• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

romacox

I am tutoring a child in reading. He goes to public school, but I tutor him at home (the county provides this service for free to the family) His mother has diagnosed him as having Aspergers Syndrome (not officially diagnosed).

• When I played a board game asking him to read to me at various stages of the game, he read and comprehended above grade level (grade 1). When I told his mother, she seemed surprised, and said she was told he could not read well at all.
  • He was very loving. ..liked kissing me on the cheek and hugging a lot.
  • He was able to read only with the board game. We did this only an hour. Then he went under the table, and finally left the room.
  • When I called him back, he returned asking me if I wanted to see his under wear. When I said no, and looked away he stopped
  • He then started to place his hands in an inappropriate place on my chest. I removed them (but I did not say anything), and he stopped.
  • We took several breaks which normally works with ADD children (coloring, going for a walk in the yard, talking, ext), but none of that worked with this young man.
  • I returned to the board game and reading. He was able to read in this manner for a few more minutes. But I felt I was pushing him too hard in trying to meed the County requirements fo 1.5 hours of tutoring.

I have so little experience with Aspergers, and am not sure of what specific questions I should ask you. Please give me any information or advice you think will help me to help this child. He seems to be much brighter than most people think, but does definately have some challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom