• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone interested in survival?

15 minutes really isn't a bad time at all there's really not that much involved it's just a matter knowing what to do and how to do it. I'm begaining we may all ready be there too. People to often forget how unpredictable life can be.

That's not a bad time to bug out. I can only imagine what's involved, especially with the risk of having things flying around inside the trailer.

It's interesting, because in my 56 years I never thought I'd be seriously contemplating such things. I worked with a fellow back in the mid 80's that was a survivalist; he always thought the Russians were going to drop in like in "Red Dawn." I never did, but humored him. Something made me think that the US was going to implode one day and end up like the Roman Empire. I am starting to think we may be there.

I'd be able to survive for awhile if there was a disaster. Have lots of food stores and water, yet the biggest problem would be surviving the cold if infrastructure breaks down. Not having electric or gas or oil means using wood, and I do have a wood stove I could cook and heat with, and light with lanterns. But were talking about cold five months of the year. I'd have to head south to survive, or north to BC and the coast. That would not be a road trip I would want to take, and on foot I'd have to start in the spring to make it, suppose I could pick up a horse somewhere. The roads would be a mess, and getting fuel would likely be a problem. So no real long term plans, only short term ones.

It's not necessarily just survival item. Although I would probably recommend having a multitool somewhere close at hand. I think I've mentioned it before in another thread. I find having a multitool near by to be indispisible.

QUOTE="Sportster, post: 331868, member: 1842"]Besides discussing survival issues, it might be nice if we could post survival gear to consider. I saw a really neat hand-crank radio on Amazon that I plan to add to my kit. It does several handy things including charging a cell phone. Here's the Amazon link if anyone is interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Epica-Emergency-Digital-Flashlight-Certified/dp/B00CZDT30S[/QUOTE]

A hand pump water purifier, use it for camping and trekking, it would be invaluable in the event of a societal breakdown.

5012998-NOC02.jpg

Description

Show Description

This two-stage ceramic disc and glass-fibre microfilter has an adjustable output for different conditions. A simple turn engages the cleanable ceramic prefilter, for use with dirty water for a longer cartridge life. The high-surface area 0.3micron glass-fibre filter removes bacteria and cysts and the replaceable carbon core improves taste and reduces pesticides and chemicals in the water.

• Filters up to 2L per minutes in fast-flow mode and up to 1L per minute in long-life mode.
  • Cartridge pumps up to 1875L, depending on water quality.
  • Dual-piston pump provides maximum output for minimum effort.
  • Adaptor base allows the filter to directly attach to water bottles and the output hose (included) connects directly to hydration systems and other large containers.
  • Includes: a pre-filter on the intake hose, a cleaning pad for the ceramic disc, and o-ring lubricant.

What brand multitool do you carry now? I've found leatherman To be the Highest quality tools out there.

I couldn't agree more. I have one in my belt pouch at work that I probably use more than anything. I had a Leatherman for years that I finally wore out, so I replaced it with another brand that works just as well . . . and was a lot cheaper.

That's pretty neat!!! Is that something made by Victorinox, as I noticed the Swiss Army Knife logo on it? Also, about how much does it cost?[/QUOTE]

What brand multitool do you carry now? I've found leatherman To be the Highest quality tools out there.

I couldn't agree more. I have one in my belt pouch at work that I probably use more than anything. I had a Leatherman for years that I finally wore out, so I replaced it with another brand that works just as well . . . and was a lot cheaper.

That's pretty neat!!! Is that something made by Victorinox, as I noticed the Swiss Army Knife logo on it? Also, about how much does it cost?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty neat!!! Is that something made by Victorinox, as I noticed the Swiss Army Knife logo on it? Also, about how much does it cost?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5012-998/Vario-Microfilter

Seems to be made in swizerland, its $120.00 cdn., when I bought mine twenty years ago it was about $60.00 cdn. If I were to buy one now I'd probably go with one made by Platypus gravity systems: as it's lighter and takes up less room in a pack, and it purifies quite a bit faster that the Vario.

230148_2433_M.jpg

Platypus GravityWorks
Price: $120 USD List

I always carry my old Super Leatherman and there are very few days that I do not use it at least once. I have been carrying it so long that I feel naked without it. I have replaced the holster several times. The snap wears out and the Leatherman can fall when you are putting on you belt in the morning. I only had to drop it on my big toe once to convince me to replace the holster when the snap wears out.

Interesting I didn't know shrade made multitools.

Of The two leathermans one is a 'Wave' and the other is 'Super Tool 300'. They are basically two different models of multitools made by the same company.

I've had the have 'Wave' longer I've had it about 3 1/2 years. It was the multitool I used as a boyscout.

The second one the 'Super Tool 300' was my uncle that he gave to me as he already as a collection of Them. I will say that the ergonomics have improved greatly in new leatherman's. I recall using the original model one time and remembering how it really dug into my hand. Now granted I was using it for something Way more than Tim leathermans probably intended for, but it got the job done.

I believe you said something that the tool it's self is over 25 years old. Is that right? If that's the case than it's older than me possibly by about a decade.

Perhaps you should tell your wife that's it's time for an upgrade. That way you can get a new that still has the warranty. o_O;)

How would you're wife feel about that?

You would be about 95 or 96 when the warranty on the new tool expires.
I've also dropped my leatherman on my toe. Man I've been there and done that. :mad::p:D

I always carry my old Super Leatherman and there are very few days that I do not use it at least once. I have been carrying it so long that I feel naked without it. I have replaced the holster several times. The snap wears out and the Leatherman can fall when you are putting on you belt in the morning. I only had to drop it on my big toe once to convince me to replace the holster when the snap wears out.

I believe you said something that the tool it's self is over 25 years old. Is that right? If that's the case than it's older than me possibly by about a decade.

Perhaps you should tell your wife that's it's time for an upgrade. That way you can get a new that still has the warranty. o_O;)

How would you're wife feel about that?

You would be about 95 or 96 when the warranty on the new tool expires.
I've also dropped my leatherman on my toe. Man I've been there and done that. :mad::p:D

No, I couldn't do that, it would be like losing a old friend. I like this one and will be keeping it. I do not remember exactly how long I have had it, but it has been at least 25 years old. I do not just use it at work, I use it at home a lot too. If I am going to try to talk my wife into letting me buy something, it would be another gun. She seems to think that I have enough guns. Go figure.

Oh but you can never have too many guns. Although I can see you're wife thinking might think you have enough guns. :rolleyes:

Edit. I'm being sarcastic everybody.

No, I couldn't do that, it would be like losing a old friend. I like this one and will be keeping it. I do not remember exactly how long I have had it, but it has been at least 25 years old. I do not just use it at work, I use it at home a lot too. If I am going to try to talk my wife into letting me buy something, it would be another gun. She seems to think that I have enough guns. Go figure.

Last edited:
Unless they are 'grandfathered' you can't even buy a handgun with a barrel shorter than about five inches, if you cut a rifle down to less than eighteen inches it's a prohibited weapon. It's the same with knives, a bowie knife is fine, even a machete, but as soon as its concealable or easy to access like a switchblade it's prohibited.

Last edited:
In Texas you need a permit to carry a hand gun. That's it. You can buy firearms once you are of of age 18 or older, same with ammunition. I own 5 firearms 4 of witch came from my granddad the other one was my dads.

What's is the Canada's stance on firearm legislation? Do you know?

It took a total of five years for my husband to get 'permission' to actually buy a handgun. Unless they are 'grandfathered' you can't even buy a handgun with a barrel shorter than about five inches, if you cut a rifle down to less than eighteen inches it's a prohibited weapon. It's the same with knives, a bowie knife is fine, even a machete, but as soon as its concealable or easy to access like a switchblade it's prohibited.

I alternate between my Leatherman Wave and Leatherman OHT. I'm totally sold on Leatherman. I actually made an effort to like the Gerbers since everyone raves about them but I always wind up putting them in my knife collection and going back to the Leatherman. I even have the MUT for when I go shooting, everything you need for an AR.

Oh but you can never have too many guns. Although I can see you're wife thinking might think you have enough guns. :rolleyes:

Edit. I'm being sarcastic everybody.
My wife is cool about the guns, her dad was a gun guy and she understands that I need to have a wide range of shooting experiences.

It took a total of five years for my husband to get 'permission' to actually buy a handgun. Unless they are 'grandfathered' you can't even buy a handgun with a barrel shorter than about five inches, if you cut a rifle down to less than eighteen inches it's a prohibited weapon. It's the same with knives, a bowie knife is fine, even a machete, but as soon as its concealable or easy to access like a switchblade it's prohibited.
They actually made switchblades legal here in Nevada recently! Not that I would carry one, with modern assisted knives, switchblades are really not necessary.

She sound like a great wife.

The only real difference between a switch blade and assistanced opening pocket knife is the way the blade opens from the handle. A switch blade shoots forward from the handle where as a assistanced opening knife opens like a regular knife. In Texas switchblades were made legal a few years ago.

My pocket I carry is made by the BenchMade knife company, it is a 940 Osbourne. It opens as easily and as quickly as any switchblade. It's a wonderful knife, it's like my pocket sword.

My wife is cool about the guns, her dad was a gun guy and she understands that I need to have a wide range of shooting experiences.

New Threads

Top Bottom