• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody else have this habit? Autism or something else?

The Phantom

Hey everyone,

It's been a while, so I don't expect everyone who views this to know me (not that I'm a famous member to begin with :p ), but those who do and my friends on here may know that I am neither professionally or self diagnosed, although I've been posting on here since I was in 7th grade, which is when I first started to realize the high possibility of my being on the spectrum and how much it made sense and explained a lot of my behaviors. However, due to my family history of other disorders, I'm often not sure of what can be attribute to said disorders (such as OCD) as opposed to autism. So of course I must come here to ask.

I believe I've been doing this for a while but it's starting to get a bit out of hand. It's relatively harmless in theory but like any habit it can get a bit out of control and cause other issues. I already tend to screenshot things a lot on my phone or computer to, but I do it especially when it comes to things such as views on a youtube video, or likes (either on a comment, or on twitter or tumblr or any social media that has an upvote/note feature), usually related to celebrities I like or something of the sort so they're naturally a bit more popular. I tend to like to screenshot things in general if I like them, but especially those that are at a low count (or either likes or views) even more so ones I know the count will start to go up. And once something starts to go up in likes I get a strange feeling, not quite 'upset' but disappointed I suppose. But if I don't manage to get screenshots I start getting a lot more upset and it's usually not very visible on my face (as are most things I guess :rolleyes:) but intenrally it starts to consume my mind a lot even though I know very well it's very inconsequential stuff. And even though I forget about said stuff in a day or two/a few (although sometimes I'll think about it again later on) it still bothers me each time. And it's hard to explain but this can be applied to other similar things online, maybe I'll elaborate more if I find a way to express it properly.

Anyways, my question is if anyone else on here experiences anything similar and if they think it has something to do with autism? Or if it's just perhaps something else like OCD or anxiety or maybe another disorder I don't know about that I could possibly have. Please let me know!

- The Phantom

It sounds like you're concerned about change and control.

You like to screenshot things with a low number of ratings.
And you feel disappointed when they go up, even though you have
anticipated that change. It looks like the negative feeling would be
related to the inability to prevent/control the change.

I think it sounds like it could fit either or both. The screen shots could be an autistic special interest while the change in numbers could be an OCD thing and being bothered by the changes could fit in both categories. I know OCD is very bothered with small changes - like if someone placed the book on the shelf wrong, which is more visible like the numbers themselves. With autism, you tend to get upset more over the change in event - like perhaps not wanting more and more people to view the video. And often there are multiple diagnosis' - many people on the spectrum also have OCD along with other things. It would take a professional to answer your question with certainty.

I would probably be more bothered if it remained a low number, especially if I thought the video was well worth viewing.
Sounds like it could fit under multiple categories. The screen shots may have become a special interest and have to do something with patterns - not sure. The change in number could have to do with OCD. OCD is bothered by physical changes I think - like someone not setting the book back on the shelf exactly right, so it could be the change in the number itself. While as Autism, more of a change of routine or like more views. So it possibly could depend on the reason the change of numbers are upsetting. Also Autism usually has other diagnosis' that are co-morbid - many on here struggle with autism AND ocd.
I think your question can really only be answered by a professional with any certainty.

New Threads

Top Bottom