• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

About autism

autism advice

• Mental Health

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joe aiello

My daughter who is 2 years old got diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder not to long ago since then myself and her mother have notice different types of behavioral issues even though we work closely with early intervention services and are waiting for ABA Services to become apart of my daughters life until preschool starts she enjoys spinning in circles things have to be put certain ways her behavior is excessive(crying,banging her head,aggressiveness towards younger sister sometimes) She is very delayed when it comes to speech she is most likely in the range of 10-15 words without combined words she had very difficulties with gross motor but has improved a lot with that she refused to eat a lot of different kinds of foods for supper which is kinda weird cause a year or so ago before all this new information she was eatting just fine(Chicken,Sausages,Steaks,Hot dogs,Kelibsa,tuna,ect) I mean she really was eatting well now id be lucky if i can get her to eat at all theses past 2 days I had to hide her food or add something to it to make it more her suit to say so she eats it I know she has sensory issues and oral problems as well Im just looking for friendly advice from other moms or dads that deal with this kind of diagnoses please dont leave comments if your going bash me or what not hopefully i can connect with a few people and help ease the tension on our end to make it a smoother ride.. Thanks for everything in advance and hope to talk to you guys soon!!

Joe.

I'm not a parent, but you might want to do some more research on ABA therapy. While its efficacy is demonsterable there is a rising tide of people speaking out against it. Many individuals who have been subject to it describe the experience as traumatizing. They also say that it teaches children to be compliant and to surrender their personal space and autonomy, thus leaving them vulnerable to sexual exploitation.

I am not trying to "bash" or otherwise insult you. I sincerely believe that you have your daughters best intersts in mind. I simply urge you to consider the autistic perspective and weigh your options carefully.

So if your not a parent are you someone who has been in ABA Services before and second where is this type of assumation coming from do you have proof it doesn't work i mean so far your the only person that has written to this forum and to be honest before i took anything into conserdiation i would love to hear more information on this assume rumor you been hearing about this aba service and how its not effective as people would say it is from a parents point of view i believe a child needs such standards if the child is acting out,misbehaving,bitting,kicking,banging their head ect they need a more aggressive approarch where i stand is Early intervention does just more less play time with the children and ABA will do more aggressive tatics such as if my child was to not pick up they will make them pick up the toys before going onto another activity same with hitting or biting if the child is doing that they will send them straight to timeout and stick with that discpline rather then give in with a reward like early intervention would when the time is over i mean many people may bash aba but unless you have been in aba and had a terrible experience that could have been your area maybe it wasnt for you maybe it you weren't ready or maybe you never need the service whatever your deal is with ABA is respect it and thank you for your feedback i will be looking more into it but aba will be different everywhere some places and programs will be better then others.

Yours truly Joe.

I do not have an ASD diagnosis and have therefore never been subject to ABA therapy. I have, however, read the testemony of people who have been through ABA and suffered as a result. There seems to be a general consensus in the Neurodiversity movement that these practices can be dammaging which is why I urged caution. It is true that ABA is not a uniform method, and how it is practiced can differe greatly. Also, for insurance reasons, therapists will label their therapies ABA even if they aren't adhering strictly to the method.

I am sorry that I was not able to find the articles I was originally referring to. Performing a standard search brought up either organizations who provide ABA or mainstream media organizations who's coverage on the subject is fairly conservative. Perhaps some of the members here could provide some links.

Also; the parents section on this forum isn't all that active. You might want to try some forums that are geared more toward parents of autistic children, if you haven't already.

New Threads

Top Bottom