• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice Please

romacox

I am helping a child learn to read, and his mother has diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome (not officially diagnosed). Here is what I have observed so far, and I need to know if you think the mother's diagnoses is correct, and please give me any advice that will help me to help this child.
  • He is very loving...likes to kiss me on the cheek and hug a lot.
  • I was told that he could not read at grade level (grade 1). However when I played a board game, and asked him to read to me (and answer questions about what he read) at specific points in the game, he read and comprehended above grade level. When I told his mother about it, she said she was told he could not read well...she seemed surprised.
  • He can only work about an hour at a time, and then becomes distracted, and unwilling to continue. Sometimes going under the table, or leaving the room. I tried to take several breaks (let him color/ walk around the yard together). These things work with several of my children, but not with this child.
  • Social skills are different than what I am use to. He once tried to put his hands on me in an inappropriate place on my chest.
  • Once he left the room, and when he returned (I called him back), he asked me if I wanted to see his under garments. When I said no he did stop, and returned to his seat. We repeated reading using the board game, but that is all I could get him to do.
  • The only thing that seem to work is playing a board game as he read. What are other things do you think would work?

Any advice or information you can give me would be most helpful. I have so little experience with Aspergers that I am unsure of what questions I should be asking you.

P.S. He goes to a public school, but I tutor him at home (The County provides this service free for the family)

I know OP was only here one day.
Posted this. Hasn't been back since.

The content interests me, though.

If the 6 year old child was "only" able
to work for about an hour at a time,
he was remarkably focused for his
age.
http://day2dayparenting.com/qa-normal-attention-span/

I have taught children his age and
I think if board games were what motivated him,
that's what I'd use, branching out somewhat
with topics that are in the board game.