?

The Phantom

I really want to read a fantasy set in the medieval times, with the classic taverns, defeating goblins, paying for potions with gold, and all that. Like RuneScape in books form hahaha. Preferably something a tad less popular, not because I'm a hipster lol but because I already know some famous books like this and they don't really appear to me, so I might find something I like that isn't as well-known (It usually works anyway0=). It doesn't have to be super unknown, but just a little less mainstream, just to be able to open up options.

That being said, if any of you are friends of The Last Apprentice (AKA the Wardstone Chronicles) and know any books similar to that series, let me know immediately, they are one of my favorite books ever.
On the younger side of the fantasy spectrum, there was this book I read in 4th grade called the Familiars about these wizard familiars that go on quests, and in retrospect they are probably not that amazingly-written or appealing to someone older but if you know anythign similar to them please tell me lol.

Thanks!

You could try reading the Arthur Trilogy (it starts with The Seeing Stone). It's not fantasy with fantastical creatures as such, but it is set during the medieval period and is a slightly different fantastical take on the traditional story of Kind Arthur and Merlin.

You might like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Also, try the author Raymond E. Feist - "Magician" would be a good place to start.

Progster I've read 'Magician', thought it was great.. I seem to recall it's a trilogy? Big, thick books you can get into!

How about Robin Hobb - several trilogies, all tomes, the 'Fitz and The Fool' series is three linked trilogies..

If you can get your hands on them try Larry Niven's Ringworld series, or Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series, much more scientific fiction but also fantasy. There is of course the great one, John Wyndham and you might like any of his books. They are not medieval fantasy but are quite enjoyable.

QUOTE="Angel123, post: 250650, member: 12281"]You could try reading the Arthur Trilogy (it starts with The Seeing Stone). It's not fantasy with fantastical creatures as such, but it is set during the medieval period and is a slightly different fantastical take on the traditional story of Kind Arthur and Merlin.[ QUOTE]

I LOVE the story of King Arthur! I've watched the whole 5 series of the TV show merlin, there are a lot of inaccuracies to the time period and the ledgend but I still love it hahah. Thanks for the recommendation!

You might like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Also, try the author Raymond E. Feist - "Magician" would be a good place to start.

Oh yeah, I've heard of wheel of time, I've been wanting to check it out for while. It seems good, thanks for reminding me :) Also, I will check out magician and Raymond E. Feist.

Progster I've read 'Magician', thought it was great.. I seem to recall it's a trilogy? Big, thick books you can get into!

How about Robin Hobb - several trilogies, all tomes, the 'Fitz and The Fool' series is three linked trilogies..

Haha I love big books, it keeps me occupied (although that can be a problem as well, haha). Well it seems two fo you like it, so it's probably worth trying out.
The other series also seem quite good, thanks for your recommendation!

If you can get your hands on them try Larry Niven's Ringworld series, or Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series, much more scientific fiction but also fantasy. There is of course the great one, John Wyndham and you might like any of his books. They are not medieval fantasy but are quite enjoyable.

Those seem really good! I don't read to much sci-fi, but I still like it and have been trying to read it more, so the genre isn't a problem. And I'll check out John Wyndham, I'm not scrictly medieval fantasy, I like any good book, so I'll take a look, thanks!

Thanks for the links! Those are really helpful :)

We don't have ruinscape yet but it's on the todo list. We are making a website recommend books based on tv shows, movies and video games. Perhaps you might find something else of interest here similarbooks.to
It's slow progress adding content but let me know if there is anything you wanted added!

New Threads

Top Bottom