• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I stupid to think I have ASD?

Hi, so I know you guys can't diagnose me and I guess I'm just trying to work out if I'm completely off track or not. I think I would be considered to have ASD but I keep doubting myself and feel too stupid to talk to anyone about it. I have a 3000-word document (a categorised table of things about me), so I'll try to summarise the main things that make me think I'm on the spectrum:
- I like routine and predictability. E.g. I have the same salad every Tuesday and the same takeaway every Friday.
- I get very stressed about food routine and planning food.
- Doing anything out of routine causes stress even if I want to do it
- I often don't see the big picture, I am very rigid sometimes and I think in boxes
- I often don't generalise things / apply things I've been told to a different situation
- I've always had obsessions e.g. book characters, movie characters, accents
- I used to memorise movies and re-watch/read scenes over and over
- I'm a perfectionist
- Apparently, I don't show things on my face
- Sometimes I don't know if people are being serious or joking
- I am anxious about having to respond to my partner's emotional and physical needs
- I like to talk about my interests, and often try to remind myself in conversations to ask the other person something
- If someone tells me something serious or sad I have an internal dialogue about making sure my face looks right for the topic and I don't accidentally smile
- I do a lot of things like rocking, biting my hands, closing my eyes, vocalising and hitting my head if I get really upset and stressed (I never let people see the worst of this though)

There are more things but this is enough rambling...

I guess the reasons I think I don't have ASD is because:
1. is it just anxiety? Or maybe it's who I am?
2. I'm social and like talking to people, I'm socially pretty appropriate I think
3. People wouldn't really notice aside from maybe I'm a bit uptight.
4. Surely I just couldn't??

I'd love to hear if anyone has been diagnosed with similar things to what I have described.
Thank you for reading, please be kind to me, I can't take any criticism!!
Youd have the label High functioning you're in the I'm not autistic stage it wears off slowly .

"My IQ is 140",...what that really means is that it may be 160 in one area, 120 in another, 100 in yet another, and so on,...it's the average of all these scores. This is, in part, why someone can be absolutely brilliant in one area, yet can't seem to be able to tie their shoes, or drive. For me,...it is vitally important to know where my strengths and weaknesses lie as compared to the "norm". In some specific areas, I could pass as neurotypical, as everything fell within the normal range,...in others,...extremely autistic. For me,...it's not THAT I am autistic, it is HOW I am autistic. Personally, I thought I did poorly in areas that I was actually strong in, and vice-versa. Also, keep in mind that you should be off any supplements, nootropics, and medications that might adversely influence the results and diagnosis. Be at your worst.
We are all unique. It is not just neurodiverses and neurotypicals. And this is just talking about our brain. In other levels of our existence there are also other diverses and typicals and their betweens.
I agree it is important to know where we are what. This is part of our process of self knowledge.
Maybe the first step is going after making it official, when professionals of the area agree you are diverse. It helps us to accept. I am going after this confirmation.

According to description this could be autism. A score of 35 also indicates autism, but you can never be sure. You didn't write do you struggle with making and keeping friends, if yes, then it is likely ASD, if not, then maybe isn't ASD. It could be anxiety, but also anxiety and ASD can come together.

According to description this could be autism. A score of 35 also indicates autism, but you can never be sure. You didn't write do you struggle with making and keeping friends, if yes, then it is likely ASD, if not, then maybe isn't ASD. It could be anxiety, but also anxiety and ASD can come together.
I'm a bit confused about the friend thing. I never thought it was a huge problem and it still isn't. But I was always the kid that got picked on and doesn't have friends. It took me years at school to have a group of friends and even then I felt kind of on the outside. I work best with a close friend or two. I don't have trouble keeping them as long as we have something consistent we do together. I know lots of people. I know other parents I see at the park. I call them friends and they are but not close. So overall guess I'm fairly average socially. I think I come across pretty ’normal’ with the exception of just being a little odd sometimes or being keen on my own topics.

I'm a bit confused about the friend thing. I never thought it was a huge problem and it still isn't. But I was always the kid that got picked on and doesn't have friends. It took me years at school to have a group of friends and even then I felt kind of on the outside. I work best with a close friend or two. I don't have trouble keeping them as long as we have something consistent we do together. I know lots of people. I know other parents I see at the park. I call them friends and they are but not close. So overall guess I'm fairly average socially. I think I come across pretty ’normal’ with the exception of just being a little odd sometimes or being keen on my own topics.
According to this you can have Asperger's but it isn't sure. You just described me in friendships as a child. Firstly, friendless kid that everybody pick on. Later found some friends, but still feeling out.

New Threads

Top Bottom