• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Accessibility Services & Activism

It's a real shame that they want to cut somebody who is so important to some students. Your comments in the article are really good!

Congrats on having your thoughts published in the paper! Hopefully that will greatly help your cause and gain you more support for it.

Thanks guys! I'm really nervous though now because I've got to organize meetings and figure out what we should do. Has anyone done this sort of thing before??

Some students emailed me so we'll have a meeting on Wednesday... but I was thinking a Facebook group would be a good start?
Um.. but what should I call it?

"Learning Support should not be cut" ?

Way to go, fight the power!
I think a facebook group might be a good start. Get some people together, maybe some old students too who graduated, partly due to the help of Learning Support. I think it will be important to see what will be said the 29th. Try to get some statements together, maybe make a pamflet about the importance of Learning Support. Or just an official statement which can be delivered to Bonnie Neuman and the persons who she has to answer to. Try to get the dialogue going on. If they are not willing, then you can always make a press release and do a small demonstration.

You should put your school name in there to.

I was thinking the same. They're probably reluctant of any bad press. But maybe it's best to wait until the 29th when the official statement is released. Just to give them some room to revoke the decision without bad publicity.

I was thinking the same. They're probably reluctant of any bad press. But maybe it's best to wait until the 29th when the official statement is released. Just to give them some room to revoke the decision without bad publicity.

They won't revoke it. It is highly unlikely that we can reverse this decision, but I'll try my best. The article didn't mention it, but I talked to Bonnie Neuman, before the ban...

It was hilariously terrible. She told me that my position was rare, and that she has to make decisions that are best for the majority of students. When I said that's an equity issue, she said "No: it's a budget issue" ...I asked where the money was coming from and she refused to tell me: "The last thing I need is students pestering the government. It's still under negotiation and they might not give us anything; you don't want that to happen, do you?" ... Too bad it wasn't "On the record" So I could quote her, officially.

>>Facebook Group-- I was thinking: "Inspiring Minds?? Which minds, Dalhousie?"
..."inspiring minds" is their slogan...

It was hilariously terrible. She told me that my position was rare, and that she has to make decisions that are best for the majority of students. When I said that's an equity issue, she said "No: it's a budget issue" ...I asked where the money was coming from and she refused to tell me: "The last thing I need is students pestering the government. It's still under negotiation and they might not give us anything; you don't want that to happen, do you?" ... Too bad it wasn't "On the record" So I could quote her, officially.

Hunter Thompson would've said there's no such thing as "of the record", but "then people usually stop talking to you so" so that may not be the way to go.
And she doesn't seem to willing to talk much anyhow.

Anyway, hope you don't mind but I did a quick look around and found some stuff that may or may not be useful.

On the rareness of your position:

http://www.ldac-acta.ca/learn-more/prevalence-of-lds/prevalance-of-learning-disabilities.html

Prevalance of Learning Disabilities

1. According to Statistics Canada, more children in this country have a learning disability than all other types of disabilities combined.
2. According to Statistics Canada, of all the children with disabilities in this country, more than half (59.8%) have a learning disability.
3. Statistics Canada reports that 3.2% of Canadian children have a learning disability ? that?s the equivalent of one child in every school bus full of children.
4. Statistics Canada reports that as children make the transition from home to school, the number diagnosed with a learning disability grows by nearly 25%. These transition years are a key time during which we need to assess children and begin accommodating those with learning disabilities so they can reach their full potential.
5. According to Statistics Canada, more than half a million adults in this country live with a learning disability, making it more challenging for them to learn in universities and colleges, and on the job.
6. According to Statistics Canada, learning disabilities increased considerably between 2001 and 2006 among Canadians aged 15 and over by almost 40 per cent to 631,000 people, making it one of the fastest growing types of disabilities in Canada that isn?t related to aging.
Dalhousie has 15367 enrolled students (http://www.edwiseinternational.com/2010/study-in-canada/universities/dalhousie_university.asp). So let's say 3.2% of have a learning disability. That makes a total of 492 students who are affected by this decision.

In the Student Services Annual Report 2010 (http://studentservices.dal.ca/Files/SSReport10.pdf) services regarding Career Counseling got a student satisfaction rating of 100%. All well in that department I'd say, and yet

With $150,000 in financial support from the Vice-President, Student Services, new technology is being installed to provide one-stop, integrated online career and employment services.
So everybody's happy, yet she invests.

Services for students with disabilities on the other hand went from an approval rating of 59% in 2007 to 86% in 2010. So someone did something right over those years. If Miss Datta's contract is set to expire, she might have well been hired somewhere around 2007/2008.

This article seems very illustrative for the need of a person like Neera Datta.

http://thecommoner.kingsjournalism.com/?p=4496

Apparently, past schoolyear, there were 735 students who registered for the services. Quite a lot more than those 492 I estimated earlier. And according to that article, 1 in 10 Canadians have a learning disability. Rare?

And to close, a quote from the Vice President herself:

http://www.dal.ca/news/2011/03/11/four_students_honoredwithgovernorsawards.html

?I?m humbled by the contributions of these students,? she said. ?We could not be the university we are today without the strong dedication to helping others that our students demonstrate.?
Yes, we need a strong dedication to helping others. The budget should be a reflection of that dedication.

All this sort of reminds me of the time we got a teacher suspended with the Student Counsil at high school. And the slogan reminds me of the time the principal publicly warned me to be dressed up and on my nicest behaviour for graduation day. So I wore sandals, shorts and a t-shirt saying "Choosing Personality" , the school's slogan. She was not amused. :lol:

1) Gonzerd- Do you mind if I lift what you said and use it in the fb page?

2) So I haven't been sleeping so this might be crazy:
I was thinking a creative way of raising awareness would be to stage a "Ninja Day of Action" modeled after the recent "Student Day of Action" that protested the rising tuition costs... Except we'd ask everyone we know to dress in all black in solidarity with our cause (or full out ninja attire... and using only information and signs as "weapons").

Why Ninjas?
-Ninjas are almost invisible > so are we.
-Ninjas are awesome > so are we.
-Protects confidentiality
-People like dressing up as Ninjas. (Ha, I'm hoping).
-It is very visible and will get lots of attention.

... and it's the best way I can see to navigate the system as it's illustrated so nicely on the cover of this week's paper:
http://twitpic.com/4at8kz Haha

3) OMG THE RADIO WANTS TO INTERVIEW ME. [PANIC ATTACK]

2) So I haven't been sleeping so this might be crazy:
I was thinking a creative way of raising awareness would be to stage a "Ninja Day of Action" modeled after the recent "Student Day of Action" that protested the rising tuition costs... Except we'd ask everyone we know to dress in all black in solidarity with our cause (or full out ninja attire... and using only information and signs as "weapons").

Why Ninjas?
-Ninjas are almost invisible > so are we.
-Ninjas are awesome > so are we.
-Protects confidentiality
-People like dressing up as Ninjas. (Ha, I'm hoping).
-It is very visible and will get lots of attention.

At first I was thinking What The Fudge? but then when I read the explanations it seemed like a good idea. Just be sure to make everyone aware of the reasoning behind choosing a ninja theme.

3) OMG THE RADIO WANTS TO INTERVIEW ME. [PANIC ATTACK]

Are you doing the interview over the phone or in the studio? Depending on you personally, one might be better than the other. Myself, I'd rather opt to do the interview in the radio studio as I have a strong dislike for using phones (that's if they will let you choose of course).

Try not to worry too much about it. Remember that being on the spectrum means that you will be nervous about these sorts of things. No-one will be expecting you do give flawless speeches like Obama can. Maybe you could try practice or revise answers to the questions you might be asked?

Congrats by the way on having your campaign go in the right direction.

A mention of your Facebook group and your thread on Aspies Central would help your cause ;)

Hey whale_bone, I don't mind at all. I'd be glad if it can be of any use.

The ninja idea seems nice. And fun! I don't know if there are any special enrollment days when there are a lot of new students coming to campus to get signed in? That might also be a good occasion to stage some sort of protest.

And the whole frontpage? Radio interview? It's going the right way. Try to prepare well I'd say, maybe try to get in contact with the interviewer to go over the questions. I don't know if it's supposed to be live, but I think it might be wise to ask for a prerecorded interview, so there's more time to search for words, or to reiterate. And maybe a cheatsheet with some prepared answers/statements might help.

Anyway, right on! How's the facebookpage coming along?

There's also this article about the school reform and budget cuts (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/02/08/ns-education-budget-cuts.html )

Boards are also being asked to cut administration costs by 15 per cent and consultant fees by 50 per cent over three years.

A briefing Tuesday afternoon from Deputy Education Minister Rosalind Penfound heard that the boards must do that while protecting funding for special needs students, including teaching assistants

I don't know if this is also relevant to universities, and maybe we're not considered to be 'special needs' students, but anyway, funding for special needs should've been protected in the budget.

I think that's great, whale_bone. First, my main obsession from 1980 to the present is Ninjas, but I'd be careful of that as a theme due to other ways it could be interpreted which could negatively impact what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe Ninja badges or logos or all black w/o face coverings? I really like the idea and hope all goes well for you.

I was thinking (doesn't happen that often), if Miss Datta works for three universities, as she said in the article, it might be interesting to see how those universities are dealing with the cuts in funding. Are they scrapping Datta's position too, are were they able to create a budget that would allow her to keep doing the job? How are students reacting over there?
I haven't found any definitive information, but from what I could gather together, I'd say those two college's would be the Nova Scotia College of Art & Design and the University of King's College.

New Threads

Top Bottom