• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I the bad guy here?

In my experience, the difference between headphones and noise canceling headphones is like the difference between hiking with a first aid kit and hiking with a doctor who is carrying a first aid kit. No comparison. Regular headphones muffle some noise but mostly just drown it out. Noise canceling headphones create a blissful bubble of peace and serenity, salving the heart and soul. Who needs music? Silence is golden.

In my experience, the difference between headphones and noise canceling headphones is like the difference between hiking with a first aid kit and hiking with a doctor who is carrying a first aid kit. No comparison. Regular headphones muffle some noise but mostly just drown it out. Noise canceling headphones create a blissful bubble of peace and serenity, salving the heart and soul. Who needs music? Silence is golden.
You’re absolutely correct! But if there’s no doctor,…. wouldn’t it be better to have a first aid kit than nothing?

Having paid rent for rooms many times over many years, I would argue that it does not. She has a limited right to privacy in her room for her and for her belongings. Access to common areas has to be negotiated. Many landlords do not allow renters into the rest of the house except for commuting to and from an external door and the use of one bathroom. None of the people I rented from would ever have accepted that I had any say over what happens in the house outside my room, and I'd have only minimal say about what happens inside it. If they allowed me into a common area (kitchen, TV room, back yard), it was entirely theirs, and I adjusted to their lifestyle.

If she has a say in the house, it entirely depends on her relationship with her parents. This relationship seems rocky, which takes most of that "say" away. Maybe she can open lines of communication with her father about her needs. He may or may not be receptive. Paying rent has nothing to do with it.

You never complained about a neighbor's noise? I have and was listened to, because it was inappropriately loud. That has been my experience paying rent for rooms many times over many years.

Why are you bolding certain points, especially when some concern only your experience and do not contradict what I've said in this thread?

New Threads

Top Bottom