• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else think this way?

Wooaspie

Richard Dawkins wrote about ESS in his book the Selfish Gene. ESS stands for Evolutionary Stable Strategy. To put simply means our DNA will evolve the best way to survival. I feel aspergers separates me from the material and false realities of life. So if the world is a result now of the minds of the past which created views politics, attachments, religions and etc.Has our DNA created a ESS in those with Aspergers and Autism. By not having to experience severe emotion and attachment to the external world I neither join nor support any group, or point of view that I feel I need to stand by and fight for, not to mention having expectations for others to do so. So in theory could DNA find a way to change our neurology in aspergers and autistics to stear us in a more peaceful, live and let live future? This would be the effect from the cause of living in a world that does not seem so live and let live. So what I'm also saying here is that Aspergers And Autism is an amazing gift. I'm not looking to impose any opinion or viewpoints, this is my thoughts written down because I'm curious if anyone else thinks like this.

I do highly agree that AS is a blessing which i am glad i have. I do think similarly like you and do agree with most of what you said especially the part about the groups.

Last edited:
My answer is no. I used to have a vague perspective on ASDs that was similar to what you have indicated in your post: generally, that it conferred less emotional volatility and greater individuality and intellectual independence.

Then I began to participate on ASD-specific forums. I was surprised at how sensitive some people were, how desperate some were to be accepted, to fit in, how focused and committed they were to conforming, even at (what I considered to be) moderately high personal costs, how others stubbornly clung to ideologies and received wisdom just as their NT peers did.

I finally came to understand that it was more realistic to view emotional sensitivity and individuality as personality traits than neurological traits. Autism does not determine one's personality; it manifests despite personality, and may give personality a unique flavor, at most.

You obviously haven't met some of the aspies I know, some can be very "it's my way or the highway" and think that everyone who doesn't conform to the way that they see things is stupid.

I would also add that bearing in mind that Dawkins speciality is research on genes then he's probably arguing that an evolutionary advantage in a creature is its ability to pass its genes on to the next generation. Bearing in mind that a great deal of us on the spectrum have trouble making friends let alone finding a mate, then we are not at an evolutionary advantage to pass our genes on to the next generation.

The idea of evolution as a vehicle guiding us toward perfection is not Darwinian, it was an idea of one of his contemporaries who's name I forget, and Darwin in time rejected the idea.

To quote Dawkins "In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference." There doesn't seem to be much in his worldview about evolution making way for a peaceful world. He seems to think that it will forever be a dog eat dog fight to pass on genes to the next generation.

Perhaps mutated would be a better description of autistic brain cells as opposed to saying evolved.The replication of both DNA and RNA strands can be interrupted by either internal or external chemical influences and produce a mutation that can come from the seed cell level of the parent's combined DNA to begin life or further up in the hierarchy when cells must be formed to handle more specific tasks such as brain cells...

Ehhhh, I don't think we're the next step in human evolution, no. I read a pretty interesting article once suggesting that high functioning autistic people possibly served an important place among ancient peoples. They were smart, observant, perhaps inventive, content with being alone for long periods of time, and thus would have made near perfect scouts and hunters. If anything, I think we are a complimentary or supportive part of humanity. Kind of like the highly social people. When conducting negotiations with a grumpy enemy, you want somebody bubbly that can present things delicately instead of a blunt, broody Aspie. We each have our roles.

New Threads

Top Bottom