• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Accents??

I'm wondering what the OP means by a "Canadian" accent, since Canada has a variety of accents and dialects. I not only live in Canada, but in Nova Scotia where everyone supposedly has a quaint Irish or Scottish accent. But I've been told that mine is very neutral. Anyway, why do people care so much? I should be allowed to speak in the way that come naturally to me, and it's not like I'm swearing and using bad grammar constantly.

If you've ever watched the South Park movie, or South Park in general, it's a bit of an in joke on there about how some Canadians talk "funny", like they say "aboot" instead of "about" and stuff :p

I'm Northern Irish, I do have an accent but it is very mild and not specific to a geographic area. I've noticed that I don't use that much slang compared to others locally, which is definitely an anomaly.

I don't have the whole 'American' accent thingy.

I'm not sure if this is caused by Aspergers?

I'm a Brit living in the U.S., and I still have a very distinct British accent, so I frequently get comments such as 'I really like your accent'. Apparently, in this part of the U.S., British accents are a big deal. No idea why.

I just say 'I don't have an accent, but I can't help notice that you do'.

I think that confuses them enough hat by the time they think of something to say, I'm already gone.

I'm Northern Irish, I do have an accent but it is very mild and not specific to a geographic area. I've noticed that I don't use that much slang compared to others locally, which is definitely an anomaly.

I don't have the whole 'American' accent thingy.

I'm not sure if this is caused by Aspergers?

No, Irish people in general do have a distinctive accent, especially Northern Irish.

Have you ever seen Brendan O'Carroll, aka Mrs Brown on TV? Not sure if he's typical of all Northern Irish guys but he swears like a trooper, and talks really broad Irish.

No, Irish people in general do have a distinctive accent, especially Northern Irish.

Have you ever seen Brendan O'Carroll, aka Mrs Brown on TV? Not sure if he's typical of all Northern Irish guys but he swears like a trooper, and talks really broad Irish.

Brendan O Carroll is from the Republic of Ireland which is a completely different accent.

I couldn't undestand cockney accent. l kept asking people to decipher what the bloke was saying to me at dinner. Have gone into full fledge hawaiian pidegon to get group of locals off my property. It worked.

New Threads

Top Bottom