• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Adults diagnosed w/ autism over 50 believed they were bad people

This is me. I grew up internalizing my communication and relationship difficulties believing I'm broken. It's still a difficult belief to overcome. I still mourn my lack of deep friendships and blame myself for it. I have always felt like "the other" and never part of any group. It's really traumatizing after awhile.
Strange that society makes different people feel unwanted because they are ‘broken’ when everyone is broken to a greater or lesser degree, especially today in this narcissistic and neurotic society.

I am 61, and am going through this discovery process now. I am currently being treated for anxiety, depression, and chronic insomnia. I am meeting with a psychiatrist in two weeks. Growing up, I was told by my third grade teacher that I was no good, and was put in with a slow learning group of kids who were labeled "yellow birds". At the same time a group of so called "red birds" represented the smart kids. Later my IQ was tested, and was found to have very high intelligence. My entire childhood and adolescence was spent in isolation, and I was driven to overcome and get out of this bad situation.

I can't say this research study accounts for the experiences of all middle aged people diagnosed, but I can relate to their conclusions. I plan to read this article when I have more time.

Last edited:
I found out just a few yrs ago that I have autism.Whit all my family passed that sure answer's some of the problem but have no one to ask about them.

New Threads

Top Bottom