• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

advice needed

Ruby_Aspergic

So, I am a college student and have recently been accepted to a prestigious internship program that involves traveling to the nation's capital with 20 other students to live and intern for four months. I am really going to be miserable beyond belief if I can't have my own bedroom in my apartment. I can handle roommates but I need a quiet, controlled space to retreat to. The program head said she was sure they could accommodate any disabilities I may have, but I suspect she didn't know exactly what she was saying because I have not yet disclosed that I have autism. How do you suppose I should handle this? I would guess just being truthful and explaining why I need it would work best, but I don't know how to explain it to her without thinking I am incapable of working with people and therefore unworthy of the internship, or without her thinking I am just being difficult and unwilling to cooperate with roommates. It is just too damned exhausting to "fake it" 24 hours a day, and I make my roommates nuts with my strange-ish behavior.

And for what it is worth, I have a roommate now and have since September. I really did try this arrangement before writing it off. I feel like if I just had one room to myself it would be okay, but we are both making each other miserable to the breaking point sharing a bedroom. This just isn't something I can do again. The school is giving me a single room next year as an accommodation, but when I leave for this internship I will need to make a new arrangement.

(cross posted with AFF)

Just tell them more or less what you just wrote. Say that you have Autism and although you are capable working with people, you really need a quiet place that you can retreat to when things get too much. As for sharing a room, it's probably going to be hell to begin with. They will probably think your weird, but make sure you get the opportunity to show them that your not stupid! All of the friends I have are people who have been forced to get to know me.

Just tell them more or less what you just wrote. Say that you have Autism and although you are capable working with people, you really need a quiet place that you can retreat to when things get too much. As for sharing a room, it's probably going to be hell to begin with. They will probably think your weird, but make sure you get the opportunity to show them that your not stupid! All of the friends I have are people who have been forced to get to know me.

I would give exactly same advice. Be honest and tell what kind of problems you have. If the roommate you are gonna have is a nice person she will, or at least tries to, understand you. I used to have same problem. I always wanted to have one room only for myself. But of course I did`t sometimes get one and I was have to share it with a roommate. It might be a little bit awkward at first but if she is a nice person enough, you guys might become great friends. Try to think positively! If you think that "I`m so gonna be miserable and stressed now because of this". Well, guess what? You will.

New Threads

Top Bottom