• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fallow German Americans who share this opinion?

AspiePie

I just read a page claiming American slavery wasn't that bad? As a German I often wonder how Americans believe we Germans are so bad when we just argue for a low number if we have balls at all.. The fact is Germans would never argue no one suffered in the Holocaust. Even Germans who argue there was no mass killing effort do not argue that Jews had it easy (except Nutjobs who the Government pays to keep tabs on real resistance). As one of those Germans who had that opinion at one point and could have been jailed on his trips to Germany if the German Government had found out I wonder why Americans don't treat their Genocides the way we do? We make sure our children know we did wrong.. Why haven't Americans done the same?

I'm not German American but considering I'm Dutch i live close enough to Germany ;)

In my opinion this is a perfect example where history is written by the victors. Nobody really complains about the mass murdering of the USSR regime in the same time just because they are the side that won the war.

Also part of it will probably be the fact that there are still people that remember and have lived through ww2. Not many living Americans have fought with Indians, to state it bluntly.

I'm not German American but considering I'm Dutch i live close enough to Germany ;)

In my opinion this is a perfect example where history is written by the victors. Nobody really complains about the mass murdering of the USSR regime in the same time just because they are the side that won the war.

Also part of it will probably be the fact that there are still people that remember and have lived through ww2. Not many living Americans have fought with Indians, to state it bluntly.
Yeah.. Maybe in 20 years after all the Holocaust Survivors and original Nazis are dead Germany might start saying the Holocaust wasn't that bad?

Yeah.. Maybe in 20 years after all the Holocaust Survivors and original Nazis are dead Germany might start saying the Holocaust wasn't that bad?
It will slowly be "forgotten" just how bad it was, but at that point the Germans will still be perceived as the bad guys because they lost the war.

The Americans are the victors and basically the good guys so everything they did to the native residents will be viewed as a necessary evil in a different time.

Taking ww2 as an example still, all the horrible things the USSR did are considered necessary losses because they did it to stop the evil Germans from being evil. The fact that they were more cruel to their soldiers as the Germans were to their prisoners will be forgotten because the USSR helped win the war.

If Germany had won the war, we would read completely different stories about the same battles.
Going back to America, if the Indians had been successful at kicking the Americans off of their land and killing a more substantial number of them, they would probably have been viewed as a violent and inhospitable race. If I'm making any sense here.

In war there usually isn't a good and a bad side for the people looking at it from the sidelines. It will always be mixed, both sides are right and wrong. Only after the battle has been fought the victor will crown himself as the good side.

New Threads

Top Bottom