• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

About an official diagnosis...

maj20010

I've been wondering if receiving a diagnosis for Asperger's syndrome would affect my professional career negatively. Also if it did, could I simply chose to not disclose that information?

I've been wondering if receiving a diagnosis for Asperger's syndrome would affect my professional career negatively. Also if it did, could I simply chose to not disclose that information?

It is up to you, you do not have to tell anybody if you do not want to. I do not tell anyone who does not need to know.

It is just as cig said, by and large it would be your choice. Some employers would make exceptions for people with disabilities and other may penalise you for it.

By the way, I don't personally think Asperger's is a disability but many groups like the govt do.

If you feel the need to get an official answer to what makes you tick,then by all means,get it done.
Many employers will see it as a disability or a flaw and cast you to the side,so I would be careful who you share it with.

New Threads

Top Bottom