• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

acting or scriptwriting

illud

Firstly, sorry if that thread happens to be in the wrong section.

Now, to the point.
I'm taking a year off studies -it's stressing me and is not matching my expectations-, and I'm considering to improve other skills or try other areas of interests that would be more related to writing since I'm using that year off studies to focus more on my writing and publish. (I've mentioned I'm also giving vlogging a try, to help me be less shy and be more communicative).

I've taken some creative writing courses those last years, and I've learnt a lot, mostly it got me positive feedback and motivated me to keep writing, still scriptwriting is different than just prose, so I'd like to improve that. The idea is to re-write some old stories of mine into scriptwriting short stories/plays to be filmed at some point, I mostly probably would stay as just the scriptwriter and not direct, as far as I'd go would be, just to be the producer. But I'd enjoy getting involved in that experience and spend time with fellow creative people that are also beginners in that field.

Then there's the aspect of acting, one could think. "So why not give it a try?"
I had two brief acting experiences, one in school and it was just for fun, I was one of the not so important roles, but it was funny, the group bonded a lot. The other time I was in high school and again I was one of the small roles, and it was fun. I found that one more creative, because we adapted parts to more common terms, added other popular references and so on, it was a better ambience, but I gave up acting back then to improve my knowledge of languages. I would try acting to try to understand other people's feelings better and learn to express my emotions better.

So, which one do you think might be better for an aspie writer? try scriptwriting or acting?
The idea would be to take a course for one -or both- to help me improve my writing in certain aspects, but also there's a will to get an useful personal experience to improve my social skills.
Would be better to try something else also related to writing? if so, what do you suggest?

I've heard that writing for a TV or movie is not quite like writing a story for a journal or magazine. Because you will usually have other writers, plus producers, and actors, and any of these people might induce changes which cannot be avoided. And then of course there's the intervention of moral guardians plus corporate executives who don't necessarily want to air a show, but want to maintain "ownership" of the rights to it so that other networks can't get it.

Either is going to involve having to work with other people a lot and, if you are good and make a career of it, eventually awards ceremonies, banquets, parties etc... Obviously a bit less of that as a writer but still, it isn't a loner career.

Even so, I know aspies that do very well in the entertainment industry. I suppose a bit more eccentricity and finickiness is acceptable there than in some other industries.

Were I where you are now, I'd get a portfolio together and audition for bit parts and commercials to test the water as well as writing between auditions or jobs, test it out see what you can do and, later decide if either is what you want, or if you want to pursue both - many do.

I think acting is better by far. My aspie daughter does musical theatre - just an acting class with some singing. She's only 9. The classes give her confidence in her body, moving around, taking space, in her self expression and in her own person. She has a distinct lack of creativity, but this class opens her mind to so many creative ideas that she takes into her own world beyond the classes. She almost appears "normal" (that word again). It has helped her relationships with peers and given her a way to communicate and bond. I couldn't stress just how beneficial these classes are.... and they dont know shes aspie! She is surrounded by odd people of all descriptions and its wonderful!

New Threads

Top Bottom